OT: Having a hard time getting a job.

Options

Replies

• aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I'm an English/writing/advertising/creative girl but have the chops for some finance positions, so I've applied to those as well
    I actually got in to the company where I was by taking an entry-level customer service job. Then I grabbed an opening as Executive Assistant to the company owner. Then, when someone in an entry-level Marketing position quit I was in with the owners already and had the education to do it. I got it handed to me at that point and worked up to Marketing Management from there. Great job...

Yes! There is a publishing company that I'm in LOVE with. Like, it's my dream job. And I recently sent out an application to be the receptionist (who has no creative input. Solely there to answer phones and plan schedules.)
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    YOU'RE NOT ALONE~

Cover Letters, Resume's, Applications, and Referrals. Yep, you're singing the song of many. Degree or no Degree, Certification, Experience whatever. Jobs are hard to come by right now. There are jobs out there to be earned, but its a fight to get even the cashier job at Taco Bell !
    Don't take it personal, and try not to let it interfere with your goal of weight loss.
    Be proud of your self for getting the Degree ! Its so important now, and YOU will be chosen over the one's that don't have a degree.
    You can't take Education away! Good for you for getting your B.A. that's awesome! YOU have a reason to be proud! it takes alot of time and dedication to earn that degree ! :)
    Something will come up Keep the faith

Thank you!!! Wow, that is one of the nicest and most encouraging things to hear. Bless you:flowerforyou:
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Apply at a temp agency. That is how I landed a career. Express your willingness to work hard and mention that overtime is something u are willing to do. End every interview with a big smile and a hand shake. Eye contact is extremely important so don't forget that and GOOD LUCK!!!!!
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Just be wary of the whole "further education" thing. I've got a job as a professor at a fairly big university, and I've seen students graduate with an MA or a PhD who have ended up stocking the shelves at Walmart. Seriously.

While I certainly don't discourage going to grad school to get a higher qualification, please think about it long and hard. And research the program really well. Because there is by no means any guarantee that it will get you where you want to be and you could just end up wasting another $100k.

I finished my PhD about 6 years ago and managed to get a job before everything went to hell. But I'm advising grad students, so I can see first hand the struggles they're facing on the job market. Admittedly I am in the sciences and not the humanities, and while the job market for science graduates isn't good, it's worse for the humanities.

... it's best if you can visit the campus and actually speak to a few of the current cohort of students. They will give you a better idea of the realities of the program than the university marketing department.

Listen to this poster.

(I have an idea of what students face, but am not sure whether some of the more vocational college-based programs still hold the value they did 10 years ago. I think what certain universities - & their marketing departments - do borders on fraud.)

edit: Not yours, I'm sure!
  • captainsuperpants
    captainsuperpants Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I didn't notice this on here (sorry if it'a repeat):

Volunteer work. If you've never volunteered before, you might be amazed at the incredible array of jobs available in the volunteer sector. It's an excellent way to network and get some out-of-the-box experience, and feel good about yourself when you're feeling down.

That's what i did when i finished uni (granted, i work in Welfare, but volunteers did so much other stuff- admin, accounting, library etc...) and i had paid work within a month.

Other than that, i'd say just wait! You sound grounded and well-qualified, something will come...

Meanwhile have some fun and gain life experience- it's not all about work. Travel, get out there and enjoy!!! You'll be tied down before you know it, life is about the living isn't it?

Good luck :)
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I am in my 40s and currently unemployed as well. I recently moved to a new city so I don't have any organic networking resources. I am hopeful - all you need is one, and it does tend to be a numbers game. Good luck!

p.s. - Being unemployed can be GREAT for fitness goals! A lot of time has to be spent on the job search, and I agree that volunteer opportunities can really open up "hidden" jobs - but all in all I find I have so much more time for exercising, and everything I do is free.

Being unemployed, I can't afford a gym, Zumba classes, etc., but walking, doing 30 Day Shred on YouTube, spending more time with the dogs, using the treadmill at my complex, etc. is all very accessible and I can do different workouts at different times of day, which I never could when I was working and had a long commute. Similarly, I have time to plan and prepare healthy, inexpensive meals. (No fast food since I left my job!) So - while I know you feel very anxious to find a job, take advantage of this opportunity and make it positive for your fitness. Exercise and healthy food help with feelings of depression, too. Take this time to get lean and mean and full of energy for when you do land a job!
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    :smile:
    though there are times that i'm un-employed but it doesn't take too long for me to find another job. Based from these experience, here are my advise:

* Keep upgrading your education,
    * Use network, talk to people
    * Don't limit your job search in a particular field or career, maybe that's how you will grow.

