Anyone else with this issue???

Options
Do you notice how some people lose 30,40 or 50 pounds and go down 5,6,or 7 pants sizes???? I am just now to where I can go down a pants size after 35 pounds lost! What the hell??!!

Replies

• firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Oh girl, I feel you... there was a whole thread on this the other day!

It's all about body type. Us wide-set hip girls will always be in a bigger size than someone with more narrow hips.

My well worn example: I was dealing with severe anorexia and got down to 95 lbs at 5'6". I worn a 7/8, owned ONE pair of pants that were 5/6 (but I blame the brand). I am now 5'6" at 156 and wear a size 9/10. At my heaviest, I wore a 11/12. That's only TWO size differences over an almost 80 pound difference (granted, my body fat is low at my current weight vs. typical scale numbers).

But yeah, I get discouraged sometimes still when I see women shorter and heavier than me in sizes two to three sizes smaller than me... but we gotta learn that sizing AIN'T NOTHING BUT A NUMBER.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If it makes you feel better, I lost 5 lbs before and lost a pant size and I am a guy.

First, it depends where you store your fat. Second, if you concentrate on a moderate deficit and heavy weight training, you will increase fat loss over weight loss. Fat loss is where you see the adjustments in clothes. Weight is pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things.
  • lovelyrose11
    lovelyrose11 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Before I got pregnant, I lost 25 lbs and was still in the same size pants! It is so irritating.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Its because you arent doing HEAVY squats.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I've lost 25 - my pants are tighter. Sometimes I think I'll never go down a size.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    that was the SAME WITH ME WHEN i LOST my most weight before.

LIFT wights and see yourself TIGHTEN up, then the sizes will drop drop drop!!
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Well I guess I need to start working out hard core again!!!!!
  • betoarango
    betoarango Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    The opposite is sometimes true... I gained 30 lbs in the last 3 years without changing my pant size (but boy were they tight)... I assume I will have to loose at least 35-40 to move one size down...
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    It just depends on where your body chooses to lose weight from first. I lose from the upper ribs down to low on the hips, but it takes an act of congress to lose inches off my thighs. SO I guess you lost most of all that weight (great job, btw!) from places mostly not involved in your jean size. Keep going, you'll get there!
  • SarahSteele89
    Options
    Yup Ive lost 41 pounds in total so far and am only down one pant size!! lol makes me think maybe i was squeezing myself into sizes before that were way to small and I didnt realise? It is pretty frustrating!!
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Honestly I think it depends on how large the sizes are when you start. It took me forever to get from a 14 to a 12 (more than likely for the fact that I really needed a 16 when I started). But I remember going from a 10 to a 6 really fast (I practically skipped an 8 all together).

Working out (lifting heavy) will definitely speed up the sizes lost.
  • GeekGirl23
    GeekGirl23 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    This is totally me. I have only gone down 2 sizes in 35 lbs. But I know that my body shrinks from the limbs on in... so I know eventually the waist will cinch
  • deniseearheart
    Options
    One thing I will say , as stressful and frustrating as this has been for me.. Considering I started in March and am a heavier person and just now down 35 pounds I do feel a lot better and like the way my body is looking from going slower but it is a frustrating process and the weight didn't start coming off faster until I went through a hard break up!!!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel better, I lost 5 lbs before and lost a pant size and I am a guy.

First, it depends where you store your fat. Second, if you concentrate on a moderate deficit and heavy weight training, you will increase fat loss over weight loss. Fat loss is where you see the adjustments in clothes. Weight is pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things.
    Clothing sizes are pretty meaningless as well in the grand scheme of things, seeing as they are generally completely arbitrary numbers with no real world correlation.
  • deniseearheart
    Options
    Honestly I think it depends on how large the sizes are when you start. It took me forever to get from a 14 to a 12 (more than likely for the fact that I really needed a 16 when I started). But I remember going from a 10 to a 6 really fast (I practically skipped an 8 all together).

Working out (lifting heavy) will definitely speed up the sizes lost.

yes that very well could be!!! My pants were pretty tight before and now they are falling off ..
  • deniseearheart
    Options
    Yup Ive lost 41 pounds in total so far and am only down one pant size!! lol makes me think maybe i was squeezing myself into sizes before that were way to small and I didnt realise? It is pretty frustrating!!

my thoughts exactly
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I'm down 23 lbs and 1 pant size.

It's friggin frustrating.

it's all about body shape. I carry my weight in my thighs and butt so it takes A LOT for my pant size to change
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 lbs and went does 1 pant size~ I have a huge waist-hip ratio. My hips will be forever giant but I'm cool with it.
  • IamBlackMamba
    Options
    I feel ya I lost 33lbs and went down one size.

I know we should be more happy about the weight loss but society makes us think we should all be a size 0

Congrats on your loss!
  • ejbraun
    ejbraun Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I've felt the same way. I am down 85lbs in total and only down 3 sizes... hopefully soon to be 4.