Am i the only one who likes to work out alone

Options
I prefer to work out alone. When ever people say we should go together I have an urge to scream "no leave me alone" in the voice of a five year old who doesn't want to share their toys.
I am going to work out not chat, I don't want to alter my workout to suite your pace, I don't want to hear about your day, your husband, your kid, your family or friends. I want to get on the tread mill put on my headphones and do my thing.
I work in a school, I love my job, but I am with people from 830 am until 530 pm, then I go home have dinner with my DH & DD. plus 2 days a weeks I coach cheer leading after work so I am literally with people from 830 am- 830pm, then we have games Sat. & Sun. For about 3 hours, we cheer for girls & boys varsity games.

So no I don't want to meet you at the gym I want to be blissfully left alone for my one hour work out, why can't people understand this? Even people who don't want to work out with me are shocked I go by myself and wouldn't it be more fun with a friend they say.

Am I truly the only one who likes to work out alone?

Replies

• 141by2016
    Options
    No, you are not alone. I started out running with some girls from school, and slowly they stopped showing up. At first I was hurt and frustrated, then I realized I actually like it better and push myself harder when no one is there.
  • NakeshiaB
    NakeshiaB Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Nope I prefer it and I actually do a better job if I work out alone. Having someone beside me pushing me is too much pressure and I'm more likely to give up. Kind of always been this way, taught myself to tie my shoes, read time, swim and I train by myself for jogging. It might take longer but I get there eventually!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    You're not alone. I never saw the point of it. I go to work out. End.
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Nope, just like you, I need that time to myself. I'm around people and on the phone all day, so I need some quiet head space where I can just blast some music and work at my own pace.
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    i prefer it i get in and out quicker and dont get annoyed when my friends wanna waste time talking lol
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I workout alone too and I love it! I like it when it is only me in the room. Another reason why I can never commit to the gym. I'm happy with my little stash of various dumbbells, resistance bands and workout videos in the comfort of my home. I tend to commit more to exercise that way too.
  • melody0830
    Options
    You're not alone. I never saw the point of it. I go to work out. End.

Yep^^^^
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I only like to work out alone because I've never worked out with someone who had the same goals or was as into it as I was. I'd love a workout buddy who was my fitness twin.
  • Faericn_Rising
    Options
    I have never worked outwith another person, and i have no intentions of doing so.
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I have never worked outwith another person, and i have no intentions of doing so.

This, to the letter. I don't see the point of walking or running with other people, either.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Unless that person is my trainer, I don't like to workout with somebody. I tend to lose focus whenever I'm with somebody else. Moreover I get pissed off whenever I'm being watched while working out.
  • Faericn_Rising
    Options
    I lied: I DDR with my fiancee on the VERY rare occasion....However, hes a lot better than me, so it is a challenge, not something that holds me back. but other than that, nobody ever in the world.....
  • AngelicxAnnihilation
    Options
    At this point in time, I'm still closed in my own box. Unless I'm doing something fitness like with my man or my best friend, I work out alone. Maybe as I become more fit and comfortable with myself that will change if that day ever comes lol.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    We generally go to the gym as a family but once we are there, I pretty much do my routine. I may talk with whomever is there if it is convenient. It is part of my therapy of sorts to be able to tune folks out... I too teach and my days can be very long at times... (I teach band)... So after school rehearsals are far from uncommon... by the end of the day, I am ready for a little shut-down time.. Sometimes I am that way @ lunch.
  • samerzz16
    Options
    Usually I prefer working out alone but recently I liked having someone come with me just as motivational support (someone to yell at me) and as a spotter when I lift heavy. When I start cutting again in a few months, I will start working out alone again.
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Priincess_Natalie Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Nope. I'm the same way. I used to think I wanted a workout partner but I realized quickly that I don't. I just want to get in there and tune the world out. I get in the zone. My thoughts flow freely and uninterrupted and that's the only point in my day when I feel like it's ALL about me.

This does not apply to my group classes though. I do enjoy the joking and talking that takes place during that time but I do not want that to carry over into my lifting/running/alone time at the gym.
  • brendaschmitt1
    Options
    You are not alone I prefer going solo too. I can concentrate on my workout better.
  • kathrynlouiseellis
    Options
    I prefer to workout alone or with my PT is ok, but there's nobody else there just myself and him. I used to go to group outdoor training but I found that ok but sometimes I'd feel slow or self conscious or just hated being with a crowd, so definitely alone for me and I stopped going to group training as well because I don't want to talk, be friends or talk about the weekend, I'm here to train and I'm the type of person who gives it my all, totally with you!
  • shrinking_me
    shrinking_me Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    another loner here . . . much prefer to go at my own pace lol
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I prefer to workout alone. I need that time for myself. But every once in a while, to catch up with my friends from the old neighborhood when I go visit, we do go workout together & it's really fun. But they know I'm serious & that they should expect to be there for two hours, if not don't even bother going with me. One time my friend begged to come with me & after 20 minutes she wanted to leave. I refused (and she was driving) & I reminded her that she agreed to my terms. She pouted & putzed around for a half hour or so and then just sat & watched me, lol.

Edited cuz my phone types whatever it wants quite often.