Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

What should I expect,Why No change, What am I doing wrong?

13»

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    I am not sure if you are logging everything, but I took a peek at your diary and I think there were some days you were either really under or you had a really big deficit. That might also be something that is affecting your weight loss.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    You're doing great! Eight pound in 2 weeks is almost too much (although I wouldn't worry about it as a one time thing).
    You lost a lot of water the first week, your body probably did some rehydrating the second. Also consider where you are in your menstrual cycle and as other have mentioned sodium can make your body hold water (as can muscle soreness). You may not be eating enough. Make sure you are eating at least your BMR. And as for bright yellow urine, it probably is the vitamins -- especially some of the B vitamins. The good thing about water soluble vitamins (like the Bs and C) is that if you take more than your body needs, it just excretes them. Our bodies are miraculous and can handle many of the things we don't get exactly right.
    Keep going and keep your reasonable attitude... adjust what you can, try something, see how it works and then improve on it over time. Don't expect instant weight loss. Loosing more slowly is healthier. You are less likely to end up with saggy skin or that worn, exhausted look that some people who lose fast get. As added bonuses you don't have to turn your entire life into "I-can't-because-I'm-losing-weight-deprivation", you'll learn how to live in a healthier way, and you're much less likely to gain the weight back.
    Congratulations!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    When I first started losing weight after having my 2nd baby I was working out 5 times a week, once or twice with a personal trainer, eating well, and running round after a 2 year old and a 7 week old baby, and I only lost 2lbs after the first month! I could've burst into tears in the gym I was so upset. But I lost inches.

17 months on and I am 55lbs down which is not loads in comparison to some, but I have lost over 10 inches off my waist, and the same off my hips and each thigh.

Weight loss can be slow to begin with, and sometimes it's better to focus on measurements and how clothes fit and look.

Sounds like you've made a great start. Keep at it!
  • yustick
    yustick Posts: 238 Member
    I am 43 years old. I started MFP and my lifestyle change on 02/13/12. I have been obese since I was 20, gaining a significant amount during a pregnancy and then continuing to gain until I hit 364. During these 20+ years, I tried many, many times to lose. I never had the patience, it wasn't quick enough, so I would just go back to old habits and end up bigger.
    After 10 months and 97 pounds lost, I am still extremely fat and it is still a bit depressing sometimes. But I know, I will get down to a healthy weight because I've accepted that working out and eating healthy is an enjoyable lifestyle. It doesn't matter how long it takes me to get there. When I do, my habits will stay the same.
    My life would have been soooo much better if I had accepted this earlier. You are young, but time will pass quickly. I hope you just do it, enjoy the process and the results...even if they are slow. 2 pounds per week really is a healthy, realistic weight loss goal. And it may not even be consistent every week, so look at it as an average.

Good luck!
  • jmxxiiii
    jmxxiiii Posts: 231 Member
    Starvation mode is a like a unicorn...a myth.
  • Fitburd
    Fitburd Posts: 92 Member
    The headaches and diarrhoea are both signs that your liver is healthy and has been clearing out toxins daily and wasn't prepared for the sudden stop. Your body stores everything it uses in water & when you work your system so hard by overloading it, it needs all the water it can get and so has probably held onto a bit more than is now necessary cos it didn't know you were going to switch things up. You are carrying a lot more water than you need, but it takes time for your body to learn that it can stop hoarding everything & you just need to keep doing what you are doing for that to sort itself out.

Stick with it, your journey isn't going to be a short one and you cant afford to wobble so early in. There are unfortunately going to be weeks when you wont see the scales move despite doing all the right things, it happens to us all and it doesn't mean you are doing anything wrong.

Ask yourself if you would care about what you weighed if you were a smaller dress size? you are already many steps closer to your goal and that's awesome!!
  • DawnieB1977
    I didn't read through all of the replies, so somebody probably already mentioned it, but I think you need to rethink the crap you are eating. I see a lot of pre-packaged, fat and sodium packed foods. Some days you aren't getting enough calories, which causes our bodies to go into starvation mode and resist weight loss. Consider cooking more of your meals from scratch, that way you get to control the ingredients! You need to eat more nutrient-dense foods.

This comment made me go and look at your diary and I totally agree. You seem to eat mainly pre-packaged food and hardly any fruit or veg. Your sodium amounts are high, and on some days so are your sugar and carb amounts.

