Teenagers..... give me strength

Options

Replies

• HealthyKt78
    Options

I teach high school and I have for the past 5 years and I have seen a WIDE variety of all kinds of teenagers and I can say without a doubt that 98% think they know everything. There's MANY that I love dearly.....but they still have A LOT TO LEARN.

There's NOTHING wrong with calling someone hun. It is an enderaing term.....but then again....teenagers know everything.

Actually there's been MANY times I've heard "Hun" used sarcastically as a way to insult someone and belittle them. There are plenty of things wrong with calling someone "Hun"

Not once did I say I knew everything. I actually made a point to say that my dad is usually right. That 2% of kids you teach that don't think they know everything deserve to be separated from that other 98%.That was my point. I hate when people make stereotypical comments about ANY group of people. It's like saying old people are mean and bitter (just an example). I actually have grandparents that prove the opposite.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

I teach high school and I have for the past 5 years and I have seen a WIDE variety of all kinds of teenagers and I can say without a doubt that 98% think they know everything. There's MANY that I love dearly.....but they still have A LOT TO LEARN.

There's NOTHING wrong with calling someone hun. It is an enderaing term.....but then again....teenagers know everything.

Actually there's been MANY times I've heard "Hun" used sarcastically as a way to insult someone and belittle them. There are plenty of things wrong with calling someone "Hun"

Not once did I say I knew everything. I actually made a point to say that my dad is usually right. That 2% of kids you teach that don't think they know everything deserve to be separated from that other 98%.That was my point. I hate when people make stereotypical comments about ANY group of people. It's like saying old people are mean and bitter (just an example). I actually have grandparents that prove the opposite.

I've worked with A LOT of old people too in physical therapy clinics and they are mean and bitter. :wink:
  • HealthyKt78
    Options

Hmm. I was polite in my response to you, but you're set on overreacting. Perhaps you're not as mature as I thought. I take back my "Hun".

Teenagers are not the wisest creatures on the planet, in general. If you think of yourself as an exception to that, that's great, but the teenage years are not known for being the most well thought out years. You're barely a teenager anymore, don't stress too much about a thread on a message board with a bunch of parents venting about their kids. :)

I was not overreacting. Just because I choose to stand up for a cause does not mean that I am overreacting or that I'm not mature. Maybe you don't get it because you aren't a teenager but there are many who feel the same way I do. I don't deserve to be treated as if I'm a moron just because I'm young. I don't deserve to walk into a store and have an older person look at me as if I'm some sort of hoodlum just because I'm young. Yes, that has happened to me. I know some teenagers are dramatic, think they know everything and won't listen to reason, my youngest sister is one of those people, but not everyone fits into that category. It bothers me when people make a generalization about any group of people.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options

I've worked with A LOT of old people too in physical therapy clinics and they are mean and bitter. :wink:

I know I will be. "Who's that?" "Oh, that's that old mean and bitter Brenda."
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options
    It's a physiological fact that a teenagers frontal lobe is not fully developed until they are in their early 20's. So it is IMPOSSIBLE for them to base any ideas from critical thinking and logic.....all they have is the limbic system...which is PURE emotion.....which is EXACTLY what teenagers base their entire life on. It's not the teenagers fault......it's just the way us humans were built.
  • BrendaLee
    Options

Hmm. I was polite in my response to you, but you're set on overreacting. Perhaps you're not as mature as I thought. I take back my "Hun".

Teenagers are not the wisest creatures on the planet, in general. If you think of yourself as an exception to that, that's great, but the teenage years are not known for being the most well thought out years. You're barely a teenager anymore, don't stress too much about a thread on a message board with a bunch of parents venting about their kids. :)

I was not overreacting. Just because I choose to stand up for a cause does not mean that I am overreacting or that I'm not mature. Maybe you don't get it because you aren't a teenager but there are many who feel the same way I do. I don't deserve to be treated as if I'm a moron just because I'm young. I don't deserve to walk into a store and have an older person look at me as if I'm some sort of hoodlum just because I'm young. Yes, that has happened to me. I know some teenagers are dramatic, think they know everything and won't listen to reason, my youngest sister is one of those people, but not everyone fits into that category. It bothers me when people make a generalization about any group of people.

This isn't a cause- it's a post on a message board by a frustrated parent...and not even a very serious post at that. I don't understand because I'm not a teenager? :tongue: Been there, done that.

