Whey protein?

Options
Anyone have any advice on Whey that I can get from Wal-Mart? I went shopping tonight and almost bought some of the Body Fortress Whey powder but wasn't quite sure what to get. I'm currently doing Insanity training (almost to halfway point) and was looking for some "recovery fuel" without paying the price of the Insanity brand.

If I can get it from Wal Mart would be great since I shop there on a regular basis. The prices seemed to be decent there also.

Replies

• jwiley78
    jwiley78 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've read a lot about people not liking the drinks. Are the protein bars any good? Do they do the same thing?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any advice on Whey that I can get from Wal-Mart? I went shopping tonight and almost bought some of the Body Fortress Whey powder but wasn't quite sure what to get. I'm currently doing Insanity training (almost to halfway point) and was looking for some "recovery fuel" without paying the price of the Insanity brand.

If I can get it from Wal Mart would be great since I shop there on a regular basis. The prices seemed to be decent there also.

Food is a wonderful recovery fuel
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I have the body fortress cuz i was a broke foo at the time. I normally do Optimun Nutrition, and that stuffs great.

Body fortress tastes kind of chalky, and doesnt seem to mix as well if I dont use a blender

I drink it blended with a banana and milk, still tastes a bit chalky but it goes down fine! And protien bars are really just candy bars with protien and other additives so I wouldnt bother, if you want a quick "recovery" go with Acg67 and eat a chicken leg haha
  • rhall9058
    rhall9058 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I've read a lot about people not liking the drinks. Are the protein bars any good? Do they do the same thing?

What you have to watch out for in the bars and not always in the drinks is the amount of fat. Don't eat one of the bars and then go sit or go to bed, cause the extra fat in the bar isn't getting burned off. It's a myth that the bars perform the same as the drinks. The drinks have a very specific purpose as do the bars.
  • kmburns3
    kmburns3 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't like the body fortress and all protein bars I've tried taste like cardboard. My personal favorite is Syntrax Nectars. They have a ton of different flavors, such as caribbean cooler, ice tea, lemonade. They're not your typical chocolate, vanilla, strawberry (they have those too tho). I think the best flavor is fuzzy naval. vitacost.com usually has the best prices and free shipping!
  • playitagainsam
    playitagainsam Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Personally, I buy Six Star Whey Protein powder Elite Series from Wal-Mart and love it. I buy it in the triple chocolate flavor. It is very tasty and the calories aren't out of control. I believe that one scoop is 170 calories and 30g or protein.

As for protein bars, I like to stick with things that are a little lower in calories while I'm still in weight loss mode, so I eat either Kellog's Protein Meal Bars or Pure Protein Bars. Both can be purchased at Wal-Mart and I find them tasty as well and again, not to crazy in calories.
  • kchang77
    kchang77 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    If you really want to get it from Wal Mart, then Muscle Milk would probably be your best choice.

You should check out Vitamin Shoppe on line or even Bodybuilding.com

As Acg67 said, food is preferable recovery fuel, but I use Whey in the morning after workouts on the way to work. On just cardio days I tend to just have a glass of Tuscan Over the Moon Fat Free chocolate milk (also purchased at Walmart) to replace some of the carbs and it also has 11g of protein.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

What you have to watch out for in the bars and not always in the drinks is the amount of fat. Don't eat one of the bars and then go sit or go to bed, cause the extra fat in the bar isn't getting burned off. It's a myth that the bars perform the same as the drinks. The drinks have a very specific purpose as do the bars.

WHAT? If you sit or go to bed the "extra fat" you've eaten doesn't get burned off?

Ironic that your next sentence starts with "It's a myth...."
  • mirthfuldragon
    mirthfuldragon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I just finished my post-workout shake - a cup of almond milk, a scoop of Body Fortress chocolate, and top it off with a cup of water. Is it as tasty as the myriad flavors from Optimum Nutrition - no. Does it taste okay - yes. At ~$7/pound, it is acceptable to me. ON Whey runs around $13/pound at Bodybuilding.com. (I did drop about $150 at bodybuilding.com when they had a 20% off deal on Cyber Monday though).

As far as BodyFortress, it is okay. I've seen many people post that they hate the strawberry, but to me it isn't bad or unpaltable. The vanilla is fine, and is easy to add other things to - like canned pumpkin! The chocolate is fine, and the cookies and cream is really good. The chocolate-peanut butter tastes just a bit like one or the other, but loses flavor quickly in milk.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    read the ingredients list

avoid soy

protein is 4 calories a gram

so if your choice has 170 calories a scoop with 30 grams of protein, that means it has 50 calories of non protein fillers, usually some form of sugar
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I get the triple chocolate jillian michaels from walmart. it's worked great for me so far. I only use it to sweeten up my oatmeal though. Haven't tried it as a drink. I want FOOD when I have a meal not a drink
  • jwiley78
    jwiley78 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses so far. It has been a great help. I think I'm going to try the Body Fortress. Not sure of the flavor yet. That may depend on what is available when I go to the store next time.

I also liked the comment on the chicken leg. The way my schedule works is that I have been doing Insanity videos as soon as I get home from work. After that I normally have to deal with getting my kids under control and helping them with homework or whatever else is needed. Sometimes it may be a few hours before I eat dinner so I was just looking for something I could drink afterwards to help my recovery.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I like the body fortress chocolate/peanut butter. I like to put it in coffee with a little dash of salt. It's delicious. I also like to blend it up with a banana and some milk (and occasionally a little splash of bourbon).
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I did not like the Body Fortress brand.. I thought it was gritty. If you're getting from Wal Mart, I would suggest the Six Star.... it's not too bad.
  • bbgughj
    bbgughj Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    If you have a Costco around try Cytosport - 100% Whey Protein It about $48 for a 7lb bag , Not bad at all
  • WaxMama
    WaxMama Posts: 369 Member
    Options

:huh:
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    ^ I like the chocolate peanut butter also. I buy it cause its cheap. There are better tasting powders out there for sure. The Body Fortress also adds creatine which gives it a gritty texture. Not really an effective dose of creatine for the one scoop I might have but like I said its cheap. : )

None of them are necessary as long as you are getting enough protein from your regular diet. Just an FYI
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I don't think Walmart competes on price with some of the online shops. Try bodybuilding.com.
  • phildawson75
    phildawson75 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    All I can say is you get what you pay for. Body Fortress is one of the worst powders you can buy. It's cheap for a reason.

I can recommend Optimum nutrition - 100% whey gold standard. Double choc or vanilla are the tastiest imo, even good mixed with water.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    All I can say is you get what you pay for. Body Fortress is one of the worst powders you can buy. It's cheap for a reason.

I can recommend Optimum nutrition - 100% whey gold standard. Double choc or vanilla are the tastiest imo, even good mixed with water.

I am not saying this isn't true, but I would love to see a study that would actually buy this statement.

I generally do EAS as it's a combination of whey and casein. From the NIH studies I have seen, it's ideal for recovery purpose to have a protein to use both.