Weight is really just genetic

Options
Why do we all even try to lose weight when in the end it is almost entirely genetic? Look at twins they are always the same weight +/- 15 ibs. They have done studies where twins were separated at birth and raised by seperate families. Researchers examined both their BMI and weight and they are always almost exactly the same weight as their twin not taking after the family that raised them.

Replies

• jameseylefebure
    jameseylefebure Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    bump - im not missing the trolls when they come in to eat this thread alive!
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    If weight is just genetic, why do so many people on this site lose weight by changing their habits? You can be genetically predisposed to be more overweight than someone else, but it doesn't mean you have no chance of correcting it.
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Oh dear
  • katcunock
    katcunock Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    bump - im not missing the trolls when they come in to eat this thread alive!

goes and grabs some popcorn
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    Genetics didn't pre-wire me to eat all those nutty bars, doritos, and double whoppers.
  • ceceoplaymate
    ceceoplaymate Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    EH. I beg to differ.
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Genetics didn't pre-wire me to eat all those nutty bars, doritos, and double whoppers.

Don't say that - you're hurting my excuses!
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    If this were true I would be as skinny as my mom and brother.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I'm just big boned
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Why do we all even try to lose weight when in the end it is almost entirely genetic? Look at twins they are always the same weight +/- 15 ibs. They have done studies where twins were separated at birth and raised by seperate families. Researchers examined both their BMI and weight and they are always almost exactly the same weight as their twin not taking after the family that raised them.

what is the sample size of these twins that were separated at birth? I am sure that is a large sample size.......now really..........certain behaviors/fidgets/etc might be hereditary. These affect weight. Saying that weight is genetic is something fat lazy people say to make themselves feel better. Nothing is predetermined.
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I would recommend a 3-day juice fast and cleanse to jump start a genetic transformation.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I think you meant to say Jeanetic. You are only as big as the Jeans you fit into.
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    *shakes fist at parents* It's all their fault!!! :noway:
  • alissaminten
    alissaminten Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Love the attitude! There are many, many success stories. Yes, might be harder for some with genetic predispositions, but not anywhere near impossible!
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Its jeanetic because when I eat the ****ty food my parents raised me with I have to buy bigger jeans.
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Bump interesting
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options

Hey, stop implying its my fault I ate all those doritos. GENETICS fed me doritos.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    mary_kate_and_ashley_olsen.jpg

Thats as far as I got googeling twins, got distracted
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    My parents were both dual sport athletes. My mom STILL is in insanely good shape and while my dad put on a few pounds over the past ten years, he's not obese. My brother is 6'2'' and about 140 lbs.

Yet here I am, the heaviest person in my household. Genetics didn't do that to me. I did that to myself with years of mistreatment of my body and an addiction to food.

Are there certain genetic triggers that can effect it? Yeah. My grandmother is incredibly thin fit and active and has ALWAYS had just crazy high blood pressure. That's genetic. Obesity is not a physical illness( most of the time) it's a mental.
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.. I guess with the rise in population .. all the fat people of the world are mating and creating/multiplying all the fat people in the world. Does this mean the skinny people are on the endangered species list?