everyone ready for the end of the world?

Options
124»

Replies

• kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I am prepared. I have a shot glass and stole's vanilla vodka.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    oh it won't end, and if you think it's going to I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

I'm not going out that day because people are freaking insane enough as it is and I don't need to die because of other peoples stupidity (psychosis).
  • Serenstar75
    Serenstar75 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I can't reiterate enough that I don't actually believe that anything will occur.

However, I did ask for Thursday and Friday off from work. Namely because I work in tech support and I can only imagine the large amount of stupid I would have to deal with on "doomsday". But also because if I'm wrong I don't want to think I have to be at work the night before.

I'll be off as well, similar reason! :) It's also supposed to be our potluck and Christmas party, but I'm okay with not being there.
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Good thing I bought my "Safety Rock"...you should get one!

http://youtu.be/FTel7-ZUaL0
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I'm ready, but, according to the Bible, a lot of things have to happen first. Bring it on!
  • Iron_warrior33
    Options
    Does this mean I can have cake on the 20th and no one can judge me? Don't want to die knowing I could have had that slice of cake.:laugh:
    You can have a piece of my birthday cake. It will be triple chocolate. My birthday it the 20th, and it would suck to be 33 only for a day. On the other hand, if the world does end, it would be better than a psychic that told me I would die at the age of 33 of a heart attack. However, most people don't know that the whole prediction of the world ending on Dec. 20, 2012 NEVER came from the Mayans, but from two fiction authors who wrote books about predictions while high on shrooms, all the way back in the 60s. They figured that if they both wrote about it then people would actually believe it.Back in 1966, author Michael D. Coe suggested that if the Mayans thought that the start of their Long Count calendar in 3114 BC represented the creation, did they think that the end of the world would come when the calendar reached its end in 2012? In fact, the calendar doesn’t actually end, it clicks over to a new period. Other authors, such as Frank Waters and Jose Arguelles jumped on the disaster bandwagon in later books, despite the fact that scholars studying Mayan inscriptions can find no evidence that the Maya themselves believed that the end of the world would take place.
    It really took off after the failed doomsday of 2000, when all the crackpots started looking for a new date for their doomsday predictions. Then there was the failure of Planet X to arrive in 2003. Just postpone it until 2012. Easy to do when you’re talking about an imaginary object.
    The result is the biggest load of garbage imaginable all heaped by assorted frauds and cranks on to one date. Not a single scrap of this has any scientific evidence behind it and hasn’t the remotest chance of taking place.
  • love22step
    Options
    The world ending would certainly be easier to swallow than those looming tax hikes and fiscal cliff were about to go off here in the USA. That will truly be apocolyptic... globally..

Look at you trying to worry about actual problems- get out of here, you lunatic!

That wasn't nice. So, we should worry about things we don't think will happen? Mike could be right, and maybe we need to be concerned about real life. Stepping off the cliff could be a step in the direction of the coming global government--the beginning of the real end. We'll find out soon enough.
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Then there was the failure of Planet X to arrive in 2003.
    The obvious explanation is that the Xists didn't arrive on that date because our calendar is off and it's not actually the year we think it is.
    That wasn't nice. So, we should worry about things we don't think will happen? Mike could be right, and maybe we need to be concerned about real life. Stepping off the cliff could be a step in the direction of the coming global government--the beginning of the real end. We'll find out soon enough.
    I think the person you quoted was employing this new subversive technique known as sarcasm :)
  • love22step
    Options
    I think the person you quoted was employing this new subversive technique known as sarcasm :)
    [/quote]

I hope you're right. Sarcasm has been around a while. I probably misjudged Jenny.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    NOOOOOO :noway:

Lemme get married first and have kids

I can mail you the kids, do you reimburse postage?
    Only if the kids are well behaved enough :laugh:
    Options
    No!!! I still haven't found the perfect outfit :(
    And I have yet to reach 17% body fat and see a 24 inch waist line reading on the measuring tape :sad:
    Options
    Just to add... The Mayans, Aztecs, and all other ancient cultures that mentioned 2012 never implied anything about the world ending.

Just wanted to put that out there cuz Im a bit of an ancient culture nerd.

On behalf of my Mexican side (and part-Aztec at that), I certainly agree to this. I have one Mexican friend who is of pure Aztec descent and I never once heard from him about the world coming to an end.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    It's just the end of the Mayan calendar, not the end of the world.

But whatever. If it happens I likely won't know the difference anyway.
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    The world ending would certainly be easier to swallow than those looming tax hikes and fiscal cliff were about to go off here in the USA. That will truly be apocolyptic... globally..

Look at you trying to worry about actual problems- get out of here, you lunatic!

Wow. I know sarcasm is difficult to detect through text, but I really thought that one was really flippin' obvious. I'm sorry about being such a meanie.

(That last bit was sarcasm)