somewhat discouraged

Options
13»

Replies

• kaypee65
    kaypee65 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    It's easy to get discouraged when we're working hard and not making the progress we're wanting. The only thing I can add to what others have said is that it might me worth consulting a physician just to rule out thyroid problems or any other imbalances that might be making it hard for you.
  • LinkousSara
    LinkousSara Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    More protein.

Walking damages cells. Breathing damages cells. Exercising REALLY damages cells.

Cells do not magically get repaired. They require new supplies (proteins) and energy (calories) to do this. Much like when a house has a car drive through it, you usually need to buy new wood, plaster, insulation, etc. to make the repairs.

If you do not supply enough protein, then the body will not use the energy it would have for the repairs. Why work when there is nothing to be done?

Additionally, protein is more difficult for the body to process. Significantly so. Fats and carbohydrates are easier, with fats being super easy and carbs being easy. Protein is difficult. So, you burn more calories from processing protein than you do from fat or carbs. This is the thermogenesis effect of food.

So, you've got a double wammy of reduce caloric expenditures. Sure, your calorie intake is down, but your caloric expenditure is way down too.

TL;DR = Eat protein.

*To clarify. I have been anemic for over 10 years, it did not simply happen because i cut back on red meat for 3 weeks. I do appreciate the concern. I am back to eating meat.
  • AnitaS71
    AnitaS71 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you. I think the scale is finally starting to move again, thankfully, but I sat parked for so long even while eating under my calories and exercising hard. I was getting so discouraged, but I just had to keep reminding myself that even if I never lose another pound (which I don't really think will happen...I'll lose it eventually), I am so much healthier than I was 46 pounds ago. If I stop eating carefully and exercising, I will just balloon right back up there (and then some, most likely), and I really don't want THAT to happen. I am not "on a diet". I have changed my eating/lifestyle for good, so it's not like I was going to go right back to old tricks as soon as I got to goal anyway. Therefore, I just need to press on through. I need to keep eating right and exercising to maintain the loss I've seen and to continue toward my ultimate goal: 46 down...44 to go!
  • GettingFitToLIVE
    Options
    Eating enough food with balanced macros and lots of protein. (Like maybe some meat and fish.)

^^^ This
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Iron from most animal sources (heme iron) usually is more readily absorbed than iron from plant sources of food (non-heme iron). Include a source of vitamin C or heme iron to improve the absorption of non-heme iron.

Sources of Predominantly Heme Iron FOOD IRON (MILLIGRAMS)
    Beef liver, braised (3 oz) 5.8
    Lean sirloin, broiled (3 oz) 2.9
    Lean ground beef, broiled (3 oz) 1.8
    Skinless chicken breast, roasted dark meat (3 oz) 1.1
    Skinless chicken breast, roasted white meat (3 oz) 0.9
    Pork, lean, roasted (3 oz) 0.9
    Salmon, canned with bone (3 oz) 0.7

Sources of Non-Heme Iron FOOD IRON (MILLIGRAMS)
    Fortified breakfast cereal (1 cup)* 4.5 – 18
    Pumpkin seeds (1 oz) 4.2
    Blackstrap molasses (1 Tablespoon) 3.5
    Soybean nuts (1/2 cup) 3.5
    Bran (1/2 cup) 3.0
    Spinach, boiled (1/2 cup) 3.2
    Red kidney beans, cooked (1/2 cup) 2.6
    Prune juice (3/4 cup) 2.3
    Lima beans, cooked (1/2 cup) 2.2
    Tofu, firm (1/2 cup) 2.0
    Enriched rice, cooked (1/2 cup) 1.4
    Pretzels (1 oz) 1.2
    Whole-wheat bread (1 slice) 0.9
    Green beans, cooked (1/2 cup) 0.8
    White bread, made with enriched flour (1 slice) 0.8
    Egg yolk, large (1) 0.6
    Peanut butter, chunky (2 tablespoons) 0.6
    Apricots, dried (3) 0.6

