Pasta replacements

2»

Replies

• hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    spaghetti squash tastes nothing like pasta. but it really is delicious. and you can put pasta toppings on it. so if you love sauce, or butter and garlic, pesto, anything really, you can put it on and it's only... 35 calories a cup I think?

I also love shiratake noodles (tofu noodles) and they're a lot like pasta if you drain/cook them the right way. I put them in soup and with vegetables. and the first time I made them, I didn't even tell my boyfriend what they were and he didn't even ask/say anything.
  • ScarlettVamp
    ScarlettVamp Posts: 828 Member
    ****aki (sp?) mushroom noodles got it at sprouts store. worked well I mixed it with some of my regular pasta and pasta sauce. Advised I could freeze it but it changed the texture so don't freeze.

I tried the shiritaki noodles and found that they work best if you use tomato sauce plus a wedge of laughing cow cheese mixed in. At first I thought I could get past the texture and eat them in place of pasta, but I just couldn't. Now I prefer to eat regular pasta in moderation. Having angel hair tonight as a matter of fact!
  • CelebrateLife
    CelebrateLife Posts: 247 Member
    Shirataki Noodles (spaghetti fettucini macaroni angel hair..)
    40 calories per package .... Absolutely great for pasta and rice substitutes

Has an authentic scent --Soak and rinse well
  • My family is Italian, and I couldn't imagine going without pasta!

If you measure your pasta, you would be amazed at how much is actually in one serving. It almost completely fills your plate! So, like other posters have said, there is no need to eliminate pasta from your diet. Just eat in moderation, add lots of vegetables and use a healthy tomato-based sauce (try to stay away from cream sauces or butter), and you will be just fine!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,140 Member
    Nothing replaces good ol pasta......Italy is around 8% obesity, no low carb diets there.