Start to prepare your own meals and snack on fruit and things like carrot sticks, and make sure you get lots of protein. Far better to have poached eggs on toast or porridge for breakfast than some breakfast sandwich with 550 calories in it!
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Hey there, I decided to post here because this morning I got on the scale and was very disappointed to see no weight loss. I'll start by giving you a background.

I started changing my lifestyle about 2 weeks ago.

This was as far as I needed to read. You've only been making changes for 2 WEEKS!!! How long have you been eating unhealthy and NOT exercising? A lot longer than that, right? You have to give it time to your body to adjust and start seeing improvements.

Stop freaking out. Stay off the scale. Put the measuring tape down. Relax. Be patient and progress will come. Seriously. It takes more time.

This, definitely. It sounds like you're doing all the right things, keep at it, be patient, and watch the pounds and inched melt away!

Btw, the bright yellow pee is totally normal with taking a multivitamin. And diarrhea is a very common side effect of a drastic diet change, which you have been doing, since you've been eating better and cutting out junk. So it's not a bad sign.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    I didn't read through all of the replies, so somebody probably already mentioned it, but I think you need to rethink the crap you are eating. I see a lot of pre-packaged, fat and sodium packed foods. Some days you aren't getting enough calories, which causes our bodies to go into starvation mode and resist weight loss. Consider cooking more of your meals from scratch, that way you get to control the ingredients! You need to eat more nutrient-dense foods.

This comment made me go and look at your diary and I totally agree. You seem to eat mainly pre-packaged food and hardly any fruit or veg. Your sodium amounts are high, and on some days so are your sugar and carb amounts.

Start to prepare your own meals and snack on fruit and things like carrot sticks, and make sure you get lots of protein. Far better to have poached eggs on toast or porridge for breakfast than some breakfast sandwich with 550 calories in it!

While I agree that making your own food is better nutrition, it has no bearing on your weight. Calories are calories and as long as you eat at a deficit you will lose weight. But, if you make your own foods, you can eat more! :happy:
  • Sounds like you're about where I was a year ago, and you're doing an excellent job!

Possibly the most difficult thing to deal with mentally while getting yourself in better shape is that some weeks you'll notice either *no* change on the scale, or a sudden slight jump. So it can feel like you're putting in a tremendous amount of work and not seeing the results you'd like, and that can cause a loss of motivation. What I did to get past that was just determine that this was a better way to live my life and that my weight on a weekly basis *didn't matter* because I was making positive changes for my health - not just my weight. I found that over time it all averaged out as long as I was doing the right things, and that the weeks or months of no change on the scale tended to be bookmarked by large jumps down in weight.

Something I've seen on here time and time again and I've found to be completely true is "Weight loss is a marathon... It's not a sprint" and I've found that to be completely true. It's a long term goal, not a short term goal, so don't look at *individual* short term results. Just keep an eye on everything long term and you'll probably end up where you'd like to be!
  • Haven't read through thread

but i can tell you that you cut too many calories way too quickly, meaning ur likely to have a fat loss plateau too early
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    I think you are doing brilliantly and being really sensible, and you are already getting fantastic results with your health, fitness and inch loss so try not to focus on the scales, it's how you look and feel that matters. It takes weeks to months for your metabolism to fully reset, for your body to build up the levels of nutrients in your tissues and hormones (these control everything from sleep to mood to appetite). Don't skip meals, you body needs nutrients to remain healthy and strong.

Twenty minutes of exercise won't burn a ton of calories but as you slowly build that up you will burn more and more. Unfortunately we can eat 500 calories in a couple of minutes, but it can easily take an hour to burn that off again. You will find exercise easier and safer if you warm up thoroughly, ten minutes easy pace (so you could still hold a conversation) is ideal.
  • DawnieB1977

While I agree that making your own food is better nutrition, it has no bearing on your weight. Calories are calories and as long as you eat at a deficit you will lose weight. But, if you make your own foods, you can eat more! :happy:

I disagree. If you're eating the same amount of calories but your carbs and fat are in the red, then calories are not all equal!

I tried following the slimming world stuff once. I was eating low fat, and within my calorie allowance, but the pasta did not agree with me and I hardly lost anything. Too many carbs do not agree with some people!

My calorie allowance is 1510 calories a day. I'm fairly sure if I ate 2 huge chocolate bars, a bag of crisps and a banana every day, and say some cereal, I would not have lost the weight that I have done.