suggest a good protein bar for me

Options
I'd like to have some protein bars around for when I need that extra boost. I don't generally like protein powder shakes, and even though I have some I never use it because I'm too lazy to bust out my blender.

I want suggestions for protein bars that don't have a ton of sugar, not too many calories(under/around 250-300), and taste decent.

Tell me which bar will have a great bang for my buck! (as far as protein, monetary cost isn't a huge issue).

Thanks!

Replies

• n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Clif Builders. Chocolate Mint or Peanut Butter.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    If you're watching carbs, Pure Protein is pretty reasonable.

IMO, better just just grill up some chicken breasts and stick them in the fridge instead though.
  • skypie02
    Options
    The Cliff Builders peanut butter are one of my fave as well!! Have you heard of Luna Bars? They are specifically designed for women the blueberry bars are my favorite and the lemon are sooo good too, but they do also have some chocolatey flavors if that is your thing :) They average around 180 calories per bar and I keep them in my backpack while I am at school and are a great snack to keep handy! I think the cliff bars are maybe almost 300 in calories? Cant remember but both are good and I dont like protein shakes and stuff either!
  • dunadan
    dunadan Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Nature Valley Peanut Butter Dark Chocolate Protein Chewy Bar (10g protein, 190cal).

KIND bars: the Nut Delight is 7g of protein and about 200 calories. SUPER yummy, only "real" ingredients, gluten-free. They also make some bars with added protein as well. Anything KIND makes is awesome.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Check out Quest bars; 160-210 calories depending on flavor, and they average about 20g protein, 5g carbs, 17g fiber...
    They're also natural and have very few ingredients. They travel well, in that they don't melt or have some sort of waxy coating like a lot of bars. They taste great too!

My favorite flavors are the Apple Pie, Cinnamon Roll, Chocolate Peanut Butter. They also have Strawberry Cheesecake, Lemon pie, chocolate brownie, peanut butter supreme, peanut butter and jelly, vanilla almond, cashew coconut... probably some others I'm forgetting.

As a second choice, I like the Supreme Protein bars (in the smaller sizes). The macros are decent; 15g protein, 180-220 calories, only a few grams of carbs, etc. They do have more of a candy bar taste and are delicious and low in sugar, but they can melt pretty easily. Rocky Road Brownie and Cookies and Cream are my favorites, but again, they're all yummy. The only flavor I didn't care for too much was the peanut butter and jelly -- it was WAAAAY too sweet... cloyingly so.

They sell both at GNC, bodybuilding.com, Amazon.com, etc.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Nature Valley Peanut Butter Dark Chocolate Protein Chewy Bar (10g protein, 190cal).

KIND bars: the Nut Delight is 7g of protein and about 200 calories. SUPER yummy, only "real" ingredients, gluten-free. They also make some bars with added protein as well. Anything KIND makes is awesome.

I like the Kind bars too (almond coconut FTW), but they stink for protein...(the clif bars do too, but they're good).
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    The best one is the one you make yourself.
  • jamiem1102
    jamiem1102 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I like Luna Bars... yummmm...
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    Seconded on Quest bars. My favorite for protein and fiber - very filling and the Chocolate Peanut Butter is yummy!

I get mine at www.netrition.com.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    484307_491520664221313_732314514_n.jpg
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Balance Bar's Lemon Meringue Crunch is close your eyes and wiggle your toes delicious.
  • melmckay99
    Options
    In the pharmacy section at wal-mart (or some grocery stores) look for the section with the sugarless candies and stuff for diabetics. There you will find a protein bar called "Extend Bar". It has 12 g of protein (10 g are from soy protein and only 2 g are from whey protein), it has 0 or 1 g of sugar, about 20 carbs and only 150 cals! The berry delight and the chocolat peanut butter ones taste great, there is a chocolate flavour too but i'm not as fond of that one. I don't think you will find anything with lower cals and sugar than this!
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

Are these paleo friendly?
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options

I've never seen Banana Nut Muffin Quest Bars!

BRB... in search of new deliciousness...
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Are these paleo friendly?

They are made by cavemen in a remote cave in france i think
  • medennison123
    medennison123 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    i would make your own. Many recipes on youtube.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Well... I don't know about sugar because I don't watch it myself... but I will always recommend Zone Perfect!

Best tasting bars on the market. Most are around 200 calories and 14 or 15 g of protein. Again... I don't look at the sugar content. Sugar is NOT what makes the body store fat.

Edited to add... I eat two a day!

Also edited to add... I just checked and my next snack for the day 13 g of sugar... no idea how conducive that is to your sugar goal.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Agree with Quest bars.

Also, get a shaker cup with a blender ball, or several. You don't need to get the blender out every time you want a protein shake. I would avoid them if that was the case, too!

eta: In before all the people come in here offering things like clif bars as protein bars, hahaha.
  • fitfunk
    fitfunk Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I've loved every flavor tried of Power Crunch bars. They have wafers in them and taste like a fancy candy bar, so delicious (for real, versus "it's good - for a protein bar"). They have 13g-14g protein per bar and are generally 200 cals. Very satisfying.

http://www.powercrunch.com/original/
  • kiykiy79
    kiykiy79 Posts: 177
    Options

Cosign! And would add Lara Bars - the Lemon Zest is to die for!!