coffee

Options
just wondering if any of you coffee drinkers log it as a cup of water.

i dont have a problem getting in my 8 cups a day but wondering if i should start counting every cup of joe as another cup of water

just curious if anyone is doing this or not

Replies

• bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Well, technically, it is liquid, but it's also a diuretic that dehydrates you because it makes you pee so much, so if the point of water is to hydrate, it's not that.

Some people do, but no. Don't log coffee. I'd consider having an extra cup of water for every cup of coffee you have...for me, I find myself very dehydrated, especially if I'm working out.
  • breeZrizi
    breeZrizi Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    most days i'll have a cup for two. it's the ONLY thing that keeps me going at work lol

i have never logged it as water but just wondered if anyone else has. i guess its best to keep it separate. not a big juice or soda drinker thank goodness. either water or coffee for me
  • xprettyreckless
    xprettyreckless Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    ehh.. I wouldn't log it in as water.. like bms said, it dehydrates you a lot!
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

Incorrect.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options

Mayo Clinic would disagree with you.
    Obviously you can count what you wish but your body will count it as water.
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    it counts
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    It counts. It *is* a natural diuretic and laxative. But the amount of fluid going in is benificial and healthy, the amount of fluid going out is normal and also healthy. It isn't going to tip the balance to a dangerous level of dehydration. So it counts.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I only log water as water.......but that's just my preferance.
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    According to my nutritionist coffee and water are diuretics and should not be counted as water.
    I only count water as water...and rarely drink coffee or tea anyway...maybe once per week...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Well, technically, it is liquid, but it's also a diuretic that dehydrates you because it makes you pee so much, so if the point of water is to hydrate, it's not that.

Some people do, but no. Don't log coffee. I'd consider having an extra cup of water for every cup of coffee you have...for me, I find myself very dehydrated, especially if I'm working out.

The diuretic effect of caffeine is minimal

http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/12834577

"...nor does it cause significant dehydration or electrolyte imbalance during exercise."

http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/12187618

"The literature indicates that caffeine consumption stimulates a mild diuresis similar to water, but there is no evidence of a fluid-electrolyte imbalance that is detrimental to exercise performance or health"

" Investigations comparing caffeine (100-680 mg) to water or placebo seldom found a statistical difference in urine volume."
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    According to my nutritionist coffee and water are diuretics and should not be counted as water.
    I only count water as water...and rarely drink coffee or tea anyway...maybe once per week...

Your nutritionist should do more research.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    Options

"The literature indicates that caffeine consumption stimulates a mild diuresis similar to water..."

I find that portion to be particularly interesting.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I log it as coffee. It's coffee--not water. Same with tea.
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    Options
    Coffee is a diuretic. It shouldn't be counted as water.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Coffee is a diuretic. It shouldn't be counted as water.

Wrong
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    \
    The research posted here is 2010. some of the people saying "water only" are basing their ideas on misquoted or old information.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

"The literature indicates that caffeine consumption stimulates a mild diuresis similar to water..."

Basically, water is a diuretic. The caffeine makes it no more so. At least that's the way I read it.

I added this part of the quote to my original post to make it clearer

" Investigations comparing caffeine (100-680 mg) to water or placebo seldom found a statistical difference in urine volume."
  • ScatteredThoughts
    Options

Basically, water is a diuretic. The caffeine makes it no more so. At least that's the way I read it.

I added this part of the quote to my original post to make it clearer

I agree wholeheartedly. People seem to forget that water has a diuretic effect. :)