Dads: If your daughter wanted a toy truck?

Options

Replies

• billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I always played with trucks. Why didn't anyone tell me I was gay before now? You let me waste my time with dudes!
    Thanks for nothing!

Maybe your bi?
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    My daughter plays with all the trucks and gi-joes in the house, while wearing pink frou-frou girly things. I'm not worried about balance, LOL!
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    5th birthday crf 50 6th birthday redline bmx bike...single day raising a little girl since two whatever make her who she wants to be !
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Toys are used to help fuel the imagination when little, so any toy is appropriate for any child.

The real issues arise when the child is denied certain toys because adults see them as inappropriate for that child's sex. They sometimes grow up resenting that and can lead to issues later.

What if barbie needs to move a bed? She needs a truck!

What if the Prince needs to save a Princess from some bad guy action figure? Then either he needs a Princess doll, or you get the amusement of your toddler son explaining why GI Joe is in a sparkly dress and heels (hopefully matching at least).
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    OK, to those of you who are aftraid of your little girl becoming a lesbian...

I played Batman and Robin, cowboys and indians, etc... with my neighbor friend. Her and I would always fight about who'd get to be Batman or the cowboy. I rode horses and motorcycles. I played baseball in little league with boys (was the first girl to play in little league in 1976 in the city I lived in and there was a HUGE controversy over whether or not I had to wear a cup becuase the rules said, "All players must wear a cup".) I later ran in cross country and did weight training with the football team at my highschool. Today I participate in StrongMan training and Muay Thai (kickboxing). Most jobs that I have held have been male predominated and I find that I prefer to work with men. I can say, that if I had been better at school, I would've been one of those women who broke through the glass ceiling because I know how to "play with the guys". I understand men and enjoy being around them. But I am definately all girl. Most of the time, I like to wear jeans and be casual, but I love to dress like a woman in skirts and heels and pretty clothes and I paint my nails and put on makeup. I am heterosexual and have been faithfully married to my husband for 23 years.

Fathers, if you want your girl to have the option to grow up sucessful and happy with whatever career she chooses, she will need to learn how to get along and understand boys/men. Buy her all kinds of toys and let her play with the boys. She will be a better person for it.

^^Agreed

I too, hung out with all my boy cousins, climbed trees, fences..played rough, fought, played with hot wheels,/matchbox cars..and I was normally the leader of the raucous bunch....my dolls collected dust as I preferred legos and racetracks..I'm as girly as it gets..know what I want, attain it and not worry about people's criticism..they can either love me or hate me..and that my dear friends Is why I have "many"friends..

Boys/girls will be independent only if u let them...u choose their thinking patterns for them...and they will never be able think clearly for themselves..love them for them...children are young once...they grow up quickly.

For another point: my daughter "who is now 20" was also a ruffian, now is the most girliest girl around..loves wearing dresses, make-up, girly sprays, although she can give look to the neighbourhood boys and scare em still..makes me laugh..she also has had a boyfriend for 4 years and played spots for many years..

My "18 year old boys" who my daughter dressed in her girly clothes, do the craziest boy stuff imaginable...one is into mechanics, one is on the varsity basketball team & coaches basketball, as well...both have girl friends.

Now I have a 5 year old...loves cars and baking ;-)

What can I say...I'm a proud Mama :blushing:
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    All these women who don't even realize that they're gay ... That's the true tragedy here.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    All these women who don't even realize that they're gay ... That's the true tragedy here.

tumblr_lxv6abCWZ01ql111oo1_500.gif
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    make sure it is blue!!!
  • Tamefearnua
    Options
    No problem, as long as she wears her dress while playing.
  • bethf1977
    Options
    My daughter has a ton of action figures and every episode of dragonball (original, z, and gt) ever made, she takes karate instead of dance, she will come in from outside covered in mud, grinning from ear to ear. We encourage her to be her own person. My son is currently wearing a pair of dora pajamas (he is 2), has a kitchen, and enjoys playing with his sisters old baby dolls AND her old cars.

