What would you make with white flour?

Options
2»

Replies

• gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I have had a bag for a while now and I usually use it to thicken my sauce for gravy. I can't seem to find another way that may be healthy and won' t take too much time to make. Looking for any good suggestions...:smile:
    Oh, OP, are you asking about ways to make gravy without white flour? Use Arrowroot powder. Works the same, tastes the same, no gluten and better for you than white flour.

Kinda shocked about the person saying white flour is not bad for you. I've never met anyone that would say that, EVERYONE I know thinks it ranges from at least "not very good for you" to "avoid like poison." Didn't know anyone actually thinks it's just fine and dandy. I've been all over on that scale but never legitimately thought it was "healthy." Interesting.
  • pumalama
    pumalama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    you can coat meat and fish in white flour with some spices before cooking them in the pan.
  • Absonthebrain
    Absonthebrain Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I use it to make Santa / reindeer/ sleigh prints in the yard for the kiddos for Christmas :-)

How did you do that? I may try to do that with it instead. Sounds fun!!!

There's a reason I haven't used it for so long cause I know it's not that great for us, lol.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Google toad in the hole. It's fantastic.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Nothing. That stuff is poison, in so many ways. (Sorry to be a downer)

No it is not.

Be factual, please. Fearmongering isn't welcome.

Ok here are some facts about white flour (WF):

1. WF is stripped of the most nutrient-rich parts of the grain.
    2. It is processed in a way which makes it instantly absorbed when it reaches the intestine. Unlike whole grains-which take a much longer time to be digested, absorbed, and broken down into energy, WF immediately raises your blood sugar levels, much in the same way sugar does.
    3. After you eat WF, your body has two choices: either burn it off immediately, or store it as fat. Usually, unless you are working out while eating your flour tortilla, it is stored as fat.
    4. Due to the instant elevation of your blood sugar level (which is also shown to be unhealthy), the later instant drop of your blood sugar will likely leave you hungry.
    5. WF and sugar are very similar in the ways they effect our energy, bodies and health. Both can be major contributors to weight gain.

I eat it in very small doses as I notice it greatly affects the way my body processes food and the resulting cravings.

As with all things, use it in moderation and you will be fine. But do not eat it at night--instant saddlebags.

cool story, bro.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    gravy.

water+stock+mustard+flour = gravy

just pour it on everything darling.

That's what I been doing but I wanted it more like a meal, lol ...I guess

Make the gravy, pour it on french fries and add cheese. Poutine.
  • Absonthebrain
    Options
    Google toad in the hole. It's fantastic.

Cool! I have never seen one of those before, it looks hearty but tasty!
  • Absonthebrain
    Options
    Nothing. That stuff is poison, in so many ways. (Sorry to be a downer)

No it is not.

Be factual, please. Fearmongering isn't welcome.

Ok here are some facts about white flour (WF):

1. WF is stripped of the most nutrient-rich parts of the grain.
    2. It is processed in a way which makes it instantly absorbed when it reaches the intestine. Unlike whole grains-which take a much longer time to be digested, absorbed, and broken down into energy, WF immediately raises your blood sugar levels, much in the same way sugar does.
    3. After you eat WF, your body has two choices: either burn it off immediately, or store it as fat. Usually, unless you are working out while eating your flour tortilla, it is stored as fat.
    4. Due to the instant elevation of your blood sugar level (which is also shown to be unhealthy), the later instant drop of your blood sugar will likely leave you hungry.
    5. WF and sugar are very similar in the ways they effect our energy, bodies and health. Both can be major contributors to weight gain.

I eat it in very small doses as I notice it greatly affects the way my body processes food and the resulting cravings.

As with all things, use it in moderation and you will be fine. But do not eat it at night--instant saddlebags.

cool story, bro.

Definitely interesting facts!
  • reallifealien
    reallifealien Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    fake snow
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    One of the ultimate comfort foods - chicken and dumplings!