Replies

• TwentyTen
    Options
    :grumble:

Thank you for this. It drives me craZy. ..bumping
  • karmasBFF
    karmasBFF Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    If I LOSE some weight, my pants will be more LOOSE.

The knot is too LOOSE.

I want to LOSE weight.

:-)

Just a pet peeve, that's all. Spread the word!

WAIT!! You dont want to LOOSE weight????

I'm such a LOOSER! (hehehe)
  • 4abetterlife
    Options
    how did you quit smoking i want to quit so bad but every time i have to deal with out i feel like i want to kill someone please tell me how you beat the nicotine beast
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I had a patient who used to yell at all the aides because they would tell her to LAY down on the table......when it should be LIE down on the table.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Ah, not 5 minutes ago I turned to my boyfriend after reading a sentence someone posted on MFP & exclaimed, "It's just so sad!"
    :laugh:

I know I make mindless typos and grammar errors, too, but it pains me when there are several blatant errors in one short sentence. Please for you to pay just a little more attention to what you're typing. :tongue:
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    Oh, and also YOU DON'T NEED AN APOSTROPHE TO PLURALIZE A WORD! Promise.
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this, since this drives me bananas, too! : )
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    As a white trash young unmarried mother all I have to say is I do this ALL the time. :ohwell: I don't even think as I type and I am sorry! :flowerforyou:
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,732 Member
    Options
    As a copy editor/proofreader, I look at all these as job security! :bigsmile:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    jlb

Thanks for your post. All these people around here who persist in talking about wanting to "loose" weight sometimes cause me to "lose" it. And another pet peeve of mine--not necessarily seen regularly on this site--is the misspelling/misuse of "till" and " 'til.":grumble:

A "till" is something in which you put money. As a verb, you might "till" your garden, BUT, if you are listing your hours of business in an advertisement, or speaking informally about waiting UNTIL later, then it is " 'til" --which is short for "UNTIL."

Therefore, you are not "open TILL 9 pm"--no matter how many ignorant people there are in the advertising and copywriting game!!!! :noway: And we are not "waiting TILL later." :laugh: :laugh:

Gotta go turn my three little doggies "loose" in the backyard before bedtime. "Til Later...... :flowerforyou: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Pieater
    Options
    <chuckle>
  • katbass
    katbass Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I l.ove this whole thread and wish it could be posted at the top of every message board on the internet!!
    Yall would love sites like www.apostropheabuse.com I laughed out loud at some of the businesses who INSIST on selling "hamburger's" and "flower's"...and when they appreciate their "customer's", I have to smile. :)
    I am not the queen of punctuation on message boards, but when I see someone intentionally add an apostrophe to a word they want plural, i die a little inside haha
    Their/They're/There
    Too/to/two
    Loose/Lose
    Know/no
    are/our (surprisingly common)
    write/right
    then/than (they are NOT interchangable!!!)

Phew...i feel better now :) thanks!
  • katbass
    katbass Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Oh, thats another one!!
    When people say things like "I love the people THAT work out in my aerobics class" and "i know people that use poor punctuation"....It should be WHO!! You know people WHO use poor punctuation and you love the people WHO work out in your aerobics class! People are not THINGS in the same way a table or a book are things.
    I like books that have suspense and drama. CORRECT.
    I like people that have red hair and freckles. INCORRECT.

gah. ok...im done .... for now ;)
  • newnormal2010
    Options
    Site / Sight

Site = Website (or other site)
    Sight = Vision related

:)

Did you properly CITE the information you got from the SITE about SIGHT and hearing?

(I teach history of math and have to grade student papers. More of them mix up site/cite than site/sight...)
  • BlueLikeJazz
    BlueLikeJazz Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    This thread gave me a good little giggle this morning, thanks!
  • krislew
    krislew Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Oh I hate this as well. I've wanted to say the same thing sooo many times!
  • jbuffan218
    jbuffan218 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    This is fantastic.
    I think there is a direct correlation to poor grammer and sloppy english with the texting of America.
    Just my opinion.
    There is a certain segment of the population who rely ( sp?) heavily on their blackberry ( notice I was afraid to pluralize this one) etc. They become so used to the shortened version of speech that they forget or simply dont care to use proper english.
    With that being said if I used any improper grammer, puncuation,spelling or general butchering of the english language please excuse me.
    It was not intentional. It was simplly my ignorance showing.:ohwell:
  • TwentyTen
    Options
    :bigsmile:
  • jon628
    Options
    Wow, how is it encouraging people to point out the mistakes they make in postings? who cares if someone says I want to loose or lose ten pounds we should just get over the mispelling and encourage people!! By the way my pet peeve is people that say Warsh!! IT IS WASH no R in the word!!
  • LittleSpy
    Options
    Wow, how is it encouraging people to point out the mistakes they make in postings? who cares if someone says I want to loose or lose ten pounds we should just get over the mispelling and encourage people!! By the way my pet peeve is people that say Warsh!! IT IS WASH no R in the word!!

I care. And not because I'm pretentious or nitpicky.
    It's a cause for genuine concern -- similiar to illiteracy or a lack of reading comprehension (also rampant throughout the world).
    I sometimes have a difficult time even understanding the message someone is trying to convey because of their inability to communicate through writing. Don't people want to be understood?

It's not just online in forums and chatrooms -- it's everywhere! I receive emails from employees and I have no idea what they need or want to tell me. I receive paperwork from employees and applications that are completely unintelligible. By the same token, I receive phone calls that start with the question "What does the letter you sent me say?" It's all I can do not to reply, "Why don't you READ THE LETTER to find out?" I received a letter of resignation the other day from an employee (I work in HR) and I know what he actually wrote was the EXACT OPPOSITE of what he meant to write-- he just wasn't paying attention to what he was writing. If he makes that mistake on his letter of resignation, it's a major cause for concern. It makes me wonder what potentially incorrect information was he relaying to our company's customers.
    Dogs can communicate effectively, why can't humans?
This discussion has been closed.