Why do people lose weight for the wrong reasons?

Options

Replies

• Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about those people who think they need to drop pounds just to fit in a smaller sized wedding dress or they do it for anybody other than themselves. Seems stupid and self-defeating, you should lose weight just for yourself and to make a lifestyle change. Thoughts?

Wjy be so judgemental about other people's reasons? I mean what's to say that yours aren't wrong in someone else's eyes? Just be happy and focus on your motives.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    19088677.jpg

20 minutes of nonstop entertainment is not pointless
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options

3.gif

aww..poor turtle :frown:
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

20 minutes of nonstop entertainment is not pointless

Hah!! OK, I have to give you that one.

105463659_Funny_GIF_collection-s320x240-142914-580.gif
  • moniquedeanne
    moniquedeanne Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    To OP I think we all whether we admit to ourselves or not want to up our self-esteem by losing weight (hopefully in a healthy way). That's not to say that some of us don't also consider other factors like health, pregnancy, longevity, physical ability, etc. I know for myself personally that when I take better care of myself I feel better about myself. For me eating right and exercising makes me happier I just wish I could remember that all the time. Plus I want to be pretty, lol.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about those people who think they need to drop pounds just to fit in a smaller sized wedding dress or they do it for anybody other than themselves. Seems stupid and self-defeating, you should lose weight just for yourself and to make a lifestyle change. Thoughts?

Some people aren't comfortable in their own skin and being paraded in front of their family on their wedding day only heightens those anxieties. On one of the of the most momentous occasions in someone's young life, that individual feels that they want to look their best. For some people, their best will never be good enough (no matter how gorgeous they are).

You don't sound like a bad person but there's a lot of MyFitnessPal's here that are working on fitting into a smaller size in a healthy way. Your original statement criticized their goal as if it were something vain and superficial and assumes that they would do something harmful to reach their goal. Long term goals are achieved by accomplishing many, many short term goals.
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong, I want to look good naked and have hot crazy monkey sex, too. BUT it's not my primary motivation to lose weight. The main goal is to be healthier and commit to a lifestyle change. I couldn't give a #$)# about anything else.

I think losing weight to have sex with a monkey is the WRONG REASON.

hahah YES!!!
  • imstrong4me
    Options
    ppls lose weight for so many reasons my highest weight I have been was 235 that was four months ago, it scared me to death and I have a 19 month old baby also there is medical reason as well diabeties run in my family, now is the time for me to lose weight and be healthy I have been struggling with my weight all my life, and this time im actually sticking to my weight loss journey, so far iv lost 16 lbs im really proud of my self I never thought I could do it, over the yrs that I tried I failed and gave up but not this time, im doing it for me and no one else
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I dont think its a good idea if I answer here because all my reasons are the wrong ones, babe, Im sorry :-/
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Some people aren't comfortable in their own skin and being paraded in front of their family on their wedding day only heightens those anxieties. On one of the of the most momentous occasions in someone's young life, that individual feels that they want to look their best. For some people, their best will never be good enough (no matter how gorgeous they are).

You don't sound like a bad person but there's a lot of MyFitnessPal's here that are working on fitting into a smaller size in a healthy way. Your original statement criticized their goal as if it were something vain and superficial and assumes that they would do something harmful to reach their goal. Long term goals are achieved by accomplishing many, many short term goals.

True! I have my min-goals set what size pants I will wear, going down a size every 6 weeks or so.
  • LadyQueefsalot
    LadyQueefsalot Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm losing weight so all the people who made fun of me in HS can suck it. I'm also losing weight so my husband will love me more, and so that women will hate me more.

:drinker:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Who cares what other people's reasons are to find motivation for themselves?
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    There is no "wrong" reason to lose weight.

There are healthy ways and non-healthy ways to lose weight.

But I don't think there is a "wrong" reason to lose weight.
  • xSakura
    xSakura Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I'm losing weight for me and only me, and I'm doing it to feel comfortable within myself. Forget what anyone else thinks! :drinker:
  • BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    I'm losing weight so all the people who made fun of me in HS can suck it. I'm also losing weight so my husband will love me more, and so that women will hate me more.

^^^ 100% THIS ^^^

I lost weight and post my pictures on FB so I can tell all of those from HS to go suck it! I want to be the slut in the bar that everyone hates on. If these reason are wrong then the OP can go and suck it too. :bigsmile:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I'm losing weight for me and only me, and I'm doing it to feel comfortable within myself. Forget what anyone else thinks! :drinker:

The OP can call it "vanity" all she wants, but I think that losing weight *for yourself* is the best reason of all! :flowerforyou:
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    How is losing weight because you want to look good in a wedding dress (or any other dress) not doing it for yourself?

Boom!
  • amydee714
    amydee714 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    The only wrong reason I see is to try to "win" a guy/girl.

"If you lose weight I might get with you..."

If that was the case I would lose the weight, hit it, quit it and move on to something better. So I guess it would still be for me. :laugh: :laugh:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    i have nightmares about being vain or thought of as vain so often that I purposefully knock off positive self talk after a certain point or I purposefully ignore positive feedback to keep my Id in check.
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Ok OP, I'll throw you a bone.

When I first started posting on here, I got into a conversation with a male user saying he was eating 800-1000 calories per day, so that he could lose 10-15lbs. for 'fashion week' or something, which was a few months away. He was very upfront about not caring that he was under-eating, and not caring about what happened to his body or weight after he reached his goal for that event. He obviously did not care about his health, or improving it at all.

That is a case in which I would state someone had the WRONG reasons.

Again..... people are confusing wrong reason with improper execution. Why he wanted to do it is NOT WRONG!!! How he went about it, was not the best method, but achieved the results he wanted (maybe/ maybe not)

WHY someone loses weight is valid regardless of the reason.
    HOW they do it may lack proper judgement.

:grumble:

Ok fine, the reason in itself of wanting to be a smaller size is not inherently wrong. You got me, you win, all the cookies for you.

But I think that someone who intends from the get-go for their weight loss to be short-term, and to potentially damage their health in the process, is in the wrong. I don't understand why someone would want to yo-yo diet on purpose (outside of bulking/cutting).

YAY....I get cookies!!