Is Peanut Butter holding me back?

Options

Replies

• NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Your total calorie intake for the day will determine your loss. If your breakfast fits in your budget it isn't causing a problem. 6 tbsps of peanut butter is a lot of calories though!

^ this. 6 tablespoons is like over 1000 calories alone!
  • EnderNC
    EnderNC Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I have a banana and peanut butter sandwich every morning and I think its keeping my weight loss at a stand-still, its the only thing I can think of that might be having an effect, although I thought peanut butter was healthy. Usually one whole banana on one piece of whole wheat and 6tablespoons of peanutbutter or more, sometimes with a little honey.

the rest of my diet is clean so I think that im underestimating the calories of this morning snack.

I have peanut butter and banana every morning too
  • justjenny
    justjenny Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    6 tablespoons? That's like 3 servings. Depending on the peanut butter 2 tablespoons is one serving and is close to 200 calories. I would try eating just one serving, (or half of one serving). This way you can have your peanut butter not undo your day. :smile:
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    How does six tablespoons fit on slice of bread? Yes cut back on the peanut butter, maybe have banana or toast because you have high glycaemic index carbs with a dense fat source which encourages insulin production and fat storage if there are spare calories.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Is that PB2 any good?

Not to me. Rather eat real and just eat less of it.

this

plus it's expensive
  • superpapa16
    superpapa16 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Love peanut butter, just can't eat it because the number of calories it contains is huge. Is that PB2 any good?

It's a decent substitute. It doesn't taste exactly like pb, and I haven't yet tried it on a sandwhich, but it is good if you throw it into smoothies or eat it with sliced fruit.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    It doesn't matter if it's peanut butter or ham or marshmallows or vodka... if you're eating at a caloric deficit, you're okay. If you're still not losing, maybe it's time to look over your diary.

14si820.jpg
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    Your total calorie intake for the day will determine your loss. If your breakfast fits in your budget it isn't causing a problem. 6 tbsps of peanut butter is a lot of calories though!

it's actually about 600 calories (three servings at 200 per serving)
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of peanut butter!
    Could be that it's too much and you're going over your allowance but its a lot of peanut butter!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Psh! Bringing math into it!

But just to be even more precise, 6T of peanut butter is 555 calories.

And 6T of PB on one sandwich?? I love peanut butter, but that is WAY too much! Why are you using so much????
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options

6 tablespoons? lol, that's like 1200 calories or more.. you must be trolling.

That was my first thought too...

OP(if you're real and not trolling :grumble: ) I love peanut butter as well, HATE that PB2 stuff but I'm good with 1 serving of peanut butter-which is about 1/3 of what you use and it's enough to fill me up
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

double Psh

my Trader Joe's brand PB is 190 per serving. So...570 total
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Depends on the PB. Wegmans organic creamy is 200 cals per serving (2 tbsp), so 6 tbsp would in fact be 600.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

double Psh

my Trader Joe's brand PB is 190 per serving. So...570 total
    Aw crap. I can't even do math with a calculator! lol
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I love this thread!

So, as everyone said, if it fits in your cals, it's fine. I tried pb2 for my protein bars because I wanted pb flavor on top of the pb I could "afford" in my cals. It's okay, but I won't buy it again. I prefer to just make protein bars pb free and then put 1 serving on top to eat it.

Oh, also, serving size for pb should be measured, not guessed because its calorically dense and 1 serving is smaller than what most people think.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options

Haha my bad. I just checked, 750 calories for 6 tablespoons in one of Australia's brands.
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I have a banana and peanut butter sandwich every morning and I think its keeping my weight loss at a stand-still, its the only thing I can think of that might be having an effect, although I thought peanut butter was healthy. Usually one whole banana on one piece of whole wheat and 6tablespoons of peanutbutter or more, sometimes with a little honey.

the rest of my diet is clean so I think that im underestimating the calories of this morning snack.

I have peanut butter and banana every morning too

Me too, just not 6tbs worth *kitten*!
  • xceptional1
    xceptional1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping the amout of Tablespoons that you're consuming is a typo but if it isn't you may want to consider actually measuring and only have one serving of whatever PB that you're eating. Good Luck :happy:
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Maybe the OP means teaspoons...so 6 t = 2 T = 1 serving.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Maybe the OP means teaspoons...so 6 t = 2 T = 1 serving.

Just what I was thinking. Maybe she meant tsp rather than tbsp.

So that would make the sandwich:

one slice whole wheat toast: 110
    6 Teaspoons (2 tablespoons) peanut butter: 200
    Banana: 120

Much better! And much easier to fit in your daily calorie budget.