If you have to cut your workout short...

Options
what do you sacrifice? I usually do about 40 min lifting and 1 hour of cardio when i go to the gym. Today I only had 1 hour, so I did 20 min lifting and 40 of cardio. Then I kept wondering"Should I have just not lifted at ALL? Should I have done my full lifting and cut cardio? Does it really even freakin' matter?"
So-what do you guys do if you don't have your usual time?

Replies

• FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Lifting would always be a priority
  • mominwi419
    Options
    I would cut the cardio short. I feel much better after a good lifting session.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    i cut cardio if i'm low on time. i'll do HIITs instead of a long session. i end up sweating more and breathing harder anyways.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Now here is my conundrum. My goal right now is to lose as much fat as possible while maintaining lean muscle mass. I need the cardio for the quick fat loss, but need the weights to help prevent as much muscle loss as possible. Hence, the reason I opted to cut them both short, but still do both.
    Who else-and WHY are you choosing the cut the way you are?
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    lifting for me...I actually cut out cardio now.
  • _Peacebone_
    _Peacebone_ Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    That's a long time at the gym! I prefer to keep my workouts under 45 minutes, so I just skip the cardio all together. I get my cardio doing fun things (sports, bedroom, etc :wink: )
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Now here is my conundrum. My goal right now is to lose as much fat as possible while maintaining lean muscle mass. I need the cardio for the quick fat loss, but need the weights to help prevent as much muscle loss as possible. Hence, the reason I opted to cut them both short, but still do both.
    You lose fat at a calorie deficit. You're body is constantly burning fat.

Always, always cut the cardio if you have to cut something. That's the best way to get the body you desire.

Just my advice.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I work out at home. I like to get it all done in one sweep but I couldn't today. I did half, then the other half when I had more time.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    cut the cardio...if you are eating at a deficit, then you will be losing anyways. Always keep the lifting IMO
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    cardio. i always cut out the cardio.

i never ever ever cut short my warm up or cool down and stretch.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    I give up cardio if i am short on time. You can lose weight without it, just restricting calories. Lifting helps with preserving more muscle mass while losing weight, therefore, lower body fat percentage when you're done!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Prioritize the main lift, ditch the assistance work.

But this really all depends on personal goals. My goals are currently strength and hypertrophy, so of course cardio is the first thing I would ditch. If my goal was to run a marathon, then I would prioritize running.
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I've had days where all I can fit in is a fast 10 minute run. I try to get some form of exercise everyday and I usually work out for an hour. The days I don't have time are the days I'll normally run as fast as possible or throw in some hill work to burn as many calories in whatever time I have.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I cut the cardio short.

Never the warm up, never the cool down and NEVER EVER the strength training.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    You lose fat at a calorie deficit. You're body is constantly burning fat.

Always, always cut the cardio if you have to cut something. That's the best way to get the body you desire.

Just my advice.

Agree 100%.
  • gadenni34
    gadenni34 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    add me to the cut the cardio list. I would definitely prioritize lifting over cardio...and often do.
  • crazy4lulu
    crazy4lulu Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    lifting always takes first priority!!!!
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    When that's my predicament, I always skip cardio. I can make up for not burning a large amount of calories by my eating, I can't make up for tearing the *kitten* out of my muscles.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    After lifting, I'm too screwed to be doing an hour of cardio. At best, 10 minutes of HIIT.

Time to step up your lifting, perhaps?
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I usually only have a certain amount of time so what I do is this:
    M, W, F-lift days
    T, Th-cardio
    Saturday and Sunday-cardio with a lift day as well if I have extra time or want to feel awesome :tongue:

BUT if I had to pick, as much as I love running, I'd cut the cardio short and lift instead. For me, cardio is easier to add an extra few minutes here or there to get that back than it is to lift since I don't like doing less sets/reps than I always do