THE MYTH OF MOTIVATION (AND WHAT YOU NEED INSTEAD)

Options

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I hated it.

"You are going to die. And neglecting your health and fitness is more likely to hasten your departure."

^ Whoever said that being a certain amount of kg over your healthy weight is going to kill you in advance? Not all overweight people are unhealthy, especially if they're not consistently overweight. Also, since my life is going to be that short, I might prefer to enjoy food rather than eating less most of my life, so this doesn't really work as a motivational/or/whatever speech.

in no way does the original author speak that being overweight is unhealthy. he clearly states "neglecting your health and fitness is more likely to hasten your departure." it is not an absolute. it is a maybe statement.
    Also,

"Enduring chemotherapy is hard.
    Hitting a fast ball in the major leagues in hard.
    Negotiating nuclear disarmament from a hostile nation is hard.
    Saying goodbye to a loved one in the hospital or the veterinarian’s office for the last time is hard.
    But putting down the cookies and picking up the spinach? That’s only as hard as the story we tell ourselves."

^ This is completely irrational. Someone is ALWAYS going to be suffering more than I am. Someone right now is suffering less than I am. Does this make anyone's suffering irrelevant? No, it doesn't. That's just not how things work. Nobody ever said starting a diet was as painful as going to war. Nobody ever even tried to make this comparision. So where's the need to make such a comparision? We're human beings, and I didn't know there was a measurable scale for feelings.

yes, he talks about the suffering of a cancer patient, but also about the hardship of training to hit a 90 mph fastball, and the heartbreak of loss.

and if you don't think that people don't complain about how hard it is to eat right, you need to look at the forums more often.

but like he says, eating healthier is not hard.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I hated it.

"You are going to die. And neglecting your health and fitness is more likely to hasten your departure."

^ Whoever said that being a certain amount of kg over your healthy weight is going to kill you in advance? Not all overweight people are unhealthy, especially if they're not consistently overweight. Also, since my life is going to be that short, I might prefer to enjoy food rather than eating less most of my life, so this doesn't really work as a motivational/or/whatever speech.

in no way does the original author speak that being overweight is unhealthy. he clearly states "neglecting your health and fitness is more likely to hasten your departure." it is not an absolute. it is a maybe statement.
    Also,

"Enduring chemotherapy is hard.
    Hitting a fast ball in the major leagues in hard.
    Negotiating nuclear disarmament from a hostile nation is hard.
    Saying goodbye to a loved one in the hospital or the veterinarian’s office for the last time is hard.
    But putting down the cookies and picking up the spinach? That’s only as hard as the story we tell ourselves."

^ This is completely irrational. Someone is ALWAYS going to be suffering more than I am. Someone right now is suffering less than I am. Does this make anyone's suffering irrelevant? No, it doesn't. That's just not how things work. Nobody ever said starting a diet was as painful as going to war. Nobody ever even tried to make this comparision. So where's the need to make such a comparision? We're human beings, and I didn't know there was a measurable scale for feelings.

yes, he talks about the suffering of a cancer patient, but also about the hardship of training to hit a 90 mph fastball, and the heartbreak of loss.

and if you don't think that people don't complain about how hard it is to eat right, you need to look at the forums more often.

I think lots of folks complain about eating right being hard, here on the forums. I think the "myth of motivation" from Vic Margay is telling them that they are both wrong for finding it hard, and whining for finding it hard. If you believe that he is not saying these things, you're certainly entitled to read it that way.
  • horsehelpnow
    horsehelpnow Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • gguarnere
    Options
    Love this! :) Bump!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Love this! :) Bump!

you're welcome
  • Kookyk9s
    Kookyk9s Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Quote stole from another MFP member
    "there is a difference between interest and commitment. When you are interested in something, you do it only when it is convenient . When you are connitted to something, you accept no excuses, only results."

Kenneth Blanchard
  • jaxterbom
    Options
    I agree with the need for decision, and would add that successful dieting helps self-motivate for more successful dieting.
  • proudjmmom
    proudjmmom Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Love love love!!!!!!

Excellent read! Very true!
  • 2Dozen
    2Dozen Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Count it!!
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Bump because, oh hell yeah!
  • fat2fabulous29
    Options
    Great read! love it.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Timely resurrection.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options

I don't think the idea is bad, it's just the way he wrote about it that's misleading. He's using examples that can't be compared to weightloss. It's way too easy to make such comparisions, but I don't think they work quite fine, it's just theatrical.
  • Donners185
    Donners185 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Love this!!! I find more and more now that when I eat junk I get so annoyed with myself. Not because it will scupper my chances at my next weigh in or measurement but because I'm putting crap into my body. I still enjoy the odd treat and cheat meal but slowly and surely I am reprogramming myself to eat stuff that is good for me, stuff that will benefit my body. The mindset is slowly changing!!!
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of a quote in the Matrix Revolutions when Neo is in the final battle with Smith.
    Smith can't understand why Neo doesn't just give up the fight.

"Why, why do you do it? Why get up? Why keep fighting? Do you believe you're fighting for something? Can you tell me what it is? Do you even know? Why, why why do you persist?"

Neo's response:

"Because I choose to." - as simple as that!

Of course this scene is specific to the plot of the Matrix but the idea of choice and having the ability to make a choice is something so powerful that it can change everything and really make a difference.
  • MelissaHarris79
    Options
    This is true in EVERY way!! Thank you for this post! It made me cry!! Thank you thank you thank you!!!
  • royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I loved this, thanks for sharing this!
  • jlmuise25
    jlmuise25 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this! I loved reading this!!
  • ochibi91
    ochibi91 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Awesome post. I truly believe that it was my lack of willpower and discipline which prevented me from making any progress.

Bump!