Cremation vs. Burial - Pets

Options
1235»

Replies

• tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned this yet, but it's against the law in a lot of urban areas to bury your pet in your yard.
  • auntkk28
    auntkk28 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I work at an animal shelter and cremation is a service we provide and for a very reasonable price ($85.00 - $125.00 for private cremation depending on weight) so you may want to compare pricing if possible. Growing up the only option for me was to bury in the backyard but since I've moved to Florida I've had my pets cremated. Actually my first dog was cremated when I lived up north but I was an adult and was able to pay to for the service. I like having them with me and as far as urns go you can find them online for reasonable prices or get creative, I had a customer bring in her cat's treat jar for an urn (we allow customers to provide their own urn or purchase one from us or take the carved teak box that is included in our pricing). There is no right or wrong answer here, to each his own I say:)
  • miaagar3
    miaagar3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My oldests dog who's five has epilepsy and is getting put down tomorow . he is getting cremated but I feel really sad because he still has at least 10 years of his life left.but he also has bit 3 people and always runs away if we leave the door open.he is a nervous wreck and his brain is pretty messed up but he's really smart.can someone help me.:-(
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    pet-sematary-1989-movie-8.jpg
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    It's so hard to lose a loved pet!

I have buried one dog, she had grown up and lived all of her life in the neighborhood where we buried her (in the woods). We felt like that was "home" to her.

All the others have been cremated. Most of them are in boxes in our closet, yes, a bit morbid. The only one I know that I want to spread her ashes anywhere is our lab. She has grown up going to my parents' lake house and loves the water, so we'll sprinkle her ashes up there. We also had spread my mom's ashes in the water up there last October because she loved the lake, and she loved our lab, so they'll be together again when the old girl passes away. The boys like to be wherever I am, so they'll end up wherever I end up. Both my husband and I will be cremated.
  • chrissyrenee1029
    chrissyrenee1029 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Growing up in the country we always buried our dogs out in the woods, except for my daddy's dog that was his buddy while he fought cancer...he couldn't bring himself to put him in the woods and he's buried in mama and daddy's backyard.

Now that we're in the 'burbs though I'm leaning toward cremation for our fur babies. Our oldest will be 9 next month and he was a birthday present from hubby to me right after we got married. I couldn't stand the thought of moving someday and not being able to take him with me :(
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    When my cat passed away I had her cremated but I didn't want the ashes back which made it profoundly cheaper. I don't remember how much it was, but I'm sure it was under $100. I'm sure size of the animal affects price (I haven't read all the posts so don't know if you mentioned if it's a big dog or not).

I didn't want the ashes because I'd rather think of her as she was when she was alive and remember her by looking at her pictures. i did get the paw print clay thing, and I'm glad I have it but honestly I keep it in a drawer because I get sad when I look at it because I know she was dead whent hey did it. I'm considering getting them made for my two cats now while they are still alive so I can hang them up now and remember doing it with them alive and well (and probably not being very cooperative haha).

The family pets were all cremated with no ashes returned as well when I was growing up.

I'm sorry that you will have to face that soon. I know how hard it is and even now with my healthy middle aged cats I dread the day I will have to say goodbye to them.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I'd choose cremation and let the vet dispose of the ashes.

+1

I am just not sentimental about the remains of people or animals, at all. My thought process is that they no longer exist, except in the hearts & memories of those left behind...so it doesn't really matter.

As for the price of cremation sounding VERY high in the OP's post, I agree, but then I have only had small pets...perhaps it is much more expensive for large breed dogs? Just a thought. It would kind of make sense. Sorry to sound crass or morbid, but cremating an 8 lb dog versus a 120 lb dog would be much more difficult and require more resources.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I struggled with that one myself 2 and a half years ago. In the long run, because the place we are in we took him to my SIL's house and buried him along with their cats that they have lost. We know that they will be in the home forever, and one of their girls will end up moving in when the time comes..... or another family member will. I think if we had not had that option we would have cremated.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Pet fish get flushed.
    Pet birds get thrown out in the trash.
    Pet Cats and Dogs get buried in the garden.
    Ex-wives get buried in the basement.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    when I lost my best friend she was cremated (not with other bodies on her own because I did not want her being mixed up with other animals) and she is now in a beautiful urn

it cost a **** load more than I think most people would pay for

but it was worth it 100% she saved my life over and over and the thought of her just being tossed away made me/makes me *kitten* sick

great now im going to cry
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Honestly, with my animals, I would shoot them myself and bury them myself on my land. Free.

But it's not about the money AT ALL. I think it's more special/respectable to do the deed myself and of course give them a proper burial. Some won't understand.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I am not comfortable with cremation.

When the time comes, I think I will bury my dog in the backyard.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options

this is not funny
  • CindyLou1707
    CindyLou1707 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    We cremated two cats we've lost. Mass graves make me so sad. Yes, it was costly but not so much that for us it broke the bank.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options

this is not funny

It's a little funny.
  • triciabh1
    triciabh1 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Pet fish get flushed.
    Pet birds get thrown out in the trash.
    Pet Cats and Dogs get buried in the garden.

Oh my, this is funny!

We have our own septic system and since we don't like flushing non-waste material my husband decided to throw our dead goldfish (who committed suicide btw) out into the yard. We walked outside the next morning and the damn cat had "hunted" it and left on our doorstep. :huh: :laugh:

We have both of our dogs, who we had for 10 and 13 years, buried in our back yard. We are hopefully living on our forever property but in the case we do move I'm hoping to come visit their graves every now and then anyway.