Anti-depressants and weight loss?

Options
13»

Replies

• Jamie_55
    Jamie_55 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm on Citalopram and can't complain. Before I went on them I was angry all the time, didn't want to do anything and was an emotional eater on top of it. Here I am now, having gained 70 lbs. I'm on a low dose and it makes me feel like me again.

Honestly I think that you should look at the different types of antidepressants and then you can talk to your doctor about it when you go in. Different ones help in different ways and affect your body differently. Mine's a serotonin receptor uptake inhibitor. Basically it keeps the happy serotonin in my brain in greater quantities. No side effects here, but I'm not everyone. = )

Another thing that I did when I started them was to google them and troll some forums to see what other people experienced with them. It helped to let me know what to expect from my body so that I was prepared to deal with it,

Good Luck
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I have taken a few things, and haven't found weight gain to be a problem. I don't take them anymore; I seem to be extremely sensitive to side effects. I'm sure it doesn't help that I'm actually more afraid of the drugs than I am of feeling bad.

Someone I know told me that she lost weight after starting Lexapro. And I seem to remember losing some when I started Welbutrin.

I think that you'll do fine, since you're already aware of the weight gain risk.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Your mental health is more important. Feeling anxious can keep you from doing the things you need to do to get healthy.
  • meistergrigsby
    Options
    I've been on Wellbutrin for over a year now and I haven't noticed an impact on my weight. I tend to not eat when my depression is bad, which slows down metabolism, so I really don't know. I do think taking care of your mental health is just as important as physical health. They go hand in hand.

I was recommended Wellbutrin because it has a slight stimulant in it to give you more energy. And more energy could result in more calories burned. Good Luck