Increased calories=gained weight

Options
124»

Replies

• MIM49
    MIM49 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I am getting so sick of these threads. How about this. Go talk to a doctor or/and a nutritionist/dietician and see what they say. I know what they will say because I've done my research. But obviously, you need to hear it from them that trying to eat a 1000 calorie diet (unless supervised by a doctor) is not good.

Actually my MD happy to see me lose weight. I have a huge ventral hernia which needs to be repaired (picture profile of head of elephant with stubby trunk or an elephant seal and that is what the profile of my abdomen looks like) and the more weight I lose the better. With the fat I have, I am not going to starve on 1000 calories. And actually I rarely feel hungry.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I agree in eating healthy foods although I do add in some treats on occasion, just don't overdo them. I feel best on this sort of "feed";) I don't know why anyone would disagree with this either. I think to an extent at least, we "are" what we eat. I mean our bodies of course;) denise
    You know, when they say increase your calories, they mean don't eat bad food, just eat more of good food.... that way you can eat more (literally) and not really be eating anything bad or with empty calories, like chips, candies, or sugar drinks. Just saying :)

I'm a big proponent of generally eating healthy, nutrient-dense food because it's, well, healthier for us in general...

...but to this comment: No. Just no. No no no.

What do you mean, no? I just said DONT eat bad food... I am wondering if you read it wrong?
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I am getting so sick of these threads. How about this. Go talk to a doctor or/and a nutritionist/dietician and see what they say. I know what they will say because I've done my research. But obviously, you need to hear it from them that trying to eat a 1000 calorie diet (unless supervised by a doctor) is not good.

Not sure where you did your 'research', but if you actually were to talk to cardiologists, bariatric, and geriatric doctors and dieticians, then they would most all agree that 1000 cal diet for an older, obese person is perfectly acceptable. Even at 45, my cardiologist and personal physician gave me 800 as the minimum calorie level I could safely be on. So perhaps you need to expand your research a bit. You could start with the CDC website that puts 800/women, and 900/men as being able to get proper nutrients in.

If you are a healthy, active 20 or 30 year old, then of course this would not be suitable for you. But we are all not you, dear.

I am sure that the OP has cleared her calorie level with her doctor.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Again I'm amazed at the generalzation of statements without consideration to the OP herself. Contrary to popular belief, we are all different and what works for you may not work for me. I have eaten under 1000 since day one, some months way under. I have been steadily losing weight at the rate of about 13 lbs a month (with the exception of last month and this month when it has slowed down) I have lost 149 lbs in 11 months. My hair is NOT falling out, I'm NOT tired and worn out. Right now I'm not working out but it's because of my job, not because I'm tired. I have more energy than I ever have. Would you mind telling me when it's going to go bad for me? I can tell you it's not. Because eating at 800 or 900 isn't bad for you when your more than 50 lbs overweight. You can eat lower without hurting your body. I personally think even if you only have 20 lbs to lose you can eat that low and still be okay. Yes I take a vitamin and fish oil for my heart but I still eat very healthy foods. I don't encourage anyone to eat low...why should I. I do what I do for me, not for you. All you 1200 calorie or die people give me the biggest laugh at your rants about stuff I think you seriously know nothing about.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Do you really want to eat such a measly amount for the rest of your life? Why not try more than 2 weeks? Your body doesn't always respond to things in such a short period of time
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    It's going to take some time to adjust back to normal.

When drug addicts stop taking drugs, their bodies desperately fight back and they feel sick. Going back to drugs makes them cures the "sickness", but in reality, going back to drugs IS the sickness.

When very low calorie eaters start eating a higher intake, they often get adverse effects, namely weight gain initially. This is no reason to go back malnutrition.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

When drug addicts stop taking drugs, their bodies desperately fight back and they feel sick. Going back to drugs makes them cures the "sickness", but in reality, going back to drugs IS the sickness.

When very low calorie eaters start eating a higher intake, they often get adverse effects, namely weight gain initially. This is no reason to go back malnutrition.

BINGO!! We have a winner!!
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Are you intaking more salt than usual since your increased calories? That could be a reason which is just water weight. I'd also go with the above advice and give it more than 2 weeks.
  • denny119
    Options

Very well said!!
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Since you had a lower calorie amount, THIS is what has happened:

1. Your body depleted glycogen energy stores in the muscles
    2. Your body got rid of the water that stored that energy
    3. Since you upped your calories, your body was able to restore some of the glycogen stores
    4. In storing those, it had to retain more water
    5. Processing more food also requires more water

You didn't gain fat. You gained water.

Shorter people and people with less to lose have to go slower with weight loss or they do interesting things to their hormones (which will effect their daily energy expenditure greatly) more easily than those that are larger.

Totally this.
  • currierand
    currierand Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    You know, when they say increase your calories, they mean don't eat bad food, just eat more of good food.... that way you can eat more (literally) and not really be eating anything bad or with empty calories, like chips, candies, or sugar drinks. Just saying :)

I'm a big proponent of generally eating healthy, nutrient-dense food because it's, well, healthier for us in general...

How come you always say just what I am thinking? We're we separated at birth?
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Again I'm amazed at the generalzation of statements without consideration to the OP herself. Contrary to popular belief, we are all different and what works for you may not work for me. I have eaten under 1000 since day one, some months way under. I have been steadily losing weight at the rate of about 13 lbs a month (with the exception of last month and this month when it has slowed down) I have lost 149 lbs in 11 months. My hair is NOT falling out, I'm NOT tired and worn out. Right now I'm not working out but it's because of my job, not because I'm tired. I have more energy than I ever have. Would you mind telling me when it's going to go bad for me? I can tell you it's not. Because eating at 800 or 900 isn't bad for you when your more than 50 lbs overweight. You can eat lower without hurting your body. I personally think even if you only have 20 lbs to lose you can eat that low and still be okay. Yes I take a vitamin and fish oil for my heart but I still eat very healthy foods. I don't encourage anyone to eat low...why should I. I do what I do for me, not for you. All you 1200 calorie or die people give me the biggest laugh at your rants about stuff I think you seriously know nothing about.

I so agree with you, its like what do these ppl think of a person who has had Gastric Bypass. Does that mean that somehow thier organs now require less energy or does the body just say oh You've got a smaller stomach so it doesn't have to follow the same rules of biology. People with Gastric Bypass routinely eat between 700-1000 calories a day and they are not bald, not laying around on the couch faint from not eating 1500 calories a day. Thier bodies don't grab every calories they eat and horde it for fat. These people are out enjoying life, shopping, running, dating, becoming fitness enthusiasts. So how would the starvation people explain that one. I should out of full disclosure point out that these WLS people do take alot of supplements, Just like VLCD people could and might be doing.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

How come you always say just what I am thinking? We're we separated at birth?

Doubtful.

For one thing, I *always* carefully proofread every one of my MFP forum posts for misplaced apostrophes, improper homonyms, typos, and other similar problems.

:flowerforyou: