Low-no carb high protein vegetarian/vegan foods?

Options
13»

Replies

• frenchfacey
    frenchfacey Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    im low carb vegan

i eat a lot of tofu, and a ton of soy products...maybe too much actually cuz its still processed

try to stick to tofu, and fresh veggies

i keep my nuts low cuz they are super high calories and fat

and i also have wheat protein isolate powder by optimum nutrition 100 cals a scoop, 1 fat, 3 carbs and 20 protein
  • carolemory9
    Options
    Your problem is this...it sounds like you are not taking into consideration how protein, fiber and fat play a role in carb absorption. There are many diets out there that are Glycemic Index based and that can be adapted to fit a vegan or vegetarian diet. One is the Skinny B*tch diet. I might suggest that you look at Dr. Fuhrman's diets...Becoming a Nurtitarian and his video Forks Over Knives that you can watch on Netflix. Best advice I can give you is instead of looking online for the answer, contact your local hospital or health department for a registered dietician. They can work your diet to meet all your needs and, more often than not, it's a free service that they provide.
  • carolemory9
    Options
    Comment by Redraidergirl "I was hypoglycemic before I became vegetarian and then it went away. It's weird."

Not really weird if you look at Rip Esselstyn's book, The Engine 2 Diet. He promotes a vegan diet based on a plan his father, a cardiologist, created for his patients. In the book he explains how the consumption of animal products creates problems for your immune system and overloads your bodies ability to heal itself. Many people state that going on vegan/vegetarian diets helped them to heal faster including Howard Stern's plucky radio side kick Robin (check the Vegucating Robin Quivers). She turned vegan 3 years before she discovered a large softball size tumor growing in her pelvis. Her vegan diet not only helped her get through treatment, but allowed her to avoid the normal symptoms that plague cancer patients (nausea, tiredness, pain). Many people who have gone vegan have not only reported weight loss, but also the ability to stop taking meds for high blood pressure, high cholesterol and diabetes, usually within a couple of months. So..not so weird....:wink:
  • Tffanie4712
    Options
    Nuts or seeds, tofu? I'm vege/pescaratian so I'm interested to see where this thread goes!

Huh???? I didn't think you could be both!! Vegetarian is a person who doesn't eat meat at all right???Pescaratian is a person who eats fish. You can't be a pescartian and vegetarian. This is why America thinks vegetarian and being a vegan is the same.
  • welshalterego
    Options
    The people saying it is NOT possible without MEAT are talking nonsense, I'm sorry but I've been a pescatarian for 23 years and up until recently I've been healthy (that appears to be hereditary as well). There are vegetables that are not high in Carbs. Potatoes are high in Carbs, most other vegetables are not. Even potatoes are encouraged. Honestly, do your research before making statements like impossible without meat, the vegan athletes would argue with you there! Here is a list of low carb veg (most of it!!!). http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/whatveg.htm Here is a list of veg with protein:
    #1 Sun-Dried Tomatoes 258 calories Protein: 14% Carb: 56% Fat: 2% Other (water): 28%
    #2 Soybean Sprouts 125 calories Protein: 13% Carb: 9% Fat: 7% Other (water): 71%
    #3 Winged Beans 148 calories Protein: 12% Carb: 28% Fat: 1% Other (water): 59%
    #4 Lentil Sprouts 106 calories Protein: 9% Carb: 22% Fat: 0% Other (water): 69%
    #5 Baby Lima Beans 132 calories Protein: 8% Carb: 25% Fat: 0% Other (water): 67%
    #6 Garlic 149 calories Protein: 6% Carb: 33% Fat: 0% Other (water): 61%
    #7 Dried Seaweed(Sushi Nori) 306 calories Protein: 6% Carb: 81% Fat: 0% Other (water): 13%
    #8 Grape Leaves 93 calories Protein: 6% Carb: 17% Fat: 1% Other (water): 76%
    #9 Green Peas 77 calories Protein: 5% Carb: 14% Fat: 0% Other (water): 81%
    #10 Succotash(Corn And Limas) 115 calories Protein: 5% Carb: 24% Fat: 1% Other (water): 70%
    #11 Wasabi Root 109 calories Protein: 5% Carb: 24% Fat: 0% Other (water): 71%
    #12 Portabella Mushrooms 35 calories Protein: 4% Carb: 5% Fat: 0% Other (water): 91%
    #13 Spinach 34 calories Protein: 4% Carb: 5% Fat: 1% Other (water): 90%
    #14 Alfalfa Sprouts 23 calories Protein: 4% Carb: 2% Fat: 1% Other (water): 93%
    #15 Peas And Onions 70 calories Protein: 4% Carb: 14% Fat: 0% Other (water): 82%
    #16 White Mushrooms 44 calories Protein: 4% Carb: 6% Fat: 0% Other (water): 90%
    #17 Broccoli Raab 33 calories Protein: 4% Carb: 3% Fat: 0% Other (water): 93%
    #18 Straw Mushrooms 32 calories Protein: 4% Carb: 5% Fat: 0% Other (water): 91%
    #19 Brussels Sprouts 41 calories Protein: 4% Carb: 8% Fat: 0% Other (water): 88%
    #20 Balsam-Pear (Bitter Gourd) 34 calories Protein: 4% Carb: 7% Fat: 0% Other (water): 89%
    #21 Podded Peas 52 calories Protein: 4% Carb: 9% Fat: 0% Other (water): 87%
    #22 Shiitake Mushrooms 48 calories Protein: 3% Carb: 8% Fat: 0% Other (water): 89%
    #23 Peas And Carrots 53 calories Protein: 3% Carb: 11% Fat: 0% Other (water): 86%
    #24 Turnip Greens 29 calories Protein: 3% Carb: 5% Fat: 0% Other (water): 92%
    #25 Sweet Corn 108 calories Protein: 3% Carb: 25% Fat: 1% Other (water): 71%
    #26 Oyster Mushrooms 43 calories Protein: 3% Carb: 6% Fat: 0% Other (water): 91%
    #27 Kale 50 calories Protein: 3% Carb: 10% Fat: 0% Other (water): 87%
    #28 Artichokes (Globe Or French) 47 calories Protein: 3% Carb: 11% Fat: 0% Other (water): 86%
    #29 Chives 30 calories Protein: 3% Carb: 4% Fat: 1% Other (water): 92%
    #30 Asparagus 24 calories Protein: 3% Carb: 4% Fat: 0% Other (water): 93%
    #31 Broccoli 28 calories Protein: 3% Carb: 5% Fat: 0% Other (water): 92%
    #32 Cauliflower 32 calories Protein: 3% Carb: 6% Fat: 0% Other (water): 91%
    #33 Collards 36 calories Protein: 3% Carb: 7% Fat: 0% Other (water): 90%
    #34 Parsley 36 calories Protein: 3% Carb: 6% Fat: 1% Other (water): 90%

