Dads: If your daughter wanted a toy truck?

Options

Replies

• Tat2dDom0105
    Options
    I'd have ZERO problems with doing that. In fact i'd buy her this one......

51Y7L9QG9KL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
  • 2FattyXFatty4
    2FattyXFatty4 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    boygirls2_zps9565a65d.jpg
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    Also not a dad...but I've let my kids (boys and girls) play with whatever toys they wanted. At times they all played with "boy" toys and at other times they all played with "girl" toys.

Yep! I'm a terrible mother....I allowed my kids to simply be kids.
  • mwilke
    mwilke Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I'm not a dad, but am a step mom to a super cool little man. IF he wanted to play with "girl" toys- I would have no problem with that. I love him for being him.

If I have girls, one day- you can better believe that I will buy them toy trucks! I want them to be like their momma (who drives a truck). I want them to want to grow up and be firefighters, EMS, or police. I want them to think for themselves and not be afraid to be who they are. I don't want society to label them or judge them...
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm not a dad. Or have a daughter. Or have any kids. Or have any intention of having kids anytime soon. BUT my opinion is that ....
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    as a daughter who used to play videogames and with trucks (and one that has a motorcycle and fixes cars too), I'd say yes. :)

encourage her to do whatever she likes! trust me on this. I'm an engineer. ;)
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    When I was 10, I asked for a Scalextric for Christmas, but my mum decided to get me a Cindy doll instead :sad:
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    I'm a mom and I have a little boy and a little girl. they play with each other toys all the time. I have never understood what the big deal is supposed to be. I remember my little brother was the only boy with 3 sisters and he played with girlie stuff all the time. He also grew up to be a huge player cause he understood how women work lol
  • emzilee
    emzilee Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Of course.

When I was about 8 I asked for an RC car for Christmas - 15 years later and RC racing is still a regular hobby for my father and I. I love my daddy-daughter time!

A toy is a toy.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    I'm a mom and I have a little boy and a little girl. they play with each other toys all the time. I have never understood what the big deal is supposed to be. I remember my little brother was the only boy with 3 sisters and he played with girlie stuff all the time. He also grew up to be a huge player cause he understood how women work lol

I know right? If "girly stuff" made you gay, every younger brother who had an older sister would be gay. Lol
  • rousehouse
    rousehouse Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Of course. My daughter is getting a batmobile.
  • Kate1368
    Kate1368 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Why not? My brother and I both played with trucks and dolls when we were growing up. We have both become productive, well-adjusted adults. Mostly. :)
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Toys don't define sexual orientation. They boost creativity and imagination. So yes, boys can play with dolls and girls can play with trucks.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    Of course. My daughter is getting a batmobile.

Is adoption to your family an option? I want one too! Lucky girl.
  • myrestlessfeet
    myrestlessfeet Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Not a dad. I was raised by a single mum and I remembered clearly that growing up I never had toys for little girls. I used to play with miniature trucks, race cars and toy trains. I turned up alright and well adjusted just not too girly though.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I'm not a man, but my kids could have whatever toy they wanted, regardless of if it's "supposed" to be for one gender or the other. Rigid gender roles hurt EVERYONE.

I have two sons. My older son has always been very sensitive and emotional, and that has totally been OK with me. In the past he has played dressup with younger girls, wearing tiaras and lace gloves and having tea parties. He had a play kitchen when he was 2 that was his FAVORITE. He had a MyBuddy doll. He also had trucks and cars and turned everything into a sword or a gun.

He is 19 now, LOVES to cook (he made dinner last night actually, and has made cheesecakes from scratch - you are jealous lol) and sew and draw, and also is in college to be a video game designer. Oh, and he is certainly not gay in any way (although who really cares? I already told him that is he came to me and said he was gay, all I would do was ask to meet his boyfriend. ffs), but he IS very nurturing and caring about other people's feelings, and as far as I am concerned, there isn't anything at all wrong with that, in fact, the world could use a lot more of that.

Let your kids play with what they want to. TOYS will not change who they are. FORCING them to be what they are not WILL change how they express who they are, most likely by repressing the real them to gain approval from others. And that's just sad...
  • ronitabur
    ronitabur Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    OK, to those of you who are aftraid of your little girl becoming a lesbian...

I played Batman and Robin, cowboys and indians, etc... with my neighbor friend. Her and I would always fight about who'd get to be Batman or the cowboy. I rode horses and motorcycles. I played baseball in little league with boys (was the first girl to play in little league in 1976 in the city I lived in and there was a HUGE controversy over whether or not I had to wear a cup becuase the rules said, "All players must wear a cup".) I later ran in cross country and did weight training with the football team at my highschool. Today I participate in StrongMan training and Muay Thai (kickboxing). Most jobs that I have held have been male predominated and I find that I prefer to work with men. I can say, that if I had been better at school, I would've been one of those women who broke through the glass ceiling because I know how to "play with the guys". I understand men and enjoy being around them. But I am definately all girl. Most of the time, I like to wear jeans and be casual, but I love to dress like a woman in skirts and heels and pretty clothes and I paint my nails and put on makeup. I am heterosexual and have been faithfully married to my husband for 23 years.

Fathers, if you want your girl to have the option to grow up sucessful and happy with whatever career she chooses, she will need to learn how to get along and understand boys/men. Buy her all kinds of toys and let her play with the boys. She will be a better person for it.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I know right? If "girly stuff" made you gay, every younger brother who had an older sister would be gay. Lol

^^ This, everyone is gay.

15901930.jpg
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Vrooom
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I always played with trucks. Why didn't anyone tell me I was gay before now? You let me waste my time with dudes!
    Thanks for nothing!