Calories In Versus Calories Out = CRAP!

Options
14567810»

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Opinions are like noses--everybody's got one.

Agreed.

However, while everyone is certainly entitled to having their own opinions, that does not mean that all opinions are equally valid.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Clearly you've never met Lord Voldemort.
  • improvninja
    improvninja Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have a question, and it is due to my being a novice and struggling to fully understand this weight loss of mine. For example, yesterday my "calories in" was around 1700. I did go to the gym and with the "calories out" expenditure, dropped me into the deficit of calories. Not counting my normal daily calorie expenditure of just...exisiting...is this a bad thing. I was told I may need to eat back some of those "exercise" calories.

This is where I need help. Looking to lose weight, but also want to steer clear of starvation mode.

Feel free to friend me as well. Looking for the encouragement core.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I have a question, and it is due to my being a novice and struggling to fully understand this weight loss of mine. For example, yesterday my "calories in" was around 1700. I did go to the gym and with the "calories out" expenditure, dropped me into the deficit of calories. Not counting my normal daily calorie expenditure of just...exisiting...is this a bad thing. I was told I may need to eat back some of those "exercise" calories.

This is where I need help. Looking to lose weight, but also want to steer clear of starvation mode.

Feel free to friend me as well. Looking for the encouragement core.

It depends... initially (especially for the obese) you will have no problems not eating exercise calories... but as you get closer to your goal, deep calorie deficits over the long-term will cause you problems.

So to answer your question, you can get away with it for now, but if your weight loss begins to stall, you will need to increase your calorie intake to keep going.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

Or Michael Jackson.
  • improvninja
    Options
    Thank you.

On a general note...is it better to strive for burning more calories at the gym with exercise than you took in with food? Does this encourage weight loss?
  • improvninja
    Options
    It depends... initially (especially for the obese) you will have no problems not eating exercise calories... but as you get closer to your goal, deep calorie deficits over the long-term will cause you problems.

So to answer your question, you can get away with it for now, but if your weight loss begins to stall, you will need to increase your calorie intake to keep going.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Thank you.

On a general note...is it better to strive for burning more calories at the gym with exercise than you took in with food? Does this encourage weight loss?

I encourage you to go back and read my previous posts.

You have to decide what you really want. Your weight is comprised of lean mass (bones, hair, organs), muscle, fat, and water. Weight loss can be comprised of any of these four things. You have to decide what part of your weight you want to lose.

If you just want to lose weight and don't care about what that weight is comprised of, excessive cardio and a moderate deficit will do the trick.

If you want to lose primarily fat and preserve muscle, moderate cardio, moderate calorie deficit, and strength training is the route that you want to take.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    A highly recommend people join this group if you want more information:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

The moderators of this group know what they are talking about and are always willing to share information to help others get there.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

You DARE speak his name!
  • demilade
    demilade Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Like i said before, my calories were a bit low and when i increased them my weightloss restarted. This week i have had a lot of salt and my weightloss hass stopped again, even though i met my calories.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Like i said before, my calories were a bit low and when i increased them my weightloss restarted. This week i have had a lot of salt and my weightloss hass stopped again, even though i met my calories.
    Chances are good that your weight loss hasn't in fact stopped, but rather that water retention due to the excess sodium intake is masking it.