Read more at http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/vegetables-high-in-protein.php#1wZsHC0PHrxBXB5I.99.

I would suggest you do some research and find out how the items work together and how our bodies require all of these things to keep our systems stable and don't listen to people telling you that you can't do it without meat. I know some seriously happy, healthy vegans!!
  • rachellouisa2014
    Options
    Tofu ! :)
  • fxg20
    fxg20 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I never heard of seitan, I have to check up some recipes and some of the other nice vegetarian options mentiones.

It's great, but it doesn't get as much attention as other meat alternatives because gluten free is very trendy right now and seitan is....pure wheat gluten. Fantastic for a vegan cheesesteak and many other applications.
  • smashpaquet
    Options
    Hemp Hearts and chia seeds are great if you are active... they are basically perfect nutrition!

-combine 1-2 cups of raw kale with 50g-100g of hemp seeds and one table spoon of chia seeds- my daily staple its really filling and tastes amazing.

please general recipe below... with added goodness above :) I skip all the cheese and some of that other stuff and just add the things I like that are healthy....

You can never eat too many good-for-you veggies, and kale is about as good as it gets. If you happen to find a jar of oil-packed semi-dried tomatoes (or better yet semi-dried cherry tomatoes) at your local grocer, try these instead of sun-dried tomatoes. The semi-dried version is softer and gives up more of its tomato flavor to the slaw. Check the labels on olive oil to determine which is described as fruity.

1 large bunch kale
    ½ cup (125 mL) fruity extra virgin olive oil
    3 tbsp (45 mL) red wine vinegar
    1 clove garlic, finely chopped
    ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
    ¼ cup (60 mL) pine nuts, toasted
    ½ cup (125 mL) oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and chopped
    Grated Parmesan cheese to garnish

1 Trim and discard the thick centre rib from each kale leaf. Stack the leaves and cut into thin strips across the width.

2 In a large bowl, toss leaves with the olive oil, vinegar, garlic, salt, pine nuts and tomatoes. Let salad stand at room temperature for 15 minutes to allow the flavours to blend and the kale to soften slightly. Check for seasoning and finish with a generous handful of freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

Makes 4 to 6 servings
  • hhlathrop
    hhlathrop Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Do you have any links to good recipes for snacks and meals that are low carb and vegan?
  • SuzyPateva
    SuzyPateva Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this suggestion. I have been looking for a vegetarian source of high protein with low carbs and fat. I was nearly resigned to protein shakes!