I love teenagers. I really do. I also love cats, I love my mother and I love ice cream- all of which are great sources of frustration for me.
  • deedeehawaii
    deedeehawaii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I feel that the best advice for teenagers is, leave home now while you still know everything. :laugh:
  • HealthyKt78
    Options
    It's a physiological fact that a teenagers frontal lobe is not fully developed until they are in their early 20's. So it is IMPOSSIBLE for them to base any ideas from critical thinking and logic.....all they have is the limbic system...which is PURE emotion.....which is EXACTLY what teenagers base their entire life on. It's not the teenagers fault......it's just the way us humans were built.

Not fully developed does not mean it isn't there. If teenagers have no logic then please tell me how they are able to do any type of academic work or make any decisions at all. It is completely false to say all a teenager has is their limbic system. How on earth would one function with ONLY their emotions as you just stated. It is a LOGICAL decision not to set yourself on fire. It is a LOGICAL decision not to run out in front of a train. It takes LOGIC to be able to do trigonometry, write an analysis about a russian novel, write a complex lab report, apply for college or any of the other things most teenagers are required to do. Are you saying that all of us who made it to adulthood are just lucky to have made it this far because how could we have survived all those years with just pure emotion and no logical thought?

I'm curious as to what you teach. I really hope you aren't teaching your students that all they have to rely on is emotion. I would think as a teacher you would expect high school students, especially juniors and seniors, to be able to use critical thinking skills and logic, at the very least in their school work.
  • HealthyKt78
    Options

This isn't a cause- it's a post on a message board by a frustrated parent...and not even a very serious post at that. I don't understand because I'm not a teenager? :tongue: Been there, done that.

I love teenagers. I really do. I also love cats, I love my mother and I love ice cream- all of which are great sources of frustration for me.

The OP apologized and said he would change the title of the post if he could. I have no problem with him. You obviously don't understand. I have this discussion with my grandparents all the time about how some people will just always assume that all teenagers are bad. They hate that people do that to me. I've also spoken to many other adults who feel the same way. You're going to shut down everything I say because I'm a teenager. (Which totally proves my point by the way) Frankly, just because you're an adult doesn't mean you know everything either. No one knows everything. My goal in life is to learn something everyday. I will NEVER know everything but neither will anyone else and just because you (universal you) may be older than does not mean you are any more intelligent or any wiser than I am.

PS. This is actually something I have taken a stand on for awhile now. This may be just a post on a message board to you but the subject it pertains to is a CAUSE to me.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options

Not fully developed does not mean it isn't there. If teenagers have no logic then please tell me how they are able to do any type of academic work or make any decisions at all. It is completely false to say all a teenager has is their limbic system. How on earth would one function with ONLY their emotions as you just stated. It is a LOGICAL decision not to set yourself on fire. It is a LOGICAL decision not to run out in front of a train. It takes LOGIC to be able to do trigonometry, write an analysis about a russian novel, write a complex lab report, apply for college or any of the other things most teenagers are required to do. Are you saying that all of us who made it to adulthood are just lucky to have made it this far because how could we have survived all those years with just pure emotion and no logical thought?

I'm curious as to what you teach. I really hope you aren't teaching your students that all they have to rely on is emotion. I would think as a teacher you would expect high school students, especially juniors and seniors, to be able to use critical thinking skills and logic, at the very least in their school work.

I have no words for this because it's pointless. Teenagers will never see eye to eye with an adult because they don't have the tools to do that yet.

You don't have kids or deal with them so you don't understand what the OP was saying. He was venting......which is okay and allowed.

I was a teenager once...SO I DO UNDERSTAND......but I also understand what it means to be an adult. I know how I was at that age and if I knew then what I know now...BLAH BLAH BLAH.
  • HealthyKt78
    Options

I have no words for this because it's pointless. Teenagers will never see eye to eye with an adult because they don't have the tools to do that yet.

You don't have kids or deal with them so you don't understand what the OP was saying. He was venting......which is okay and allowed.

I was a teenager once...SO I DO UNDERSTAND......but I also understand what it means to be an adult. I know how I was at that age and if I knew then what I know now...BLAH BLAH BLAH.

Like I said countless times, I DO understand what the OP was saying. He was talking about just his daughter and only HIS daughter. The only thing that bothered me about it was the title which he has said he would change if he could. I see eye to eye with MANY adults. There are some adults out there who will never see eye to eye or listen to the reason of a teenager just because they're young. I don't know you two personally but based on the responses I've gotten from you and BrendaLee you seem to be two of those people. Now I have to go develop my frontal lobe because apparently I lack one completely otherwise I may not have enough logical thought to get out of bed and drive my car to class in the morning.