I worked in my church nursery for several years, i learned that kids all love different toys, girls play with cars and boys play with dolls and ALL children love playing kitchen. Just let them be who they are.
  • Tamefearnua
    Options
    My daughter has a ton of action figures and every episode of dragonball (original, z, and gt) ever made, she takes karate instead of dance, she will come in from outside covered in mud, grinning from ear to ear. We encourage her to be her own person. My son is currently wearing a pair of dora pajamas (he is 2), has a kitchen, and enjoys playing with his sisters old baby dolls AND her old cars.

I worked in my church nursery for several years, i learned that kids all love different toys, girls play with cars and boys play with dolls and ALL children love playing kitchen. Just let them be who they are.
    Well my daughter also takes Karate and Judo while still wearing her dress
    We encourage her to be her own person.
    We encourage her to keep her dress clean
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Dads: If your daughter wanted a toy truck ... Would you get one for her?

Am not a dad or a parent, but my goddaughter was constantly in tears over her desire to drive her older brother's electric racing car 3 years ago, so I bought her an electric jeep for Christmas. I most certainly did not select girl friendly colours because I believe that being too girly can be just as damaging. It's just a colour. It is just a toy. My choice was influenced by my desire to give her something of her own, something that looked real and that she could use for a very long time.

Now when her dad works on his classics every weekend, she cleans and accessorises her jeep. Granted, all her 'babies' (stuffed toy dogs - all sizes) are there too for the duration. :smile:

** My sister bought her an electric 4 wheel bike. She had a big brother who refused to share. He would hit her if she remotely got within close proximity to his toys. Years later now, he likes her toy vehicles and SHE SHARES. To reward his sister for allowing him to use it, with his friends even, he sits at her weekly tea parties with her stuffed dogs. He even helps her bake the goodies for it. When he has swim meets or a slumber sleepover meaning he'll miss it, he feels really torn about it.

Separatist and segregational ideals harboured by adults affects and influences children, not some toy.
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Sure. Why not?

You can't seriously believe buying your daughter a toy truck is going to sway her sexual orientation one way or the other, can you? Because that's pretty ridiculous.

I have two daughters and have purchased both of them toy trucks in the past. Both appear to still be heading down the heterosexual path if that helps ease your mind.

My goodness.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    My 19 month old daughter loves cars, trucks, duplo, jumping, climbing etc. She also likes her toy doll and pram. My 3.5 year old son loves the same toys as my daughter. Kids are kids, who cares what they play with so long as it isn't dangerous!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    She has asked for toy helicopters and toy cars... She has gotten both... Now, a cell phone? That is a different matter.
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    boygirls2_zps9565a65d.jpg

Love this!

Play time is about imagination, creativity, exploration, socialization, enjoyment, and learning, among many other things. In a perfect world, there should be no social stigma attached to it. Unfortunately, there is. Changing people's opinions/biases has to start somewhere, so why not right now with this generation?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Sure. Why not?

You can't seriously believe buying your daughter a toy truck is going to sway her sexual orientation one way or the other, can you? Because that's pretty ridiculous.

I have two daughters and have purchased both of them toy trucks in the past. Both appear to still be heading down the heterosexual path if that helps ease your mind.

My goodness.

I agree with you. For the record, this thread was created in response to a similar thread asking if dads would buy a doll for their son. Please do not infer my position because I made this thread.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I had a toy cars and tools as a little girl! It didn't turn me gay but I'm an engineer now :laugh:
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    OMG NO! Get my little princess a truck? Next thing you know she'll be wanting to wear plaid and cut down trees with an axe...

I think you'd have more to worry about if she wanted to chop down trees in plaid. What if its a plaid skirt?

Schoolgirl_plaid_skirt-Brown_mini.jpg.w300h348-258x300.jpg
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I would buy the truck for a daughter, but no dolls for sons. Only action figures.

(Someone always takes me seriously, so to clarify, dolls=action figures.)