What age to let a child stay at home alone?

Options

Replies

• marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    My eldest is 9. I haven't even considered leaving him home alone. Call me overprotective. I think half of the problem is that his is sister is 6 and I would not make it his responsibility to look after her as well until he is at least 12 or 13.
  • Jymm
    Jymm Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Well it sounds like she wasn't home alone long maybe an hour or less. i wouldn't let A child that age stay at home alone for much longer like all day. But it sounds like it was an emergency.
  • ZL9685
    ZL9685 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    The law here in New Zealand is that the child may not be left unsupervised if under the age of 14
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I don't know. My oldest is 7 and she's not quite ready yet. She now walks home from her bus stop (very close) after a long discussion with her about rules (straight home, no talking to strangers, screaming like a banshee if someone touches her). She does not wait at the bus stop in the mornings by herself though. I will say that some of these laws on the subject are a bit ridiculous. I'm finding that while you don't want to push too hard, children will respond if you teach them and give them responsibility.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It's different for every kid. Some are more mature than others at younger ages. You know your kids. I don't. Just check with local ordinances and state laws to see if there is a minimum age where you live.

My parents left me alone for short periods starting at age 7. I wasn't allowed home alone after school until 12 (though I think that was more my mother's paranoia than that I wasn't ready). My daughter stayed by herself by age 9 and was fine.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    13 is the age in my ex husbands and mine custody agreement.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    The law here is 12, and I would not feel comfortable with an 8 year old home alone at all....but then, it does vary greatly with the maturity level of the child, there are probably some 8 year olds I would trust more than some 12 year olds....

this.

my 16 year old niece can't be left alone at home
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    There are so many things that factor into that equation. How trustworthy is the child(ren) being left alone? How long will they be left alone? The neighborhood is safe, but what about the house and yard? I was routinely home alone when I was about 7-8. I'm sure there were plenty of people in the neighborhood that were watching me when I didn't know they were though.

My oldest is now 6, and while I couldn't imagine truly leaving him home alone, I will leave him in the house now while I am working outside or talking outside with neighbors. I keep increasing the amount of time between checking in on him to build up his confidence in being alone and my confidence in him being alone.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Their are LAWS about this. Check your local law first.

Some states do not set a minimum age. Florida and Georgia are both examples of this.
  • Elma1975
    Options
    It depends on the child.
    I would let my older daughter to be home alone at 8 but her younger sister, no way I would have left her all by herself.
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    It depends on the individual child and the local law. Every child is different and the law varies. Some places have a law and some don't. Call your local PD and ask. My daughter is ten. She has a key and is ok for an hour or so.
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options

there not their.

but actually most states dont have laws. They have recommended ages but not an actual law. OH is one.

this site (from 07) says only 2 states had laws: http://www.childwelfare.gov/pubs/factsheets/homealone.cfm
    this site (though it seems to be a campaign lists ALL states and is recent): http://www.latchkey-kids.com/latchkey-kids-age-limits.htm

State

Minimum Age of
    Home Alone Child

Reference

Alabama
    None

Alaska
    Unknown

Arizona
    None

Arkansas
    None

California
    Unknown

Colorado
    12 *

Connecticut
    None

Delaware
    12 *

Florida
    18 *

Georgia
    8 *

Hawaii
    None

Idaho
    None

Illinois

Indiana
    None

Iowa
    None

Kansas
    12 *

Kentucky
    Unknown

Louisiana
    None

Maine
    None

Maryland

Massachusetts
    None

Michigan
    11 *

Minnesota
    None

Mississippi
    None

Missouri
    None

Montana
    None

Nebraska
    None

Nevada
    Unknown

New Hampshire
    None

New Jersey
    None

New Mexico
    None

New York
    None

North Carolina

North Dakota
    9 *

Ohio
    None

Oklahoma
    None

Oregon

Pennsylvania
    None

Rhode Island
    Unknown

South Carolina
    Unknown

South Dakota
    None

Tennessee
    10*

Texas
    None

Utah
    None

Vermont
    Unknown

Virginia
    None

Washington
    10 *

West Virginia
    Unknown

Wisconsin
    None

Wyoming
    None
  • vim_n_vigor
    Options

Some states do not set a minimum age. Florida and Georgia are both examples of this.

