Calories In Versus Calories Out = CRAP!

Options

Replies

• cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I just want to add that some of you people are completely rude!!!!!!!!!! She was stating an opinion so 7 pages of you people had to post to tell her she is wrong???? WTF!!!!!! I thought this site was motivational!!! If this poor woman chooses not to get back on this site ever again, I wouldn't blame her one bit!!!!!!! How can you people sleep after telling someone they aren't special and they are "doing it wrong"??? This is crazy!!!!! People!!!! She is having trouble!!! She has probably been criticized for a while because she is overweight and you "people" want to shut her thinking down and make her sound stupid??? WOW it's high school all over again!!!! *very disappointed*

On another note, just tweak what you are doing. The only thing I agree with is give it time. Change it up until you find something that works. Remember EVERYONE is special so something that works for "John Doe" may not work for you, but I am sure you will find the right fit. :) Feel free to add me as a friend and I will offer some needed motivation as often as possible. Good day to you!!! :)

What's funny is people who say they're special or things don't work for them seem to get a lot of advice from people who haven't lost a whole lot of weight or this is their 3rd or 4th attempt...but when someone who has lost 50, 100, 200 pounds says you're not special...well...heaven forbid!!! Weight loss is simple, it's science, it's physics, it's already proven. If someone doesn't have the discipline to follow through with it, or the will power to succeed, that's on them...it's not because they're special or different, it's just that they are not patient enough to wait for results. Why do you think all these fad diets are such money makers...because people are in a hurry to lose and don't actually want to work for it.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I just want to add that some of you people are completely rude!!!!!!!!!! She was stating an opinion so 7 pages of you people had to post to tell her she is wrong???? WTF!!!!!! I thought this site was motivational!!! If this poor woman chooses not to get back on this site ever again, I wouldn't blame her one bit!!!!!!! How can you people sleep after telling someone they aren't special and they are "doing it wrong"??? This is crazy!!!!! People!!!! She is having trouble!!! She has probably been criticized for a while because she is overweight and you "people" want to shut her thinking down and make her sound stupid??? WOW it's high school all over again!!!! *very disappointed*

On another note, just tweak what you are doing. The only thing I agree with is give it time. Change it up until you find something that works. Remember EVERYONE is special so something that works for "John Doe" may not work for you, but I am sure you will find the right fit. :) Feel free to add me as a friend and I will offer some needed motivation as often as possible. Good day to you!!! :)

Everyone is NOT special, everyone is the same. We are all the same species, our bodies all function in the same way. Your way of thinking is honestly part of the problem, not part of the solution. Blindly changing things will not accomplish anything. This is science, not pin the tail on the donkey.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I think your mistake is in honestly believing you've had the massive deficits you think you've had. 1800 is insane.

Get a HRM and a food scale, then try it again.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

I'm sensing a product of the, "You can do no wrong" generation (and that's saying something, since you're only a few years younger than me).

Sorry, sister. You're not special. I'm not special. No one's special. Do I have some issues that make it harder than "normal" to drop weight? Absolutely. Does that make the science behind how my body works completely different? No.

"Just like high school"? Were you the kid who sobbed when someone told them, "Sorry, I just don't like like you" or ran home crying when you failed a test?

Regardless of how you've been raised to perceive the world and yourself, let me flip it on you:

Say this woman came on saying she's trying to train for a marathon. She says she's been trying to train for three years. When people ask her how often she runs, she says, "Well, not consistently, and actually I haven't done it at all for two weeks, and I haven't gotten any closer to my goal of running a marathon over the last three years..."

So if people responded, "You need to start, well, running," would you similarly attack them as "attacking her and telling her she's wrong"?

P.S. If I state an "opinion" on valid science like, "I believe the world is flat" (oh shi-), you're seriously going to just let me walk around with that deluded belief? What favor would you be doing me by letting me live in ignorance?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    P.S. If I state an "opinion" on valid science like, "I believe the world is flat" (oh shi-), you're seriously going to just let me walk around with that deluded belief? What favor would you be doing me by letting me live in ignorance?

