How do you wake up early for exercise?

Options

Replies

• ceannesjourney
    Options
    As soon as the alarm goes off, I jump out of bed and start beating myself in the chest while screaming ,"IT'S GO TIME, LET'S DO THIS!!"

My children need therapy, but at least I get my workout in.

I LOVE this idea!
  • Chinadorian
    Chinadorian Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    If I have someone who Im meeting at the gym or to go running ...that usually gets me going.I dont mind dissapointing myself, but I hate ditching out on others lol. Otherwise, hit snooze, sleep, repeat.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Go to bed at a reasonable hour, set my alarm for the time I want to get up just in case I don't automatically wake up before it goes off. I lay out all my workout clothes the night before so I can change right into them when I wake up. I get up, go to the bathroom, get into my gym clothes, and head out the door. I get to the gym anywhere between 5 and 6 depending on when I wake up.
  • ceannesjourney
    Options
    I just had to build up this mindset by proving to myself that it is better to get up early. I had to do this all summer every summer when it's easy to hop out of bed cause it's hot - because by the time winter gets here, man oh man i do NOT want to come out from under the blankets. No. NO NO NO cold hurts!!!!

But I proved to myself these things:

1. waking up early enough that I am mentally alert BEFORE I arrive at work, makes me smarter and quicker and wittier all day. my sense of humor and ability to communicate my thoughts wants and needs also improve.

2. it gives me time to have a workout, even a 20-30 minute one - which will feed my preference for thinking of myself as an active individual - so Im basically working out just to stroke my own ego while my body makes happy drugs.

3. then I can sit down and have breakfast. a beautiful, healthy, tasty breakfast. One I can be proud of. Probably take a picture of.

tumblr_m8fw2pQlC31qffloyo1_500.jpg

without technology and tv distracting me, just me and my thoughts, a little reading. It's PEACEFUL.

4. I taught myself that waking up and having a positive peaceful hour, in which I do three things good for me (exercise, stroke my ego and eat a healthy meal without distraction) will lend themselves to me having a productive, happy, emotionally balanced day. I taught myself that getting out of bed is worth it, to have a day that feels strong and I know will have a stronger face to it, that it will be harder to tear me down if I wake up like a boss, like a warrior, like a human to be reckoned with, that has her sht together.

I get out of bed cause I dont want to ruin the reputation I have with myself.

This is a great idea too!
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I do it in the afternoon as soon as I get off of work!
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    set the alarm
    FREEZING cold water first then when you crawal out of bed
  • rciszek
    rciszek Posts: 134
    Options
    I try to get to bed "on time" so that I get my 7 hours in, I lay my clothes out the night before, and.....I have my dog who hears my alarm go off and cries at me to get me to get up and go...so, I have help too.
  • Arleigh7
    Arleigh7 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I set the alarm.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5AM for work on the weekdays and have been doing that for 20 years, so I am used to it. On Saturdays I run in the morning and get up no later than 6AM. I try to remember the positive reward that awaits me later - we go out and treat ourselves to a nice lunch every Saturday. So I think having some reward for your hard work helps a lot, especially when I think about all the calories I'm going to eat.

If all else fails, get a cat. We have four and they will not let me sleep in!
  • SignalRunner77
    Options
    My boys do the trick most days. But there's this magical device called an alarm clock. Amazing
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I absolutely hate mornings and have NEVER liked getting up early!

If you have a friend you can workout with, it's a bit easier because you know they will be waiting for you. Somtimes that is all that will get me up.

Have your clothes, ipod, etc., ready the night before, that way you can get dressed faster, even though you're half asleep.

If you drink coffee, have it ready the night before. You can even make it and put it in a thermos the night before and it'll be hot when you get up!

If you don't drink coffee, have an energy drink if you like that stuff. If not that, have some water.

Wash your face, brush your teeth.

Just go. Once you're awake and out there, you'll be ok and glad you did it.
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    i don't. i do mine in the evening. no one says you have to do it in the morning. do what works for you. i can't get up before 6:30 so i'm not going to force myself. that woudl make me hate and dread exercise. doing it about 7pm works for me.
  • michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SGRHO23
    SGRHO23 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    My clothes are ready and I set the alarm on the clock on my nightstand, my phone, and sometimes the guest bedroom. That way I have to get up to cut it off. It drives me crazy.
  • emyishardcore
    emyishardcore Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    As soon as the alarm goes off, I jump out of bed and start beating myself in the chest while screaming ,"IT'S GO TIME, LET'S DO THIS!!"

My children need therapy, but at least I get my workout in.

Ha ha love this!!
    haha Yah I agree, it's awesome!
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I have my alarm set at 4:30am and it's across the bedroom so I have to get up and out of bed, clothes are laid out the night before and I also have a walking/running neighbour that I text every night before bed to make sure we are on for the morning.... if she says yes, then I can NOT be a no show.

It's really hard to do , considering it was 12 degrees out this morning here in Maine, but I think I get out the door before my brain registers what I am doing... LOL

I love returning home to a pot of freshly brewed coffee, Christmas tree lights on and the pellet stove roaring.... it's my reward for getting my *kitten* out there for a hour each morning....
  • tyresank
    tyresank Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I just DO IT! After 14 mths of consistant exercise on a schedule, it's become a habit. Whilst I was always a morning person, getting up at 4am to be at the gym at 5am was a bit hard at 1st but now, it's routine. Only Saturday do I take it slower and go for 8am. I never hit the snooze button, and I just get up right away once the alarm goes off, no procrastination.
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I just can't do it. The only thing that makes me get up to go workout in the morning is to commit to a class or a group run or something like that. and then it's only if it starts at 8:00 or later. I'm just too cranky before that to expose myself to other human beings.
    If I think I'm just going to pop out of bed two hours before work and go for a run by myself, not going to happen. I don't even try it any more. I just know I'm a late afternoon/evening work out-er.
  • haley129
    Options
    shot of espresso as soon as you wake up, you arent going back to sleep after that!

Too funny! I wish I liked expresso!
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I don't go in the morning anymore because sometimes I work late and I'd be super sleepy but when I did, these things helped:
    -Set a bedtime alarm. I still use this. I wanted to get 7 hours of sleep (my best amount). So in order to get up at 6am, I set a 10:30 and 11pm alarm.
    -During that 30 minutes, get ready for the next day. Lay out your workout clothes including shoes and socks. Put your water bottle, keys, armband, etc close by. Have your bathroom tidy so it's easy to find thing while half sleep (I'm very loopy when I first wake up).
    -Be in bed by the second alarm.
    -Set TWO morning alarms. I wanted to be up at 6 so I set one for 545am and 6am. You feel like you hit snooze, so you'll get up the second time.

I might be forgetting something but hope that helps :)

I remembered one. Sometimes drinking water or fruit as soon as I woke up helped. I have to eat fruit or yogurt if I'm working out first thing in the morning.