Which pedal is the break and which one is the gas and where does that darn key go again?:ohwell:
  • BrendaLee
    Options

The OP apologized and said he would change the title of the post if he could. I have no problem with him. You obviously don't understand. I have this discussion with my grandparents all the time about how some people will just always assume that all teenagers are bad. They hate that people do that to me. I've also spoken to many other adults who feel the same way. You're going to shut down everything I say because I'm a teenager. (Which totally proves my point by the way) Frankly, just because you're an adult doesn't mean you know everything either. No one knows everything. My goal in life is to learn something everyday. I will NEVER know everything but neither will anyone else and just because you (universal you) may be older than does not mean you are any more intelligent or any wiser than I am.

PS. This is actually something I have taken a stand on for awhile now. This may be just a post on a message board to you but the subject it pertains to is a CAUSE to me.

OK. You're passionate about this. Passion is a good thing, but sometimes you need to choose your battles otherwise you run the risk of coming across as a bit of an extremist. Let's put this in a different light- how many teenagers say, "Parents just don't understand (or worse)!" Probably just as many as (if not more than) the number of parents who say, "Teenagers think they know it all!". Teenagers generalize about their parents, parents generalize about their kids- it's the nature of the beast. You've lived one side of the argument, as a parent of a teen, and a person who just happens to have been a teenager at one point, I've lived both sides.

I don't think any of this needed to be debated to begin with.
    __

TIme to lock this thread? lol
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options

I don't think any of this needed to be debated to begin with.

DITTO.
  • BrendaLee
    Options
    Which pedal is the break and which one is the gas and where does that darn key go again?:ohwell:

The brake is on the left, the gas is on the right. The key goes in the ignition which is generally to the right of the steering wheel.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Options

Like I said countless times, I DO understand what the OP was saying. He was talking about just his daughter and only HIS daughter. The only thing that bothered me about it was the title which he has said he would change if he could. I see eye to eye with MANY adults. There are some adults out there who will never see eye to eye or listen to the reason of a teenager just because they're young. I don't know you two personally but based on the responses I've gotten from you and BrendaLee you seem to be two of those people. Now I have to go develop my frontal lobe because apparently I lack one completely otherwise I may not have enough logical thought to get out of bed and drive my car to class in the morning.

Now you are being a snarky with your frontal lobe comments and totally proved my point for me. Thanks doll. :drinker:

I'm going to respectfully pull outta this conversation and agree to disagree. :flowerforyou:
  • deedeehawaii
    deedeehawaii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    To the original poster, yes those teens can be a challenge. But, we've had all those "pre-teen years" to get toughened up for the job as the parent of a teen. Whew.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    My 17 year old daughter is "getting it" on her own terms. We have been eating healthy in our home for over a year now. She still has her times that she eats junk with her friends but that is less than it used to be. Now she does some exercise on her own and she said she may even go running today! This is all her own choice. I tried the nagging thing with her, but it made her feel inadequate. Now I encourage her when she does something right and try to back off when she messes up.

Your daughter knows what a healthy diet is and that she should exercise. Nagging her will not get the results that YOU want. Just as you have come to losing weight on your time, so will she. It will not happen on your timetable ( as much as you would like it to be:smile: )

Just try to set a good example through your actions and not your words.... she will notice.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    This is easy,,, very simple. Don't drive her to college. Drive her to the recruiting office.

I left home when I was 17 because my parents literally could not afford to feed me. I turned 18 in boot camp, and was given 105 pushups for my birthday.

That'll cure it,,,
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Your daughter knows what a healthy diet is and that she should exercise. Nagging her will not get the results that YOU want. Just as you have come to losing weight on your time, so will she. It will not happen on your timetable ( as much as you would like it to be:smile: )

Just try to set a good example through your actions and not your words.... she will notice.

I agree. Sometimes leading by example is a lot more helpful than anything else. Just give it some time.:smile:
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    My gosh, your daughter sounds just like me at that age, all those many years ago! I was slim in high school, 5'9" and I weighed between 135 and 140. I went to university and I actually lost weight while my friends ballooned. But then I moved out of residence and into my own apartment... the menu was pizza, beer, chicken wings, and burgers. No more beloved salad bar in sight. Even worse, the gym, which had been right across the street was now quite a hike away.

My mom tried to caution me as well, but you know, I guess it's been a lesson I've had to learn for myself. Sadly, it took me gaining over 100 pounds in the last 10 years to get there. I hope your daughter can learn from your example before she's a fat, dissatisfied thirty-year-old like me.