Six ways to see the Hobbit..which do u choose?

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I'll probably be seeing a matinee of it in standard, just because I'm a tightwad. But it may end up being our Christmas day movie, which could change things a bit.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    IMAX 3D for sure.

But I will force myself to wait a few weeks for my peeps. We are all getting together for a LOTR trilogy before going to see Hobbit. Extended blu-ray versions of all of them.

I've been trying to re-read both novels, but have been slacking, so we will probably do a movie marathon instead. :laugh:
  • MarthaAnn8186
    MarthaAnn8186 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Standard. I am so excited.
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Did the HFR 3D last night. Took a little getting used to at first, but looked really cool. Really enjoyed the film. :drinker:
  • LeeWorrall88
    Options
    you missed pirated copy from internet? :P
  • Will210
    Will210 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Probably standard. Sounds like its only going to cover the first 6 or 8 chapters and it's like three hours!
  • BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY
    BACONJOKESRSOFUNNY Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Probably standard. Sounds like its only going to cover the first 6 or 8 chapters and it's like three hours!
    Plus Jackson's embellishments.
  • dunlunicor
    dunlunicor Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Saw it last night at midnight in regular, with annotations from my bf the Tolkien scholar, letting me know what every reference was, and letting me know who was really boss at speaking Quenya and/or Sindarin (Cate Blanchet), who wasn't so much (everyone else) and how cool it was that they managed to eke out enough Orkish from the collected works to make full sentences. Oddly enough, it was not as obnoxious as it sounds.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    On DVD.
  • SoDamnHungry
    Options
    Saw it last night at midnight in regular, with annotations from my bf the Tolkien scholar, letting me know what every reference was, and letting me know who was really boss at speaking Quenya and/or Sindarin (Cate Blanchet), who wasn't so much (everyone else) and how cool it was that they managed to eke out enough Orkish from the collected works to make full sentences. Oddly enough, it was not as obnoxious as it sounds.

It was probably obnoxious to the other viewers who had to hear him blab through the movie.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    Going to see IMAX 3D tomorrow morning. I heard they're screen the 1st 9 minutes of the new Superman movie before The Hobbit, and I'm quite the nerd.
  • dunlunicor
    Options

It was probably obnoxious to the other viewers who had to hear him blab through the movie.

Nope. Everyone was talking through the whole thing, and unlike the rest of them, he knows how to whisper.
  • heidimaggott78
    Options
    Standard 3d coz the max in cape gown closed down and i don't know what the other option is (welcome to Africa)
  • SoDamnHungry
    Options

Nope. Everyone was talking through the whole thing, and unlike the rest of them, he knows how to whisper.

This is why I don't go to movies. Everyone in the audience talks through them. =(
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

EXACTLY the reason I didn't go last night. I don't need to hear annotations from wannabe scholars. Even whispers. And like you said, everyone was talking through the whole thing. All these people trying to make their geeky comments just to show they are the biggest fans there...newsflash: everyone there is a Tolkien geek and no one else cares.
  • dunlunicor
    Options

EXACTLY the reason I didn't go last night. I don't need to hear annotations from wannabe scholars. Even whispers. And like you said, everyone was talking through the whole thing. All these people trying to make their geeky comments just to show they are the biggest fans there...newsflash: everyone there is a Tolkien geek and no one else cares.

No, "Tolkien Scholar" as in, literature degree specifically focusing on the works of Tolkien, speaks and writes many of Tolkien's languages, and is equally put off by people running their mouths, so he talks quietly enough that the only person who is interested is the only person who can hear him. But thanks assuming he's a rude prick. That's endearing. <3
  • SoDamnHungry
    Options

No, "Tolkien Scholar" as in, literature degree specifically focusing on the works of Tolkien, speaks and writes many of Tolkien's languages, and is equally put off by people running their mouths, so he talks quietly enough that the only person who is interested is the only person who can hear him. But thanks assuming he's a rude prick. That's endearing. <3

Of course people who talk through movies think no one can hear them. Newsflash: we can. And a lot of us don't appreciate paying 10 bucks to hear someone whisper their own commentary the entire time. It's not your living room.
  • dunlunicor
    Options

Of course people who talk through movies think no one can hear them. Newsflash: we can. And a lot of us don't appreciate paying 10 bucks to hear someone whisper their own commentary the entire time. It's not your living room.

Feel free to take that up with people you find annoying when you're actually *there* to be the judge. No one picked a fight with us, so I don't see why your panties are in a bunch about it.
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    IMAX 3D - not sure if it's the HFR or not, but we don't have the ATMOS sound in the area yet. And dumb enough to go at 10:50pm Saturday night. My best friend works retail and has a huge LotR fetish, so this is her only time to go, and her Christmas gift. :P
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

If he was whispering during a premiere, he's a rude prick. Save the annotations for when you two are together at home. Not when you have other people 2 feet away that have been waiting 10 years to watch this film.