When is it 'safe' to get rid of clothes that sre too big?

Options
2»

Replies

• cheshire29
    Options
    Like a few others said I get rid of clothes that are two sizes too big as I never plan to go back to bring that big, even when I'm pregnant. I started as a 16/18 and am not a 12 so everything that was an XL, 16, or 18 is long gone. I actually look forward to bringing it to good will! I may keep a few things in the 10/12/L range just in case they could come in handy when I am pregnant (probably just tops and dress clothes). Switching sizes has been the most exciting part for me so far!
  • AckieJ
    AckieJ Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I chuck them. I seriously don't want to go back to a size 20 when I am down to a size 10 now. Besides, if my jeans start to get tight, I know it's time to put in a little extra effort because I don't have larger ones to fall back on!

Good point! And gratz on the 20 to 10!!!
  • CandaceHoweth91
    Options
    I personally would keep them. I consider myself cheap, and wear pants and stuff until there's a hole in them! :) I keep my skinny clothes, even though they don't fit right now. So, why get rid of the fatter ones? Not to mention, they're good to look at when you're craving a cupcake. Not to mention, who knows what's down the road? Pregnancy, etc, you might be happy you still have them...

The only reason I say no to this, and it is a personal choice, is that I don't want baggage in my life. If it comes to being pregnant then I will go to ross or goodwill and get some cheap temporary clothes. I don't need clutter. Even my clothes that are too small now, I have gotten rid of them because I don't want to be that person either. i want to be the new me, not the me I was 3 years ago. i have grown and changed physically and mentally and my clothes need to change with me (: No disrespect or anything though, your reason makes total sense and it is money saving, it's just not for me.
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    A tiny bit Off Topic, but there are groups on MFP that do clothing swaps...
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    i would say yes!! because if you keep them you have it in the back of your head that you might get bigger again and that you'll have something to wear. if you fall off the bandwagon and your pants get tighter then you know its time to get your a*s back in gear because you dont have any bigger pants! i get rid of clothes as soon as there fallin off my as*.
  • AckieJ
    AckieJ Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    A tiny bit Off Topic, but there are groups on MFP that do clothing swaps...

I need to look into this.
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I'm giving them away. I'm sad about some of the pretty dresses, but it's got to be done. Ecstatic about none of my linen trousers from the summer fitting anymore. On a related note, I'm also buying new stuff slightly too small - it's motivating to see them fit well a couple of months later (hopefully from me shrinking rather than the clothes stretching - haha) and also I won't have to buy new clothes quite so soon...
  • tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    When you have clothes to replace them....can't have you running around naked. ha ha I have that problem right now because most of my clothes are way too big now...like tents. Dresses and shirts I can fake and some pants have belt loops so I can cheat and make them stay on (but I feel like I am flapping in the wind in some of them!!) but I have a bunch of pants and skirts that I can't belt and they are just falling off. I have one pair of jeans and one skirt (recent purchases from GW) that actually fit for the moment. But I don't want to break the bank on a new wardrobe until I get to my destination....don't have that kind of money. So I make do until I have clothes to replace them, although a few things, I'd really like to have tailored to my new size if I can ever afford it.
  • mambagirl
    mambagirl Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I toss them as soon as they start to look sloppy.I plan on shopping my own closet because I have sizes from 12-24 and I'll buy new items as needed from a discount store until I'm at goal.
  • CarlieeBear
    CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I wait until I've dropped 2-3 sizes - but I try to have at least one outfit that fits right at all times. I'm way to cheap to do otherwise - even at thrift shop prices.

This is my plan. I already have clothes I've hardly gotten to wear and now they're baggy. I even have a couple nice dresses I haven't worn...thankfully they were snug when I bought them so the still look good. I'm fitting back into my old clothes I wasn't able to wear for at least the last year, so don't feel like I want to spend money on new clothes.
  • lovelyladyJ21
    lovelyladyJ21 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I plan to get rid of them as soon as I can fit comfortably into a size smaller. I might keep one pair because like someone posted previously I gain about 5-10 lbs of water weight when my TOM comes around....