What age to let a child stay at home alone?

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
I live in a very safe neighborhood (based on crime statistics). Last week my daughter had a playdate with one of her best friends. I told her father that I had to leave for work at 5:30pm and that would be the time I drop his daughter at home. He stated that he may still be at an appointment with his son and that if he isn't there, that his daughter has a house key.
Well he wasn't able to pick her up and I took her home and made sure that she got in and locked the door behind me. While I was at work, it was on my mind and once my session was over, I called to make sure that her dad was home and everything was okay.
Everything was fine, but I'm wondering how old should a child be should they be at home alone? Don't judge my neighbor. His son has cancer and HAD to be at that appointment (last minute) so there was a small snag in the plans. His daughter is 8 years old.
Please opine. I'm just curious to see what others feel is a good age. For me......................when my daughter is 25.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Usually 8 is a reasonable age in a safe neighborhood but it really depends on the maturity level of the child and the amount of trust that the parent has with the child. However, my son is 9 with severe ADHD so he can't stay at home alone; he cries when I go to the car to get something so that's not going to be happening anytime soon. I personally, would not leave my kids at home alone until they were 14 or 15 but that's just me!
  • FightingforFit82
    Options
    I think it depends on each child. Maturity plays a huge part. No specific age. My oldest is 9 and I still haven't let him stay home alone. I'm not sure if its just ME being uncomfortable and unready or that he's not ready :/ Maybe a little bit of both.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Some adults shouldn't be left home alone.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Some places have laws about this issue. Where I live I think it's 12 years old.

Could she have stayed at your place until her dad could come and get her? (assuming an adult was home with your daughter)
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I think 8 years old is plenty old enough, but of course it depends on the child. I was babysitting neighbor kids at 10, and at 8 I was certainly mature enough to stay at home alone. In other countries, 8-year-olds are working full-time jobs, going out combing the streets for food (and having to deal with all the challenges the streets pose), working as prostitutes, taking care of multiple younger siblings, getting married, having babies (yep), the list goes on and on and on. I think a child of 8 is capable of FAR more than what we tend to believe them to be.
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I was nine.
  • Verla7
    Verla7 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Legal age in WA state is 11. I know from experience as a Mom that my oldest was not mature enough at that age, but her little sister was at age 8 so I think it is a judgement call the parents have to make. No neighborhood is safe enough in my opinion in the messed up world we live in.
  • supernaturalfan_91
    Options
    I say 13. My parents asked the police station and they said 13 was the age limit.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    At around that age my parents would leave me alone for quick trips (like running to the gas station, or grocery store quick). I was probably left alone maybe 30 minutes tops. However, I had a sister older than me (so she would've been 10). She "babysat".
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Each child is different. One can be 10 and comfortable to stay at home without anyone else home while another isn't comfortable until they'll 12. BTW, comfortable goes both ways-- parents feel child is ready and child feels ready and has expressed an interest in no longer needing to have someone home in order to feel safe and secure. Really an individual thing. When it comes to parenting decisions, Always trust your gut.
  • SeaJenni
    SeaJenni Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I think the law is 12, but I had two kids who were ready long before that and one that will never be ready. It depends on the kid.
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    in Arizona the law states 13...but when MY kids reached that age, there was always the issue of them having their boyfriends over... LOL..... SO, THEY CONTINUED TO NEED BABYSITTERS then as well.....this was the case until I thought they were old enough for THAT TYPE of freedom....after all, when my daughter reached 11, I found a condom in her room....I asked her about it and she said, "but MOM, I have to be ready!!!!!" I don't know what you guys would do, but I took it away from her....
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    It would depend on the child, the area, the neighbors, the local or state laws if there are any, and the parents...at what age can the parents handle the child being home alone?

Where I live, 8 would be fine, but personally, I was happy with 10 and that was only for an hour. My son was 12, in an apartment complex with good neighbors until I was comfortable for a few hours after school. It wasn't because I didn't trust him, but more to do with being a responsible parent and understand that there are a lot of things that can and do happen in life.

Too many factors to answer for anyone else.
  • hkry3250
    hkry3250 Posts: 140
    Options
    Well, it's up to you, as far as what you feel comfortable with. The child, can they safely sustain themselves over a period of several hours, and do they know all the safety rules and numbers in case of an emergency. Finally, it's up to the laws in your state. Here in NC, I've known several people who's had their kids taken by DSS for leaving the outside to play unattended, even though the parents were home, but inside the house. DSS, said leaving a child unatended under the age of 10 was neglect.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Law here is a child can be home alone at 12, and can supervise other children at 14.

I let my kid walk home from school and let himself into the house when he started secondary school, so 12 and a bit.

He's 15 now and I'm comfortable leaving him home alone during the day, but I wouldn't let him stay home alone overnight.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    Each child is different. One can be 10 and comfortable to stay at home without anyone else home while another isn't comfortable until they'll 12. BTW, comfortable goes both ways-- parents feel child is ready and child feels ready and has expressed an interest in no longer needing to have someone home in order to feel safe and secure. Really an individual thing. When it comes to parenting decisions, Always trust your gut.

Perfect answer. It does depend on the child.

I am sure that in dealing with the son's cancer, the daughter has been home by herself before. I would just ask, "do you have a cell phone? Do you know what number to dial in an emergency?" Most kids that age I guess will sit on the couch quietly and watch TV, not turn on stoves and burn the house down.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone that it depends, but also wanted to add that a child with a sick family member frequently either acts out and needs to be watched closely or is almost too mature for their age with the weight of the world on their shoulders. I hope that girl gets to be a little girl.
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    last i knew OH didnt have a law. I know i was young, like 7. My big brother was suppose to be watching me but never did. I was left along for 2-3hrs not all day. Shoot back then you could be left in a car while your parents grocery shopped!

I would say its based on your child and the circumstances. I would say all day with NO way to dial 911 or know of an emergency plan is a NO GO. Thats ntot o say if your 3yr old knows 911 that they can stay home- im saying if they know to call 911 and what to say and who to go to if they need to get a safe place or how to reach you or never unlock the door, etc then thats ok.
  • roeann53
    roeann53 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I agree with others - it depends on the child. I was babysitting for other families when I was eleven, and by the time I was 13 I was working two part-time jobs (yep illegally, but hey in those days folks weren't so picky about checking birth certificates etc). I remember one day, when my son was 8, we were running late for his clinic appointment. So, I let him out at the side door of the hospital and watched him go inside and get on the elevator. He went up to the clinic by himself while I parked. But, the hospital was almost his second home, and I trusted him to get off the elevator and go straight to the clinic and not to stop for anyone. As my mom (who had 7 kids) once told me - every child is different. Some take on responsibility beyond our years, never quite getting a childhood, while others take a while to grow up.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Whenever the child is comfortable enough to stay home! I always had older sisters but my mom would tell us to only answer the phone if we recognized the number or if it it was her but to NEVER answer the door. Idk it depends, but an 8 or 9 year old should be able to be home alone for a little while. A lot of kids come home after school and wait a couple hours before their parents get home so it's not a rare thing