Why do people lose weight for the wrong reasons?

Options

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    this has backfired in OP's face.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Meg's actually a damned non-judgmental person. She's a fantastic to support those on her friend's list, regardless of the reasons they post for their weight loss. I think she was frustrated with the folks who aren't wanting to use this opportunity to learn life-long healthy habits, i.e - those who merely want a quick fix. I get frustrated with that, too.
  • cnelson1974
    cnelson1974 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I understand what you where trying to relay with your initial post. I'm just glad that everyone has a reason and is making a change in the right direction. :D
  • fit_to_be
    Options
    There's a wrong reason? Every person is different. What seems shallow to you may mean the world to someone else.

Don't judge.

with this!
  • ettennette
    Options
    it's not a big deal as long as you're giving your body the fight nutrition Source: http://www.top-5-diets.info/
  • lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    The only reason you would gain the weight back is if you
    dont maintain.............. so who cares why they lose? Its gone.............RIGHT???
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I think I understand where the OP was coming from. I wasn't offended by what she said like many on here were. Everyone has their own reasons for weight loss, and they're not inherently right or wrong. But it is irritating when you see people losing weight JUST to be "skinny" or JUST for a specific occasion. So many of us on here are trying to make a lifetime commitment, so the flightier people among us can rub you the wrong way every once in awhile.
  • Juliechilli
    Juliechilli Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you gain weight and technically you become overweight via your BMI. Let's say you've been on a kick and losing slowly and incorporating a more healthy lifestyle with exercise and clean eating, Let's say your 13 year younger sister gets engaged and asks you to be in her wedding with all of the other size 4 bridesmaids.. You order a 12 (for your large chest) and you try it on and it fits but you can't breathe. YEAH, those last 10 pounds WILL come off. This is push I needed. Ya, I do it for me and to live long for my kids but sometimes I can get complacent without that incentive of 150 people looking at me at a wedding.. Just sayin'

You shouldn't be concerned with other peoples' reasoning for wanting to get healthy. We all have our out motives...
  • LMick1986
    Options
    If appearance is your only concern in losing weight, you'll most likely end up a statistic who regains the weight in a year (or 5) and then some.

Not if you want it bad enough. When someone wants something bad enough (whether YOU think it's the wrong reasons or not), they will make it happen. You can want weight loss for all the "right" reasons and still be statistic. It's in your willpower, not your reasons.
  • currierand
    currierand Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong, I want to look good naked and have hot crazy monkey sex, too. BUT it's not my primary motivation to lose weight. The main goal is to be healthier and commit to a lifestyle change. I couldn't give a #$)# about anything else.

Your primary goal is a healthy lifestyle change.. Mine might be to lose weight. One does not negate the other. Yours is not GOOD and mine is not BAD...get it?

Now, let's all get out there and have upside down hot monkey sex!!!!!!
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    There is no wrong reason to lose weight IMO! :drinker:
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I think I understand where the OP was coming from. I wasn't offended by what she said like many on here were. Everyone has their own reasons for weight loss, and they're not inherently right or wrong. But it is irritating when you see people losing weight JUST to be "skinny" or JUST for a specific occasion. So many of us on here are trying to make a lifetime commitment, so the flightier people among us can rub you the wrong way every once in awhile.

I agree
  • lotusspark
    Options
    I agree,whether it's vanity or health it should be personal. not to keep someone else happy or to compete in some way unless the goal becomes personal + to keep it off for ones own self.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    90% of my reasons for loosing weight are completely shallow, vain and superficial.

The other 10% includes all of the fun stuff like the rampant obesity, diabetes, etc etc that run in my family.

But as a healthy 27 year old, "look hot" is more of the goal than "avoid diabetes"......and that's okay. That's why it's my goal, my body, my life.

Also.....upside down sex??? Yes.
  • Subowski
    Options
    What if someone wants to lose weight to be the slut at the bar?
  • UsernameStillLoading
    Options
    They do that to have a goal...or for motivation.
    A lot of people don't care enough about themselves or about their health to do it for them.
    Its not wrong...its just not as effective in the long run.
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    If one really needs to lose weight, I do not believe there *is* a "wrong reason" for losing.

I stopped smoking in 2007 'for someone;' 3 months later we broke up. I don't regret it and I've not picked them back up. I was told I was quitting "for the wrong reason." (except by my doc, she didn't care about the *why*)
  • ettennette
    Options
    yes right of course
  • Rogue_Minx
    Rogue_Minx Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is a personal trainer; that was reason enough for me. Being nearly 200 pounds next to his abs made me feel terrible. Maybe he won't always be my boyfriend (maybe he'll be something more :smile: ) but being in-shape and fitness oriented has become a way of life. And that won't change, regardless of who comes into my life or leaves.
  • SkinnyMusic
    Options
    It's whatever makes the person feel happy. I'm losing weight for myself, to say I fit in a lower size, for when I'm in my uniform for volleyball, for my boyfriend, and to look hella good. So, I'm suppose to not want to lose weight just because I want to look good? Since it's the wrong reason, I shouldn't lose weight to make myself better?

Yeah. Totaaally makes sense.
    Simmer down now, sweetheart.