What is considered tall?

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9" and I consider myself tall for a woman. I'm taller than most of my friends anyway. Does help with looking thinner than I really am though! :)

So true. Everyone is shocked when I tell them my weight...it's just because I'm so tall, if I was 5'5 they wouldn't be shocked, haha

It's how you carry it, regardless of height. I'm 5'3" and people are always wrong about my weight.
  • LadyBeryl
    LadyBeryl Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I'd say anything over 5'8 is tall for a woman, but there is no "defined" height. It also depends on where you live - 5'8 would be short for a woman in Denmark, but Amazon for a woman in China.
    So true.

I'm 5'10" and several Swedes came to the USA for a work project with me. The women, who were taller than I, expressed happiness to see a tall woman here. One guy said he was glad I drove a Volvo. LOL!

OTOH when I vacationed in Hong Kong and Beijing, the Chinese took pictures of me and made comments about me being "so tall" (among other things) LOL!
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    My daughter just turned twelve and she is right at 5'6- I thought she was fairly tall but last night we went to a dance/chorus performance at her school and I have to say there were a lot of 6th grade girls her height and many were taller.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I am a normal good height. Everyone taller than me is "Tall".

I am a 5'3.75" male. But if the government is willing to round me to 5'4", then good enough for me!
  • Yaya1976
    Yaya1976 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I looked it up and the "average woman" is about 5 '3 anything about that is considered above average. Anything above 5'6 is considered tall. I'm 5 '4 so I'm technically considered above average height. Not sure how accurate the website I found is?

23087067.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    In Canada, in 2007-2009, the average height for men was 5' 9". I'm 6', so I'd consider myself "tall."

For women, it was 5'4".

I found this info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_height#Average_height_around_the_world
  • Yaya1976
    Yaya1976 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10 and have always considered myself tall for a woman. Although it would probably be average for a man

Actually the average man is about 5 '6 to 5 '7 anything above that is considered above average and tall.
    Again not sure how accurate the website is, but it seems right to me :)
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    5'7" for a female IMO is average

I am 5'9" and I feel I border tall. Anything above 5'9" is tall.

5'4" under - short/petite
    5'4" - 5'8" - average
    5'9"+ - tall

Men under 6' seems to be average

5'9" under - short
    5'10 - 6'3" - average
    6'4"+ - tall
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I have to round up slightly just to get to 5'2". I would consider 5'7" on the high end of average. My step mom is only 4'6". I think, technically, she's supposed to be in a booster seat in the car.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 11" (well technically 5' 10.75"). I think that's tall.
    I'm not a fan >_<
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11'' on the nose. Definitely tall.

My boyfriend is lucky to consider himself 5'4''. Definitely short. Depends on region/race/etc.
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9 and I dont care what you say , I am tall.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I'm only 5'0" so for me, almost EVERYONE is tall.
  • azzkikin
    azzkikin Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    69" here and I know I am not tall. So I will stand next to the ladies.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and don't think I'm tall, especially now that my 16 year old son towers over me and tells me how short I am constantly.
  • iSurvive
    Options
    I have to round up slightly just to get to 5'2". I would consider 5'7" on the high end of average. My step mom is only 4'6". I think, technically, she's supposed to be in a booster seat in the car.

This made me giggle and yes I do think current requirements suggest kids stay in a booster till they are 4' 9' or something like that!

For the area that I live 6' 0 for a male would be tall, not short by any means. 5' 7' is towards the tall side but by no means TALL... kind of average. I can see how it would depend on where you live.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I looked it up and the "average woman" is about 5 '3 anything about that is considered above average. Anything above 5'6 is considered tall. I'm 5 '4 so I'm technically considered above average height. Not sure how accurate the website I found is?

Not very. 5'3" is petite.
  • CharliesInCharge
    CharliesInCharge Posts: 278 Member
    Options

5'4" - 5'8" - average
    5'9"+ - tall

5'9" under - short
    5'10 - 6'3" - average
    6'4"+ - tall

this seems about right.. the supposed ideal seems to be the man about 3-6 inches taller than the woman and that seems to be the difference in the "averages"\

just depressing that i am short :)
    i am 5 ft 9
  • FightingforFit82
    Options
    This!!!!

5'4" - 5'8" - average
    5'9"+ - tall

5'9" under - short
    5'10 - 6'3" - average
    6'4"+ - tall
  • Beckyloo80
    Beckyloo80 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    taller then me! lol. I am 5'4, if you are more then that, I consider you tall =)