If you have to cut your workout short...

Options

Replies

• yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Lifting would always be a priority
    Now here is my conundrum. My goal right now is to lose as much fat as possible while maintaining lean muscle mass. I need the cardio for the quick fat loss, but need the weights to help prevent as much muscle loss as possible. Hence, the reason I opted to cut them both short, but still do both.
    Who else-and WHY are you choosing the cut the way you are?

Lifting is what will get you where you need to be. I have lost more fat lifting than I ever did with cardio. It's worth reading up on it. Nia Shanks talks about it at www.beautifulbadass.com and so does Steve Kamb at www.nerdfitness.com too. I still do cardio because I play a sport that requires me to be able to run the equivalent of about two thirds of a half marathon in an 80 minute game but I only do one run that's longer than 40 mins a week now and do high intensity sprint intervals and hill runs otherwise. I love what the combination of lifting and sprinting is doing for my body and my overall cardiovascular fitness. Do a little bit of research, and welcome to the "dark side" of not being a cardio queen anymore hahahahahaha :drinker:
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Now here is my conundrum. My goal right now is to lose as much fat as possible while maintaining lean muscle mass. I need the cardio for the quick fat loss, but need the weights to help prevent as much muscle loss as possible. Hence, the reason I opted to cut them both short, but still do both.
    Who else-and WHY are you choosing the cut the way you are?
    You lose fat at a calorie deficit. You're body is constantly burning fat.

Always, always cut the cardio if you have to cut something. That's the best way to get the body you desire.

Just my advice.

Agree 100%.

Cubed. And believe me, I'm a fan of running.

But you can squeeze cardio in here and there all day. Do your proper lifting routine.
  • letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    do a 20min hard interval cardio session on the bike (or cross trainer if you have to) then lift.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    After lifting, I'm too screwed to be doing an hour of cardio. At best, 10 minutes of HIIT.

Time to step up your lifting, perhaps?

I tend to agree. 100 minutes of exercise per day, though not necessarily a bad thing, is definitely not required for excellent strength fitness. Figure out 3 hrs of strength training and maybe 1 hr of cardio type work per WEEK is an excellent baseline.
  • starcatcher1975
    starcatcher1975 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    After lifting, I'm too screwed to be doing an hour of cardio. At best, 10 minutes of HIIT.

Time to step up your lifting, perhaps?

I was thinking the same. After lifting, I can manage about 20 mins of cardio but then I'm ready to fall out. Maybe I'm just more out of shape than I realized. That's a long time at the gym. I'm usually in and out in 45 mins or less. I'd keep the lifting and cut the cardio
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Unless it happens on a frequent basis, I don't believe it matters. I would cut whichever I was least in the mood for that day.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Another recommendation to the OP:

Why do you feel the need to both on the same day?

I lift three days a week, and try to run at least two, if not three. I devote no more than 50 minutes to either (the runs are normally a good deal shorter than that). That way, I'm able to give lifting my FULL attention one day, and then work on improving my endurance the next day.

I agree with some of the above posters. If I am able to do a full hour of cardio after my lifting, I didn't lift hard enough, at all.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I like to do a 15 minute warm up of cardio and then lift for about a half hour or 40 minutes - alternating with someone else - figure in an hour?
  • BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I cut the cardio when I'm short I'm time. I just eat less that day to make up for the cardio I didn't do. I can't make up for lifting I didn't do by changing anything else, so I prioritize it at the top. This is how I did it when I was losing weight, and while I've been maintaining.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    If I'm doing strength training that day, I don't tend to do more than 30 minutes of cardio before weights, and by the time I'm done with that, which for me a max session before I'm spent is 60 minutes. Maybe lift harder for a shorter time, and don't do so much cardio on strength days.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I do not ever cut the workout shorts they are too expansive. Under armor
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Cardio get booted
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I do not ever cut the workout shorts they are too expansive. Under armor

they sure do have stretch...
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Lifting is always my priority.

That said, if I have to cut my lifting workout short I prefer to cut sets (eg 2 sets instead of 3) than actual lifts out
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options

THIS.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Well seeing how I don't do cardio on days that I lift I usually just drop the isolation exercises at the end of my work-outs if I'm pressed for time and keep the intensity/volume for my heavy compounds.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Your body continues to burn after your weight training. You body stops burning the minute you quit your cardio.
  • salubriousliving
    Options
    is this any different from someone trying to lose weight rather than build muscle? thanks in advance
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Definitely cut my cardio short.
  • _Peacebone_
    _Peacebone_ Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    is this any different from someone trying to lose weight rather than build muscle? thanks in advance
    No. You should lift if you are trying to lose weight to maintain the muscle mass you already have. You won't build muscle on a calorie deficit.