Does only water count as water?

Options
13»

Replies

• trentnivins
    trentnivins Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I think so as I was watching our local news and on their health segment they said that in order for caffeine to start actually being a diuretic , you must drink in excess of three or four pots of coffee a day, so I think coffee and tea will count to towards water intake, as for making you pee lots water will do the same as water constantly over the day your body does not hold water as you are giving it water and lots of it it will flush it through your body and make you pee regular
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Hold up......we're supposed to be drinking water? Son of a.....
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Powerade is NOT water. If it does not come from a faucet, stream, or water plant then it is not water. Real water is not made with aspartame and sodium benzonate.
  • ladylaurarose
    ladylaurarose Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree... doesn't make sense.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Powerade is NOT water. If it does not come from a faucet, stream, or water plant then it is not water. Real water is not made with aspartame and sodium benzonate.

What is in the ocean?
  • A nurse specializing in helping people lose weight told me that only water goes directly to the kidneys. Fluid that contains ANYTHING goes to the liver for filtering. Water is best.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    A nurse specializing in helping people lose weight told me that only water goes directly to the kidneys. Fluid that contains ANYTHING goes to the liver for filtering. Water is best.

How does you body know how to direct it when it is in your stomach?
  • ladylaurarose
    ladylaurarose Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Water works wonders because it us purely water. However any fluid, especially sugar free fluids are great for hydration, help cleanse your body and keep you from gaining unwanted weight from sugary drinks. Other beverages also have chemicals in them, especially diet sodas and things in that nature. There is a theory about caffeine as a diuretic. Many studies show that this is false. Therefore groups like weight watchers now consider caffeinated beverages to count in your fluid intake. You have to do what you feel comfortable with. But to me- the biggest thing is avoiding sugary beverages and their calories.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options

What is in the ocean?

Salt water. I neglected to add ETC to that sentence
  • dunlunicor
    dunlunicor Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    A nurse specializing in helping people lose weight told me that only water goes directly to the kidneys. Fluid that contains ANYTHING goes to the liver for filtering. Water is best.

Hang on then! That would mean that when I drink my water while eating 4 big macs, they would mix and my body would detect it all as big mac, so I'm actually not hydrating myself at all. Son of a b!tch, that must be why I'm not losing weight!
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options

I really hope that this "nurse" is not actually licensed to practice! If she is, I fear for her patients,
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Good gawd, even after that epic post with clearly cited sources that most anything containing water including food hydrates you, people are still trying to claim that only pure water counts. It boggles the mind how stupid people are...
  • 6Penguins6
    Options
    www.bda.uk.com/foodfacts/fluid.pdf
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Liquid is liquid is liquid.

maple syrup is maple syrup

drink 8 glasses of that a day and check back in 30 days
  • plaingirly
    Options
    I only count water as water but I have given up fizzy pop and don't drink coffee or tea - I do drink Options hot chocolate but don't count that as water.
  • Jynus
    Options

and they will indeed be hydrated... what are you trying to prove here exactly. Noone was asking if syrup has calories in it. just if it would hydrate you...
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    If you are asking what hydrates you - basically any drink and the water in foods do.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283

"beverages such as milk and juice are composed mostly of water. Even beer, wine and caffeinated beverages — such as coffee, tea or soda — can contribute"

"What you eat also provides a significant portion of your fluid needs. On average, food provides about 20 percent of total water intake."

http://www.jacn.org/content/22/2/165.short

"Inclusion of plain drinking water compared to exclusion of plain drinking water in the diet did not affect the markers of hydration used in this study."

http://www.jacn.org/content/19/5/591.short

"This preliminary study found no significant differences in the effect of various combinations of beverages on hydration status of healthy adult males. Advising people to disregard caffeinated beverages as part of the daily fluid intake is not substantiated by the results of this study."

http://bjsportmed.com/content/40/5/406.abstract (sports drinks)

"Ad libitum consumption of a CHO-E drink may be more effective than water in minimising fluid deficits and mean core temperature responses during tennis and other similar training in adolescent athletes."

http://www.jacn.org/content/26/suppl_5/592S.short (food)

"Various reports indicate that humans receive 20–25% of their daily water intake from food. Fruits, vegetables and other high-moisture foods, therefore, make an important contribution to total fluid intake."
    The diuretic effect of caffeine is minimal

http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/12834577 (caffeine)

"...nor does it cause significant dehydration or electrolyte imbalance during exercise."

http://europepmc.org/abstract/MED/12187618 (caffeine)

"The literature indicates that caffeine consumption stimulates a mild diuresis similar to water, but there is no evidence of a fluid-electrolyte imbalance that is detrimental to exercise performance or health"

" Investigations comparing caffeine (100-680 mg) to water or placebo seldom found a statistical difference in urine volume."

Excellent post.

Quoting and reposting because there is too much junk in this thread, and really the thread should have ended with the above post.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options

and they will indeed be hydrated... what are you trying to prove here exactly. Noone was asking if syrup has calories in it. just if it would hydrate you...
    more misinformation. not all liquids have water in them(bromine,mercury). not all liquids will hydrate you. not all liquids have have enough water in it that it becomes an efficient means of hydration.
  • Jynus
    Options

more misinformation. not all liquids have water in them(bromine,mercury). not all liquids will hydrate you. not all liquids have have enough water in it that it becomes an efficient means of hydration.
    I'm not sure what you're trying to prove here. Noone asked if liquids with no water in them hydrate you. I don't think misinformation means what you think it means. Nothing I said was in fact misinformation.

No matter how you wing it, there are a lot of foods and liquids that contains enough water and not enough duritics that do indeed count towards hydration. If you're not able to understand this, it's your problem, not mine.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options

I'm not sure what you're trying to prove here. Noone asked if liquids with no water in them hydrate you. I don't think misinformation means what you think it means. Nothing I said was in fact misinformation.

No matter how you wing it, there are a lot of foods and liquids that contains enough water and not enough duritics that do indeed count towards hydration. If you're not able to understand this, it's your problem, not mine.
    friend. maple syrup will not efficiently hydrate you. although there is water in it. ur body will need more water just to digest all the sugars. enjoy ur day!