Just so you can choose for yourself. Yes, animal iron is more easily assimilated but it is possible to eat just veggies and be just fine. Your choice.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    i meant all meat, except fish. I am A blood type, and that type is discouaged from eating red meat and poultry. I am only trying it out for one month, it will be over at Christmas. i have been eating a lot of beans.
    I am also anemic, i have been for about 10 years. I take iron daily, but sometimes i am just too tired to go to the gym, i could sleep all day.
    Actually if your anemic you need more red meat. I've never ever heard of blood type A being discouraged from eating red meat and poultry. Thats nuts. You need the red meat and poultry for iron. When my husband was told he was anemic and yes he is type A blood and so am I, he was told to eat more red meat. If a doctor told you that then fire him and get a new doctor. Switch up your diet plan and change your exercise routine and you should start to see results. When I hit a stand still with my weight loss thats what I do and it works for me.
  • Aleph13
    Aleph13 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hey... weight loss is fast and furious at first but then evens out and slows down altogether sometimes. Keep up your cardio, maybe increase it a little? But cutting out your protein in the form of meat and fish in my opnion is not a good idea. Fish in particular is high in protein and essential fats that your body needs. I don't agree with diets that cut out whole food groups at all. I think they deprive your body of nutrients and in the long run ruin your weight loss and health goals. Eat a varied balanced diet and keep on with the exercise. Your weight will come down, maybe not as fast as you want but the slower it comes off now, the more likely it is to stay off long term :-)
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I may be reaching here but it doesn't sounds like you need to change the fundamentals of what you WERE doing so stop playing with that. You lost quite a bit of weight and quite a few inches. Stand back for minute, look in the mirror and say - d*mn good job me! I'm serious - go do that NOW! Motivation is internal and you gotta be proud when you do the right things. Make sure that your internal conversation is positive. STOP beating yourself up and stop running after alternatives out of frustration.

Now, look back at what you've changed, you're not eating the way you were when the weight was coming off, right? Okay that's normal. I went through "plateaus" also - most everyone does. You get to a certain point and think you've done enough. But you haven't hit your goal yet, right? Right? So, change what you do TODAY. Focus on the here and now and make that change. Now, come back tomorrow and do the same thing. YOU have done this before. YOU lost the weight. Just keep that up.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    "eating for your bloodtype" is complete rubbish...Let me guess? Dr. Oz?
  • boozysmurf
    Options
    Hey there!

Fellow anemiac here (B12 for me, rather than iron), and the whole not wanting to do anything/want to sleep all the time, that says something is deficient.

I'd say drop the blood type diet and even out with a more conventional diet. That will hopefully get your iron, B12, and folic acid back in line (if that's the issue: get a yearly blood test specifically for the anemia. I've had to do that. For me, if I stop with sublingual B12 supplements, my B12 crashes, takes the folic acid with it, and my iron goes through the roof. Also, you may be getting too much iron (if you have aching joints along with the general lethargy, this may be something to consider). Basically, if you think the issue MIGHT be anemia related, get a blood test, and repeat it at least semi-regularly, and basically monitor your blood make up.

Beyond that, my gut reaction is "dump the Blood Type diet". I know a few other people have echoed the same sentiment.

The "Blood type diet" is a thing put together by a guy who has a] no apparent published science on the matter (ie. no clinical research) b] no background in blood work (he's a neuro guy, not a hematologist) c] makes the talkshow circuit and sells books based on his "research" but (again) doesn't do clinical studies and/or actual research. If you read a couple of the websites that propose this diet format, they all say "Doctor believes that.." "implying that their research supports", "According to the doctor, " etc. the phrasing is very specific to give the impression that this is legitimate science, where it's really just conjecture and, honestly, another fad diet.

Seriously, if you're noticing that you're still having issues, a few people are right. Again, protien/proper diet. And, a proper diet is a balanced diet, not an exclusionary one.

It sounds like you've got the determination for the weight loss, but, the blood-type diet is probably not it. Good folks here have suggested a change in exercise regime, and a balanced diet. I'll give that an additional thumbs-up. You've been doing all the right things, keep doing them. The weight loss DOES slow down over time. Pretty much has to, there's less of you to lose!

But, from experience, get your blood checked. That's first thing, in my (extremely) humble opinion.
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the journey to getting fit is like walking a roller coaster. You go, go go go and whooosh -- off comes the weight. Other times it feels like you are struggling to get up a hill and you begin to wonder why you try, not realizing that you are coming up on a drop off point -- just be patient!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!