Here is a reference for state laws and guidelines:

http://www.latchkey-kids.com/latchkey-kids-age-limits.htm
  • superpapa16
    superpapa16 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I was probably 8 or 9 (I remember it was 2nd grade b/c I faked being sick). Then my parents both had to work early, and would leave about 20 minutes before the carpool picked us up for school. I faked sick and stayed home all day by myself. Lived in a city, and not in a very good neighborhood.

My son is 4 and I'll probably be right around that age with him. I've already started giving him some time by himself like if I'm working in the yard or in the car. I'm always still right there, but I'm trying to encourage his independence.

Fortunately Indiana doesn't have a stupid law about this. They do provide some information about making the decision if your child is ready to stay home. http://www.in.gov/dcs/files/Home_Alone_Brochure.pdf
  • rml_16
    Options

there not their.

but actually most states dont have laws. They have recommended ages but not an actual law. OH is one.

this site (from 07) says only 2 states had laws: http://www.childwelfare.gov/pubs/factsheets/homealone.cfm
    this site (though it seems to be a campaign lists ALL states and is recent): http://www.latchkey-kids.com/latchkey-kids-age-limits.htm

State

Minimum Age of
    Home Alone Child

Reference

Alabama
    None

Alaska
    Unknown

Arizona
    None

Arkansas
    None

California
    Unknown

Colorado
    12 *

Connecticut
    None

Delaware
    12 *

Florida
    18 *

Georgia
    8 *

Hawaii
    None

Idaho
    None

Illinois

Indiana
    None

Iowa
    None

Kansas
    12 *

Kentucky
    Unknown

Louisiana
    None

Maine
    None

Maryland

Massachusetts
    None

Michigan
    11 *

Minnesota
    None

Mississippi
    None

Missouri
    None

Montana
    None

Nebraska
    None

Nevada
    Unknown

New Hampshire
    None

New Jersey
    None

New Mexico
    None

New York
    None

North Carolina

North Dakota
    9 *

Ohio
    None

Oklahoma
    None

Oregon

Pennsylvania
    None

Rhode Island
    Unknown

South Carolina
    Unknown

South Dakota
    None

Tennessee
    10*

Texas
    None

Utah
    None

Vermont
    Unknown

Virginia
    None

Washington
    10 *

West Virginia
    Unknown

Wisconsin
    None

Wyoming
    None
    I am a mother and I live in Florida and lived in GA. This is incorrect about both states. There is no law in either state.
  • vim_n_vigor
    Options
    I am a mother and I lie in Florida and lived in GA. This is incorrect about both states. There is no law in either state.

The asterisk notes a guideline, not an actual law.
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I am a mother and I live in Florida and lived in GA. This is incorrect about both states. There is no law in either state.

I just copied from the site and checked the date of the site. It also said they were a guideline and listed resources for you to check out the law.
  • nonafit
    nonafit Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    My parents had to leave my son home alone for 2 hours once this year and his 9. It made my brother and sister boiling mad. But what made me decide that his not ready was...when I reached home. It was in food disaster zone. Cookie crumbs all over the house. He face, hands and clothes plastered with chocolate. And he was super hyperactive for the rest of the evening and night.

No thanks NOT again for me till may be his 12.
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I feel that it should be based on that individual childs maturity! But I never left my children at home until they were 12 years old!
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    I will let my boys stay home alone when I run to the store or the gym, no more than 2 miles away. My oldest is 11yo and very, very responsible. I will not leave the 9 yo alone without his brother. And they don't like to be alone at night. But I must also point out that I have a house full of dogs and NO ONE could get near my kids to hurt them. So I always put one of the dogs in charge. lol. a la "Remy's in charge, I'll be back in an hour, text if you need me!" And they have texted before when I was at the gym, 2 miles down the road, when they got scared about a noise. I raced home. It was just a dog that had been left outside.