your take on Ramen Noodles ??

Replies

• Gwilson939
    Gwilson939 Posts: 37 Member
    If you add your own homemade broth with some Asian Market noodles (healthier ones) and lots of healthy veggies and a bit of lean protein, leaving out the flavoring packet of course, then it can be healthy. You hardly ever see a FAT asian if they are eating their own cooking. I don't know any Asians that do the Ramen Noodles from the grocery store that is priced 8 for a dollar. And I do know quite a few asians. They also USUALLY eat very small portions when we go out or share a plate/take half home. At least the skinny ones that I go out to eat with. There is an exception though.. Pho (beef noodle soup) does seem to be eaten in larger portions.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Total, complete and utter crap but holy cow do they really hit the spot a couple of times of year. MMMMM.

And the serving suggestion cracks me up. 1/2 a pack. What? No.
  • LexieSweetheart
    LexieSweetheart Posts: 793 Member
    They do make a 35% less sodium version

4OtUw.jpg
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    I sometimes eat them when I'm craving, but I make my own broth, and I put in a lot of veggies.
  • bridgelene
    bridgelene Posts: 358 Member
    I'll also reiterate the whole SODIUM thing.

But......on the very infrequent occasion I do eat them (I still kinda like them as a throwback food, from time to time.....maybe 3 times/year :), I may only put 1/2-2/3 of the flavor packet in after they're drained (yep, I'm one of those who does it as just noodles, rather than soup)......add garlic, and pepper, and lots of leftover cooked veggies. Nom!
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Unhealthy....the wax on the noodles stays in your system for like 7 days. for 1/2 a package its 190 calories...im sorry I would much rather spend 190 calories on something more nutritious and healthy for me. I used to live off them when I first moved out on my own cause it was easy lol. but I wont eat them now.

http://www.snopes.com/food/prepare/ramen.asp

No wax... and nothing stays in your digestive system for 7 days. Nothing.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Terrible for you. But once in a great while, you just need to have a styrofoam cup filled with pressed white flour and flavored sodium water, right? I love it, but I try to stay away from it.
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    I LOVE them and eat them about once per week!!

I drink enough water to take care of the sodium and work them into my calories!
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    They do make a 35% less sodium version

4OtUw.jpg

Have not seen these!

Do they taste good?
  • unhealthy. my mom took an eatting class years ago, she learned that they are laden in a lot of oil.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Super delicious if you go to a nice japanese ramen place. There;s a world of difference between that and the 99 cent ramen packs from the grocery store.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    my hubby just bought a big box at Costco of the Big Cup Ramen Noodles.... YUM!:happy:
  • LoveAlwaysAlisa
    LoveAlwaysAlisa Posts: 111 Member
    They are basically just SALT and CARBS.....because of all the sodium i would say not healthy...but i still eat them sometimes and add meat and veggies ...
  • petersonabt
    petersonabt Posts: 518 Member
    Unhealthy....the wax on the noodles stays in your system for like 7 days. for 1/2 a package its 190 calories...im sorry I would much rather spend 190 calories on something more nutritious and healthy for me. I used to live off them when I first moved out on my own cause it was easy lol. but I wont eat them now.

http://www.snopes.com/food/prepare/ramen.asp

No wax... and nothing stays in your digestive system for 7 days. Nothing.

lol that doesn't make them healthy none the less...lol ..someone else had told me that a while back...thanks for the updated info though.
  • If you must eat them, toss the packet in the trash and use your own seasonings instead. It does not take that much longer to cook a handful of noodles (spaghetti, egg noodles, mac, ziti, etc.) and cheaper to buy those in bulk vs. the ramen. I would definitely try to find a healthier variety if possible. It is about doing the best you can with what you have available to you. :)

I like to make mock chicken noodle soup with the instant noodles especially on those days I am busy or in a hurry...http://athomewithcat.wordpress.com/2012/12/07/daily-stuff-friday-december-7-2012/

Cat
  • veggieluver2
    veggieluver2 Posts: 70 Member
    Not something I would buy. Junk.

Better choice would be cook some soba noodles add veggie broth and fresh veggies. No sodium. Or use Mrs. Dash.
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    I have fixed them in the past when I had nothing else, and before I had allergic response to wheat as I am right now, and I used the cup and directions as suggested...I did ok with that but would wake up in the middle of the night with an incredible thirst, same the next day...I never noticed any bloating tho.....and usually when I had them, it was in the winter and it helped warm me up...
  • Sarahwillow
    Sarahwillow Posts: 56 Member
    They are fried, sodium content is insane and one of those bricks is actually two serving. I won't eat them not anymore.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 905 Member
    I've never seen the less-sodium version here in CA. Nearly all of the sodium comes from the seasoning packet, which is why I very seldom use it.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    I must have been subconsciously influenced by this post, as I went for Ramen for lunch

I got Katsu Curry. Soooooo good! :)

l.jpg