When is it 'safe' to get rid of clothes that sre too big?

Options
I haven't lost a lot of weight but from exercising have gone from a Woman's 20 to a Misses 20. Do you hang your old sizes or chuck em with confidence? I am still wearing some of the Woman's 20's and my husband liked to make fun of my 'clown' pants :) I don't want to spend $$$ on sizes I don't plan to stay in long. Thoughts?

Replies

• lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I get rid of stuff as soon as it's big enough to be comical. I do have a few things I keep around for TOM since I gain seven freaking pounds of water bloat.

Goodwill and the Salvation Army have been my BFFs lately. I buy new jeans at Lane Bryant since they fit the best, but I've been getting all of my sweaters and tops from thrift stores and clearance sales. Luckily, I stay in the same size top for a while since my butt is the last area I lose weight. :-P
  • _TEMPEST_
    Options
    I chuck them. I seriously don't want to go back to a size 20 when I am down to a size 10 now. Besides, if my jeans start to get tight, I know it's time to put in a little extra effort because I don't have larger ones to fall back on!
  • MrsBHobbs
    Options
    Get rid of them! Say goodbye to those baggy clothes!
  • kel665
    kel665 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Mine are getting baggy now and I plan to chuck them as soon as I am down to the next size. I will keep (I think) one pair of pants and one top that I wear all the time just to remind myself of the size I was but the rest will be going, I have no plans to put this weight back on! :)
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I wait until I've dropped 2-3 sizes - but I try to have at least one outfit that fits right at all times. I'm way to cheap to do otherwise - even at thrift shop prices.
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I chuck them. I seriously don't want to go back to a size 20 when I am down to a size 10 now. Besides, if my jeans start to get tight, I know it's time to put in a little extra effort because I don't have larger ones to fall back on!

This too. If my clothes start getting tight, I don't want to just grab a bigger pair of pants. It'll serve as a reminder to get back on course.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    When they are too big ditch them... I just got rid of one that would fall off me even buttoned..
  • traynorj82
    traynorj82 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I have been getting rid of them. I did keep one pair of pants to hold up to my body once the weight is gone, but that is it. I never want to return to old large self.
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I give them to charity
  • JulieB_MN
    JulieB_MN Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I just went through that! Last weekend I boxed up several boxes of tops, sweaters, and pants that are way too big. Some I took in and now they are too big too. I don't want them around as I don't want to ever grow back into them. I am down several sizes now and am excited to buy new clothes. I don't have to shop in the plus size departments anymore and I am soooo happy!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options

This too. If my clothes start getting tight, I don't want to just grab a bigger pair of pants. It'll serve as a reminder to get back on course.
  • MavenMassage505
    Options
    Hey,
    Be proud of your accomplishments as they come. Donate those clothes you no longer fit in correctly and save $$$; buy something from a 2nd hand store that will compliment your new figure. OWN IT GIRL and look great it will make you feel great. Don't fear your new improved waistline. Embrace it.

MavenMassage505
  • Emmadennewitz
    Emmadennewitz Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I donated all of my old clothes that no longer fit once I went down 3 sized that was a year an a half ago and I'm have yet to
    gain any weight back. My motivation is not wanting to wear the larger sizes again
  • CandaceHoweth91
    Options
    I dump them soon as they are too big! I don't want myself to think that it is okay to go back! (:
  • BSBgirl337
    BSBgirl337 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I personally would keep them. I consider myself cheap, and wear pants and stuff until there's a hole in them! :) I keep my skinny clothes, even though they don't fit right now. So, why get rid of the fatter ones? Not to mention, they're good to look at when you're craving a cupcake. Not to mention, who knows what's down the road? Pregnancy, etc, you might be happy you still have them...
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I dump them soon as they are too big! I don't want myself to think that it is okay to go back! (:

This.

Gotta keep on keepin on :smile:
  • Starla_
    Starla_ Posts: 349
    Options
    When is it safe?

When I know I never want to be able to fit into them again. So as soon as they are too loose :). I've freecycled 4 wardrobes worth of clothes over a year and it felt great.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I have kept one pair of jeans and my largest shirt...I have donated my stuff to the less fortunate. I know many of the mentally handicapped are always going to be heavy and they don't have money for clothes. So I give my clothes to them.
  • domsmoms
    domsmoms Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I just got rid of my one pair of size 16 and several pairs of size 14s. I've been out of them for 5 months and am not planning on going back, so while I was doing a little closet cleaning, out they went. My size 12s have now also been too big for a few months... but for some reason, I'm hanging onto them... insecurity about maintaining maybe? Anyway, I'm wearing 10s now and they're actually starting to get a little loose... I'm pretty sure I could fit into an 8 at this point and plan to find out when shopping this weekend. If I can fit into an 8 now, I'll probably get rid of the 12s.

So in other words, for no easily defined reason, I hang on to the size I've just outgrown. I do think it would probably be wise to get rid of the big clothes faster than not. Otherwise, it kind of feels like you're expecting to gain back.
  • KatieSChaisemom
    KatieSChaisemom Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    if you are creative redo your old clothes for example make a pair of dress pants into a nice skirt. or take in your old shirts if they are nice. If it's just t-shirts and jeans chunk them.