Seriously... this! ^^^
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    lol if you arent losing body weight, you are not in a defecit.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Everyone is NOT special, everyone is the same. We are all the same species, our bodies all function in the same way.

The first sentence is correct. "Everyone" is not special. The second sentence is BS. All bodies do NOT function in the same way.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Everyone is NOT special, everyone is the same. We are all the same species, our bodies all function in the same way.

The first sentence is correct. "Everyone" is not special. The second sentence is BS. All bodies do NOT function in the same way.

k, but the laws of thermodynamics work for everyone.
  • bcattoes
    Options

k, but the laws of thermodynamics work for everyone.

Which is a completely different statement.

And yeah, if we ignore everything other than thermodynamics, then perhaps we are all similar. But since more than thermodynamics can influence weight loss, some people really are "snowflakes".
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options

agreed.
  • dantrick
    dantrick Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring your food intake or estimating?
    Same for your exercise and calorie burn.
    Even trying to be very precise, there is a lot of room for error. You may not be at the deficit you think you are at.

A little more on this. Get a food scale and a HRM (heart rate monitor). Believe me don't by a package of boneless skinless chicken breasts and think each piece is a 4oz serving. once you weigh it you might very shocked. same with what your really burning in calories compared to what some apps estimate per exercise.
  • testease
    testease Posts: 220
    Options

for 99% of the population all bodies start off functioning the exact same way. Its the chronic abuse of food that ****s you up and creates all these "special snow flakes".
  • amypomm
    amypomm Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Maybe you have a Wheat allergy
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

If your body is not functioning in the same way as everybody else, then you are either:

A. doing it wrong
    B. have other health issues

You need to see a doctor for assistance.
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    MFP has taught me one very important thing and that is that I don't think I am eating enough. So I am going to start eating more often and exercise more

Atta girl! That's the right attitude! On most days have a calorie deficit, on some days meet your calories and give yourself a day to go a little over. Eat clean and eat enough to live (ie don't go significantly below your TDEE). Do cardio and weight bearing exercises and for gooness sakes ENJOY LIFE! While you may have a goal that can be represented on the scale that little (or big) number can't represent the sum total of your success.
  • bcattoes
    Options

If your body is not functioning in the same way as everybody else, then you are either:

A. doing it wrong

Not sure what is meant by A (doing what wrong, exactly?) but agree with B.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

A. doing it wrong

Not sure what is meant by A (doing what wrong, exactly?) but agree with B.

A means that you are causing yourself nutritional defeciencies by eating too few calories OR by omitting foods that your body needs.
  • bcattoes
    Options

for 99% of the population all bodies start off functioning the exact same way. Its the chronic abuse of food that ****s you up and creates all these "special snow flakes".

I have no idea if your statistic is correct, but I I fail to see how when a snowflake is created influences its existence. Whether or not some bodies lose/gain differently is not based on "majority rules".
  • Serenitypath
    Options
    Opinions are like noses--everybody's got one.

Mine is in agreement with the starvation mode theory/malnutrition (avoid by eating adequate calories and NEVER skipping meals), possible water weight, and seriously, consider the long-term. Extremely rapid weight loss is a quick-fix. Most "experts" and "professionals" advise only 1-2 pounds per week. I have never found a health-oriented site or individual who would allow fewer than 1200 calories for ANY adult so the calorie deficit of 800-1800 sounds frightening to me.

Then, I think the advice about measuring tape, not just a scale, is great! Also, if you do the same workout every time, your body gains "muscle memory" then can run on virtual auto-pilot which will create a plateau.

The exception to this, in my opinion, is for people who run/walk every day. Be encouraged--eventually you will find what works for you and your body.

If you want to friend or msg me on this site, I'd be happy to share with you more of what I've learned in my own journey. Either way, I wish you luck!