Thank you! My dad suggested that I get a little extra schooling, maybe a certificate in something I'm interested in. And I've been sending out resumes for jobs that I NEVER would've thought I'd be applying for! I'm an English/writing/advertising/creative girl but have the chops for some finance positions, so I've applied to those as well

This is interesting, i have 20 year old son for which i telling the same thing as your dad.
    Yes, certificate is valuable too. In fact, this helps me to penetrate in IT jobs even if I don't have a typical 5 years computer education. Likewise i choose that certification because i'm interested in it.

good luck
  • greenpointmoni
    Options
    I work in career services at a college and know first hand the market SUCKS! SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS! I can't say that enough. I have a Master's degree and luckily, got offered this job because of a personal connections. Many of my classmates are still unemployed, a year and half later! Here's my advice:
    1. Intern - I know this seems odd, especially for older students, but it is key. I've received a ton of callback because of my internship experience. Even though I have years of applicable work experience. You have to do an internship nowadays to break into the field you want to. It doesn't hurt to do several internships. If you have time, then just do an unpaid one if that's the only choice.
    2. Join professional associations, contact your old schools career services and attend job fairs. Try to go to networking events. Go to meetup.com and see if there are any professional networking groups.
    3. Volunteering as opposed to interning is another way to network
    4. Consider getting an advanced degree, but if you do, make sure you do an internship.
    5. Keep trying. Keep trying. Don't give up.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    Networking and experience in the field is key. If you can, try to maybe volunteer or get some kind of internship or shadow someone in the field. That is how I got a job in my field with a BA in psych is volunteering with kids and doing research with kids in college. Having a professor as a reference is great. Also I agree with what someone else said on here, you might have to start lower on the ladder and work your way up. Its worth it to take a pay cut now so that you can get some experience under your belt in order to get the job you really want and get that cash money lol
  • snowboardn
    Options
    I think we all know how hard it can be to put yourself out there... But I will say you being at home and not having immediate financial worries is a blessing... Couple of things to suggest...

1. "Please do not call / go to our website"... screw that... go in there, in person, if you can find names, numbers, anything to talk to the person that looks at the resume's... The worst they can do is tell you to go away, in which you are in the same position you were. And when you get there, ask the person at the front desk who does the hiring, what are they like, who would they contact to get hired... People in general are very helpful who already have jobs, and if you come in with a likable attitude they will want to do what they can to help you get hired.

2. You look like you are pretty fit, and the military is always an option... Not as much as it used to be... As an E-4, which is a rank you should be able to make in a couple of years, I was making 35k a year, plus free schooling if you decided to move on to your masters.

3. Like somebody said, don't get discouraged, you are just a piece of paper to these people until they get to meet you... Do what you can to become more than just a piece of paper. And make sure if/when they get to meet you that you take every opportunity to impress them.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Volunteer- SOmetimes this leads to you getting a paid position in the company.

Look at things like AmeriCorps. The stipend is small but at least it is something, and they offer money for any student loan debt.

Maybe you need to move. SOme locations just arent recovering. I have TWO Masters degrees and couldnt find work in this small town for 2 years. I didnt know anyone (and the only reason I found a job is because of a messy firing in the school district at a weird time of year), and they just dont have my career field around here. We are moving in a few months, and I sent out my resume last week. I already have 3 phone interviews scheduled, and one wanted to know how soon I could start.

Can you substitute teach? Some areas dont require a teaching cert to substitute.

What about nannying? They are ALWAYS hiring for that. Look at other fields. Sometimes you have to find a spaceholder until you can get to where you want to be. I was a waitress and a nanny for 2 years of grad school. Now I make triple what I made with two jobs back then.
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    It's not you. It's the job market. I was in the exact same situation when I graduated. I applied for hundreds of jobs, and accepted low-paying retail jobs and internships, then left them as soon as I got a full-time offer. Sadly, it's the type of environment right now where you have to fight tooth and claw for anything.

Don't give up. Apply for every job you find. Send out dozens of resumes every day. Eventually one will pay off.

Have you gone to employment agencies? They can really help. And temp offices! It's easier to get hired on as a temp, then you can impress them with your work ethic and hopefully get recommended for full time by your boss.
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I graduated with my B.A. in fine art in 2008.... I'm working at Lowe's with over $50,000 in student loans. It sucks. I can't even get a job at a bank or a receptionist job with steadier hours. Makes me wish I would have just skipped college all together.
  • sylviatx
    sylviatx Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry. This job market really sucks. I've got tons of experience, was laid off at the end of January and still no job. Still looking, pretty hard. Plus, I'm sympathetic to being a new grad and having a hard time finding work - I graduated during the Nixon recession and it took me 10 months to find my first job, and that was through a friend of a friend.

