Is Peanut Butter holding me back?

Options
I have a banana and peanut butter sandwich every morning and I think its keeping my weight loss at a stand-still, its the only thing I can think of that might be having an effect, although I thought peanut butter was healthy. Usually one whole banana on one piece of whole wheat and 6tablespoons of peanutbutter or more, sometimes with a little honey.

the rest of my diet is clean so I think that im underestimating the calories of this morning snack.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Your total calorie intake for the day will determine your loss. If your breakfast fits in your budget it isn't causing a problem. 6 tbsps of peanut butter is a lot of calories though!
  • carla1958
    Options
    The calories in the sandwich you describe are around 1000 so I would say yes it could be holding you back. Peanut butter is extremely dense with calories (about 125 per tablespoon) so when I use it I keep it to one tablespoon. Good luck!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I have a banana and peanut butter sandwich every morning and I think its keeping my weight loss at a stand-still, its the only thing I can think of that might be having an effect, although I thought peanut butter was healthy. Usually one whole banana on one piece of whole wheat and 6tablespoons of peanutbutter or more, sometimes with a little honey.

the rest of my diet is clean so I think that im underestimating the calories of this morning snack.

What is your total calorie budget for the day?

Because right now you're probably consuming close to half of it (if not more) in a PB and banana sandwich.

EDIT: And how the hell do you breathe after eating that? I'd worry about suffocating. LOL
  • jhstroebel
    jhstroebel Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'll let someone else address if 6 tablespoons of peanut butter is bad for your diet, but if it is you might look into trying PB2 which is a lower calorie, lower fat peanut butter. I bought some recently and its actually pretty good! Its made by taking roasted peanuts and pressing out all the oil and fat and then its packaged dry. You take a tablespoon out and mix in 2 tablespoons of water and it becomes the consistency of normal peanut butter.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Your total calorie intake for the day will determine your loss. If your breakfast fits in your budget it isn't causing a problem. 6 tbsps of peanut butter is a lot of calories though!

I agree completely. It's all about the calories.

Also, the original poster states the rest of their diet is "clean." As long as you aren't using that fake PB with added sugar and oils (like traditional Jif, Skippy, etc.), then your sandwich is completely clean. However, 2 tablespoons of the PB I use (ingredients: peanuts, salt) runs me 200 calories. That means your 6 tablespoons would be a whopping 600 calories, which is way more than I have available daily to devote to peanut butter!
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    6tbps of peanut butter on one sandwich? You crazy! 1tbsp is like 100 cals
  • freedomischaos
    freedomischaos Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Check out PB2 as an alternative to processed peanut butter. It has significantly less calories that most peanut butter today, you just have to add water first.
  • jhstroebel
    jhstroebel Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    2 tbps of PB2 is only 45 calories!

http://www.bellplantation.com/nutrition
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Are you actually measuring the 6 tbsp? You could be having much more than you think.

Edit: I completely understand your love of PB. I'll put 4 or 5 tablespoons in my oatmeal.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    how dare you talk about peanut butter like that!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

This. Exactly.

Your dairy is closed so we can't really help, but you're looking at something like 1000 cals just in that sandwich.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    one slice whole wheat toast: 110
    6 Tablespoons peanut butter: 600+
    Banana: 120

That's an 830 calorie snack. Don't give up your peanut butter, just cut it back to a serving size of 2 tablespoons. And go with the all natural no sugar added one (Smucker's makes the best one, IMO).
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter if it's peanut butter or ham or marshmallows or vodka... if you're eating at a caloric deficit, you're okay. If you're still not losing, maybe it's time to look over your diary.
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    That is 600 calories in pb alone.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Love peanut butter, just can't eat it because the number of calories it contains is huge. Is that PB2 any good?
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    Options

What is your total calorie budget for the day?

Because right now you're probably consuming close to half of it (if not more) in a PB and banana sandwich.

EDIT: And how the hell do you breathe after eating that? I'd worry about suffocating. LOL

Yeah, I'd be licking the roof of my mouth all morning. Like a beagle, but less cute.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

6 tablespoons? lol, that's like 1200 calories or more.. you must be trolling.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    Options
    Is that PB2 any good?

Not to me. Rather eat real and just eat less of it.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I'd be licking the roof of my mouth all morning. Like a beagle, but less cute.

lol... the mental image... lol
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I bet it's a damn good sammich though.