Females who take protein shake daily?

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    I was wondering how to go about weight loss along with protein shakes? I don't want to build muscle or bulk, I just want to loose fat and tone up... I don't gym very often at the moment, and when I do I tend to stick to cardio?

Any experiences? Any recommended shakes?

Also add me, I would like to take a look at diaries for ideas!

You will not bulk. If you do not want to build muscle then don't eat at a surplus. Also, unless you are resistance training it is a moot point anyway. If you want to preserve muscle while at a deficit, start resistance training.

Protein shakes are just to supplement your protein if you do not get it from food. That is all.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    How do you expect to "tone up" without weights, and by doing cardio only?
  • I read a study that looked at a group of people dieting and working out regularly. Half of them ate double the protein and it was that half that lost twice as much weight as the other group.

I don't make protein shakes but I add protein powder to milk when I drink it. I like the Aria (vanilla) brand.

Hope this helps!
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    I'm not sure if this "correct" to do... but I drink a protein shake because I don't eat a lot of protein sources such as meat or dairy. It's a way for me to get protein, and I typically drink it after working out, even if I just go for a walk and that's my exercise for the day.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    I use a protein shake to help my body to recover after strength training, to up my protein levels..and because I love the chocolate taste.
    Yum.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    I take it you didn't get the answer you wanted in the other thread you started for this?
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    I was wondering how to go about weight loss along with protein shakes? I don't want to build muscle or bulk, I just want to loose fat and tone up... I don't gym very often at the moment, and when I do I tend to stick to cardio?

You will not bulk. If you do not want to build muscle then don't eat at a surplus. Also, unless you are resistance training it is a moot point anyway. If you want to preserve muscle while at a deficit, start resistance training.

Protein shakes are just to supplement your protein if you do not get it from food. That is all.
    Brilliant answer....
  • Chlo92x
    Chlo92x Posts: 168 Member
    thanks everyone, I am getting a lot of mixed opinions, I think I will start protein shakes on days that I go to the gym/don't have time for cereal for breakfast as a high protein start to the day to keep me going until lunch time...

I am just struggling with cereal every day for breakfast which hasn't got a lot of protein in, then eating a lot of fruit throughout the day... My carbs are sky high and my protein goal hasn't been reached?

I would probably use it as a meal replacement on busy days. I intend to start working out more, Might start weight training to tone up as I have 6 weeks off university, of free time to knuckle down!

i would love some advice off girls who weight lift/do protein shakes that aren't bulking, but loosing weight?
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member

i would love some advice off girls who weight lift/do protein shakes that aren't bulking, but loosing weight?

EVERY girl who lifts/does protein shakes and is EATING IN A DEFICIT, is NOT bulking.

Try the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women" if you'd like to learn more, its on Amazon.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    I don't drink one every day, but I do on workout days. I do eat 2 protein bars a day for snacks. If you want to get lean, then you have to lift. By virtue of being a woman, your body does not produce the hormones to produce bulk.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member

EVERY girl who lifts/does protein shakes and is EATING IN A DEFICIT, is NOT bulking.

Try the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women" if you'd like to learn more, its on Amazon.

This. ^^
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member

EVERY girl who lifst/does protein shakes and is EATING IN A DEFICIT, is NOT bulking.

:sad: :sad: Oh my goodness.....lifting while eating at a deficit will not bulk girls who don't use steroids......Stop this, please?????
  • LoveAlwaysAlisa
    LoveAlwaysAlisa Posts: 111 Member
    I never used protein shakes either because I was afraid of bulking up and didn't see the point in them until i started doing the INSANITY program. I would get SOOOO sore i could barely walk. I started using the GMC Amplified Recovery Protein XR and noticed a HUGE difference in my muscle soreness. The protein shakes will help your muscles recover faster after being worked intensely. Even if your goal is just to burn fat I would highly recommend adding strength training to your workouts...it will help you burn fat faster because it requires a higher calorie burn to build and maintain muscle. Just look for a lower calorie protein shake. I only use half of what the GMC one asks to use since 260 is alot of calories to me!! LOL Good Luck! ♥
  • eatathome
    eatathome Posts: 81 Member
    I only drink them if I am not hungry enough to eat or don't have time to make/eat a proper breakfast.
    How do you expect to "tone up" without weights, and by doing cardio only?

I wish I had pictures of my legs/abs when I was doing regular marathons and bike racing. I did do some ab work (mostly with an exercise ball, but some weights), but my legs were all from cycling/running. Yes, I realize though that the average person doing cardio workouts isn't putting in that kind of mileage, but I don't know why people get the idea that people don't build lean muscle when performing cardio exercise.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    thanks everyone, I am getting a lot of mixed opinions, I think I will start protein shakes on days that I go to the gym/don't have time for cereal for breakfast as a high protein start to the day to keep me going until lunch time...

I am just struggling with cereal every day for breakfast which hasn't got a lot of protein in, then eating a lot of fruit throughout the day... My carbs are sky high and my protein goal hasn't been reached?

I would probably use it as a meal replacement on busy days. I intend to start working out more, Might start weight training to tone up as I have 6 weeks off university, of free time to knuckle down!

If we are losing weight we aren't bulking.
  • Naybelline
    Naybelline Posts: 407 Member
    Are most of these brands over seas? anyone recommend some in the UK please?
  • shellonthebeach
    shellonthebeach Posts: 29 Member
    i use natrade total soy from sam's club. it's $20 bucks for 22 serving. i blend with a fruit and it keeps the hunger cravings at bay until about 11
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Are most of these brands over seas? anyone recommend some in the UK please?

Matrix Nutrition, online ebay or their own website, nice tasting and good value and high protein...UK based protein powder user here... : )
  • Chlo92x
    Chlo92x Posts: 168 Member
    Sorry if some of you find this post silly but I literally have no knowledge of weight lifting, my initial thoughts were that heavy weights resulted in fat turning to muscle.

If you are going to be negative please don't bother replying, I am just looking for advice from people who want to help out. Thanks everyone for your advice, I am doing some research on strength training at the moment :smile:
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member

If your goal is to tone up and lose fat, than you want to lift some weights. You will not bulk up unless you are lifting (and eating) very heavy. Cardio is only going to get you the "skinny fat"...weights get you toned and lose the fat.