Since you have some advertising in your background, may I suggest a membership on Creative Hotlist?
    http://www.creativehotlist.com/advancedsearch/jobs
    I've gotten my best leads from there, have gotten several phone interviews and actual in-person interviews. They do list copywriter positions. You can search by state; searching is free. It's about $35 for six months to put up your resume, profile and some samples of your work. If you're interested you can see some of my work at: http://www.creativehotlist.com/portfolios/i/overview/group2/193229

www.coroflot.com is another job board that lists advertising copywriting.

Join your local branch of the American Advertising Federation and go to monthly meetings. Practice your 30 second elevator speech about your skills and backgrounds and use it every month. The people in your local club can steer you towards openings.

Job seeking is part of why I am working on losing weight. I figured it's just one more thing getting in between me and the right job. I can't change the fact that I'm 61 LOL.
  • dualcollision
    dualcollision Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    This is my exp and also things you might also like as advice.

1) I also graduated last year with a BA in IT (I'm a computer nerd) with 3yrs exp at the age of 24. It took me 6 months just to find a job and that was after turning in thousands of resumes. Sometimes in a down economy, you just have to keep looking, even a little out of your major.

2)the first job I got wasn't an IT job after 6 months but I took it, You know why? Because when you turn in a resume, if you are currently employed, It shows the places you are trying to apply for that you are hirable.

3)only 2 Months... COUNT IT 2 MONTHS after I got that job, i was still turning in job applications and they found I was hirable.

4) another note worth mentioning is the job I have now with that company IS NOT the job I applied for. infact they already had an idea of who they wanted internally to have that job... but they liked me so much, they asked me to work for them part time (25hrs a week) and 4 months later, I got a much better full time job.

Thats my story and my advice. If you can't find a job in your major. look outside it for now and keep trying to get interview while maybe working a new job.

Good luck! :D message if you need more help.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Last time I was looking for work , I went through an agency. They found me a temp contract within 2 months, that eventually turned into a full time job.

ETA - I went through an agency because I lacked the language skills most companies required in my area (I'm functionally bilingual, but my french isn't good enough to work in an all-french office). The agency was able to find me a company where that didn't matter.

A lot of the best jobs are never posted anywhere - they go through agencies to have them weed out the candidates for them.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Here are a few thoughts based on what has worked for me:

-Most jobs are filled through referrals
    -Contacting human resources is a waste of time - their job is to screen you out, not hire you
    -Engage hiring managers directly through emails or a phone call
    -Break the rules
    -Avoid job boards
    -Most "expert" advice is complete bunk

Make a list of where friends, family, and others work and begin your search there. Referrals are the key.

Suggested reading
    http://www.asktheheadhunter.com/basics.htm

"Get hired fast" by Brian Graham
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I graduated with a BA in Health Care Admin in 2011. I got a temp job at the Cleveland Clinic which I was very lucky to get. (it really had nothing to do with Health Care, it was data entry. But I took it anyways because of the Cleveland Clinic.)

I moved to Illinois to follow my husband (he's military) I applied probably 20-30 places a DAY. I finally got a call back and I work for in-home health agency as a scheduler. This is something I will NOT be doing the rest of my life. But you have to start somewhere.

Like others said, try to get into a temp agency they can really help you out.
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    You could try applying to a temp agency and also get some valuable job experience (and possibly references) that way. I did fairly well on that before I quit to have my babies. After 12 years out of the job field, all of my (computer) skills were out of date, so now I`m working at Walmart as a customer service rep. But I put out more than 150 resumes and cover letters before I got this job and I applied everywhere I could. And I`m getting experience and moving up in the company.

Don`t give up! You've got lots going for you!
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Just be wary of the whole "further education" thing. I've got a job as a professor at a fairly big university, and I've seen students graduate with an MA or a PhD who have ended up stocking the shelves at Walmart. Seriously.

While I certainly don't discourage going to grad school to get a higher qualification, please think about it long and hard. And research the program really well. Because there is by no means any guarantee that it will get you where you want to be and you could just end up wasting another $100k.

^^This is what's keeping me from starting my Masters. I've already been burned once. I can't afford to have MORE loans. :sad: