Weight is really just genetic

Options

Replies

• mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I don't really know what to say about this. I could blame parents for bad eating habits and not doing the grovery shopping and leaving teenagers to buy food and my sister and I mostly bought Little Debbies to feed ourselves and our little brother and sister. Although, after being on my own it was my own bad choices that led me to being overweight. I do have one overly skinny parent and one over weight. This could be an intresting thread to follow. I have raised two children and one is skinny and the other is slightly overweight but his weight is at a standstill. Hasn't gained since I started losing. Both my sons seem to like to snack but the youngest os more food obsessed than the oldest son. I guess gentics could possibly play a role but are we just gonna buy into that and eat fast food or move our butts to beat it??
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a cop-out to me...

This^^^...exactly, it's an excuse and a cop-out. It's the, "well...God made me this way." As far as genetics go, genetics are the reason I'm 5' 10"...genetics pre-dispose me to high cholesterol, heart disease, and hypertension. All the more reason I need to eat a proper diet and exercise. Genetics didn't make me into a fat *kitten* mammal...I did that all on my own which have in turn hastened the above pre-dispositions. It's not too late, I"m doing something about it...hard work and dedication go much further than excuses and cop-outs.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    You're absolutely right. My parents are both overweight and diabetic with debilitating physical ailments in their 60's & my brother is severely overweight.

Why fight it?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Every single member of my family, including extended family, is overweight or obese. But it's not genetic, we all over eat and don't exercise. Whatever part genetics does play in weight, I believe can be corrected through diet and exercise.

It's like when my Mom says we have a history of heart disease in our family, we don't actually - we just have a family history of smoking, drinking whiskey and pouring gravy on everything.

^^ Same here....except for one cousin who never stopped running on a regular basis after high school. Strangely enough, she stayed skinny! :laugh:
  • Amber1070
    Amber1070 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    If you limit your calories and up your exercise you will loose weight.... period. It's not set in stone. What you eat and how active you are however is something that is handed down sometimes. If you grow up not active and eating bad foods as a kid then you will continue to do so until you break the cycle. Loose the snacks and bad high fat foods and get out there and move around! Everyone can loose weight they just have to commit to it and get it done.
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Eh.... I'm the only overweight person in my family, extended family included (there's like 60 of us....)
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    You're absolutely right. My parents are both overweight and diabetic with debilitating physical ailments in their 60's & my brother is severely overweight.

Why fight it?

You again.

tumblr_m1k06mtUDW1qjximx.gif
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    bump - im not missing the trolls when they come in to eat this thread alive!

goes and grabs some popcorn

Can I sit with you and share your popcorn?????

I will bring the twizzlers.... They are fat free, so we can eat a whole tub full.

Oh, and my Mom gave them to me, so any weight I gain from them are genetics.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I knew some twins in high school.

One was a fat *kitten*, the other is very toned and athletic.

Explain that to me.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Waaaaah my genetics made me fat = an excuse.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I middle school, I knew identical triplets... it was interesting because one was skinny, another average, and the third was quite chubby.
  • jnoring
    Options
    I promise you know one in my family 80 years ago was fat. We are all fat now due to convenience and processed garbage food.
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    bump - im not missing the trolls when they come in to eat this thread alive!

QFT
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Genetics didn't pre-wire me to eat all those nutty bars, doritos, and double whoppers.

Or drink all that Mt. Dew!

Is it really genetics? Or could it be that a whole family is fat because they have bad habits? Kids learn (some if not most) of their eating habits from their parents. I seldom see fat kids that don't have fat parents.

And yes, most twins will be similar weights....you know why? They learned the same HABITS from their parents.

I'm sure genetics play a part, but not to the point of it being an excuse.
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    If I remember correctly from university biology, genetics are a predisposition but not necessarily destiny. So you may be genetically predisposed to heart disease or cancer, but it doesn't mean you have to develop them. It just means it is worthwhile taking extra steps to avoid them.

Genetics are just one of many factors affecting health. Our choices still matter.
  • mary_kate_and_ashley_olsen.jpg

Thats as far as I got googeling twins, got distracted

just - omFg!!!!!!!!!!
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I middle school, I knew identical triplets... it was interesting because one was skinny, another average, and the third was quite chubby.
    I knew identical triplets too. One built a house made of straw, another of sticks and one of bricks.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I knew identical triplets too. One built a house made of straw, another of sticks and one of bricks.

Were they fat?
  • chickfromsc
    Options
    Peeks in....runs away!
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options

Why fight it?

You again.

tumblr_m1k06mtUDW1qjximx.gif

I'll be here all day.

wkuk-deer_o_GIFSoupcom.gif