Females who take protein shake daily?

I was wondering how to go about weight loss along with protein shakes? I don't want to build muscle or bulk, I just want to loose fat and tone up... I don't gym very often at the moment, and when I do I tend to stick to cardio?

Any experiences? Any recommended shakes?

Also add me, I would like to take a look at diaries for ideas!

Replies

• kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    So why do you wna to increase your protein? I mean I'm all for it but you seem to just be grasping at staws....

Some good reason are b/c i helps you stay full longer, or it helps to rebuild muscle....

I don't do shakes right now b/c it's cold and I' just can;t force myself to do it ...but I used ot and it helped repair my muscles and tone up.

Feel free to browse my diary I have my protein set for 30% and I don;t make it every day but i do try. It keep sme full and helps tone me up.
    =)
  • Ash_ah_lee
    Ash_ah_lee Posts: 116 Member
    I drank a protein shake for breakfast and lunch... Feel free to add me :)
    GNC pro performance strawberry and cookies and cream are my fav... On sale right now 2 for 50$
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    I drink protein shakes. Chocolate ones actually satisfy the chocolate craving that helped get me to be so heavy. I use a pretty generic one from my grocery or designer whey, depending on price. Filling and keeps me from eating the junk that triggers binges.
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    um yeah, what is the need for extra protein?
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    I tend to do protein shakes or mix protein powder with almond milk on days that I've worked out hard and not gotten enough protein from food. I am not in the habit of it though as I think it's best to try to get protein from food.
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    I use protein shakes primarily on workout days (especially lifting days) to make sure I get enough protein, I try to get my fill of protein through whole sources but it can be hard so I use them to supplement.

Consuming protein and lifting weights doesn't automatically mean that you're going to bulk up. There are many, many testimonies on this site for women that lift and get smaller. I have been lifting weights for a couple months and while my weight is unchanged, I am getting smaller where I want to get smaller. If you do some research on it you will feel better about it and realize that protein is good for you.

Oh yeah, and if you want to lose fat, building some muscle will help that. You won't get bulky, unless you start juicing or eating at a surplus to make huge gains.

Hope that helps.
  • Chlo92x
    Chlo92x Posts: 168 Member
    I was doing keto/low carb for 2 months and lost a lot of weight, but started craving carbs... so I stopped, now that I am eating all bran cereals and fruit a lot more I feel better but I am struggling to keep my protein up and tend to be hungry more so that I was when eating less calories on keto?

I want to loose fat but preserve the muscle I have.... I have been told protein is the most important macro for this? But i dont work out a lot, because I don't have time.
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Sounds to me like you just want a low calorie meal replacement that's good for you. If that is the case, there are tons of whey proteins out there that would work for you. VPX makes a 105 calorie per serving that offers 20 grams of protein and it's fairly inexpensive. You can get it online at places like www.allstarhealth.com

My choice of protein is Ultimate Nutrition ISO Sensations 93. It's 130 calories but you get 30 grams of protein. It's a bit more spendy though. Ranges from $63/5lbs to about $85/5lbs depending where you can find a good deal.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    I have one every lifting day. They are a cheap and easy way to fill your macro requirement but not essential
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Keto is a fool's game...seriously, you are playing with fire.
  • Cassierocksalot
    Cassierocksalot Posts: 266 Member
    I agree, unless you're lifting weights or are low on protein in your diet, there's no reason to add protein shakes. I have one for breakfast on the days I work out. I also have a chocolate flavor that I use in small amounts when I just CAN'T beat my chocolate craving.

One thing to keep in mind when purchasing protein powder is to check the calories. The cheaper stuff tends to overload with sugar (in an attempt to add flavor I assume) and it ends up defeating the purpose. Not all cheap powders do this, and not all expensive powders don't, just a warning to keep an eye out.
  • I do a WHEY protein shake EVERY day, with an extra one right after any weight-lifting.
    It hasn't caused me to bulk up.
  • aStrongerSteph
    aStrongerSteph Posts: 161 Member
    I drink a Premier Protein Shake every morning after my workout. Low carb, low sugar and 30 grams of protein for 160 cals. It keeps me full and I just feel better since I started them.
  • NatalieFWright
    NatalieFWright Posts: 8 Member
    Chlo, I do keto, and I often drink an EAS Carb Control protein shake for breakfast. They are 1-6 g of carb, 16-20 g of protein, and 100-120 calories. They have vanilla, strawberry, chocolate, and caramel. They taste good. I recommend them to anyone.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Protein shakes alone don't make you lose fat, eating in a caloric deficit does. I highly recommend you do strength training to help improve your body composition. It sounds to me like you buy into a lot of myths floating around out there.
  • I have at least two servings of protein powder a day but I make them into pancakes instead of shakes. I just add a little baking powder, water, splenda, and one of those Duncan Hines flavor creations packets. I just cook itlike a pancake and top it with some sugar free strawberry preserves.

And don't be afraid of lifting. I've lost almost 10lbs since I started lifting and I look much better. Also it gives you an excuse to eat carbs because you need glycogen :laugh:
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    if you add me as a friend you can see my diary.
    i don't have a shake all the time just because i am too lazy to clean the blender.
    my mom drinks them all the time, she is tiny (4'10") and not anywhere near bulky lol.
    i like to do 1 scoop of nature's bounty complete protein and vitamin chocolate mix with half a banana, 1 tbsp pb or pb susitute, half cup of coconut milk half cup water and 3 ice cubes. makes about 15 ounces. very tasty.
    i do have protein powder frequently though, i put half a scoop in oatmeal and it is tasty
  • While going with the idea of consuming 30 grams of protein within 30 minutes of waking up to help control hunger, I bought a box of Premier Protein shakes from Sam's Club. I'm assuming they're at Walmart as well. Pretty inexpensive, low carb, low fat, but 30 grams of protein. Love them!
  • Protein shakes don't make you bulk up. Just include them as part of your regular daily caloric intake.

I generally do one for "breakfast" and sometimes do a half serving with a banana or some peanut butter before and or after a work out. It doesn't have to be an intense work out or some massive power lift.

Whey is a great protein source if you are not sensitive to milk (whey+ casein blends are my most recommended) . Since I am, I use an egg white protein powder (high protein low fat- Jay Robb and MRM are my favorites), hemp protein (nutiva chocolate is a fave) which has a good balance of protein, fiber and good fats. There are a few plant based blends I love too....(PlantFusion, Lifetime Life's Basics Plant Protein, Garden of Life RAW Protein are my top 3 favorites).

Most have 15-27 g of protein and help to get your protein macro up.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    I'd say only drink protein shakes if you're having trouble meeting your protein goal. I have trouble meeting mine but usually don't want to spare the calories so I only drink them on days when I work out (which is usually 5 anyway). I drink a half a cup of Silk coconut milk with a half a scoop of BSN Syntha Six (their vanilla ice cream flavor is awesome). It gives me a sugar spike after I work out which I personally need and then it's got some calories and some straight up protein to help me hit that goal for the day.