Lose vs Loose

Options

Replies

• AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    haha I am SO GUILTY of these types of things when I don't proof read. When I just type I mess it up all the time. SO if you see it in mine you can just shake your head (I am okay with it :D)
  • gummibaehr
    Options
    Haha, I love this thread. :-D The one that makes me cringe is when people write "quite" when they mean "quiet."
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    Wow, how is it encouraging people to point out the mistakes they make in postings? who cares if someone says I want to loose or lose ten pounds we should just get over the mispelling and encourage people!! By the way my pet peeve is people that say Warsh!! IT IS WASH no R in the word!!

I care. And not because I'm pretentious or nitpicky.
    It's a cause for genuine concern -- similiar to illiteracy or a lack of reading comprehension (also rampant throughout the world).
    I sometimes have a difficult time even understanding the message someone is trying to convey because of their inability to communicate through writing. Don't people want to be understood?

It's not just online -- it's everywhere! I receive emails from employees and I have no idea what they need or want to tell me. I received a letter of resignation the other day from an employee (I work in HR) and I know what he actually wrote was the EXACT OPPOSITE of what he meant to write-- he just wasn't paying attention to what he was writing. If he makes that mistake on his letter of resignation, it's a major cause for concern -- what potentially incorrect information was he relaying to customers, I wonder?
    Dogs can communicate effectively, why can't humans?

There are all types of people on MFP. You need to remember that. When I mess up it's because I am not looking over what I type. I also am a poor speller, I am aware of that and I am very successful. I also teach (in a very urban area) and I know that SO MANY of my kids grow up in households where they NEVER hear correct grammar. All they hear from people around them is slang words. Sometimes language and spelling don't come naturally to people because of disorders (dyslexia being a common one). This is a weight loss website. To be supportive of others (who many not have the same background as you).
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    There are all types of people on MFP. You need to remember that. When I mess up it's because I am not looking over what I type. I also am a poor speller, I am aware of that and I am very successful. I also teach (in a very urban area) and I know that SO MANY of my kids grow up in households where they NEVER hear correct grammar. All they hear from people around them is slang words. Sometimes language and spelling don't come naturally to people because of disorders (dyslexia being a common one). This is a weight loss website. To be supportive of others (who many not have the same background as you).

Someone asked "who cares?" I explained why I care and why communication skills are important.
    Careless mistakes are one thing -- I make them, too! But the complete inability to communicate your thoughts is a problem.

To give you an idea about how I grew up and my family -- Once, a friend of mine met my family and told another friend "I can't believe she came from that." I love my family, but they're quite an ignorant slang & twang talkin' bunch (South Carolina in the house! I'm sure it's one of the reasons I care so much about illiteracy and reading comprehension problems. And as a teacher, I really hope you are passionate about the problems with illiteracy in your area).
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    from now on I'm going to swap lose for loose every time. Just to be annoying. :tongue:
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    What did you say I can't here you. Oh I have to reed this, sorry.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    careful, if you worry about grammar on MFP too much you might loose your mind.

HAHA! I love it!

I kill me.
  • cds2327
    cds2327 Posts: 439
    Options
    i can't believe how many people don't understand how to use...
    their, they're and there

whatever though, i don't really care.
  • cmurphy04722
    Options
    Hehe I love that this was bothering other people as well. It's not as though I don't "friend" and support those who may misuse the English language, but a certain part of my brain twitches when I read botched sentences.

This post was just me ranting and spreading the word a little. I have never corrected someone's post directly. But I was a teaching assistant in college for Spanish classes and it drove me absolutely crazy when I had to teach someone proper English in order to teach them proper Spanish.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Thank's too awl hoo helpt me loose these wait.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    another I see here in the south is want and won't

did anyone mention weighed and weight

I know I've done it too in a hurry and when I see my error it drives me bonkers!
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I don't see it often here, but it kills me when people write "I past the test" instead of "I passed the test."

Or when people say something like "I drove acrosst town." I don't even know how to spell that incorrectly correctly! :laugh: Acrossed? Acrosst? Either way, you've never driven "acrossed" anything, you've driven "across".

Just thought of another one: "I seen that movie." No, you didn't "seen" that movie. You "saw" that movie.
  • jen201
    Options
    I seriously was having the worst morning ever, but to see this thread still going completely cracked me up. Thank you everyone for being so entertaining with your thoughts!

btw, I reread this about 50 times so I wouldn't mess up any spelling:tongue:
  • melissaovadare
    melissaovadare Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I just wrote a HUGE tirade, but I decided not to. LOL

I can't imagine strangers correcting my grammer, and embarrassing me on a website. For those of you who make spelling errors or grammatical errors; DON"T WORRY ABOUT WHAT THESE PRETENTIOUS PICKY PEOPLE THINK. No one should care for a NANO second about these issues on a WEIGHT LOSS FORUM. Honestly? You would think people come here to share and laugh while being a support system for each other (strangers or not). We are judged on a daily basis in everyday life for a countless number of reasons, and we should still worry when we log onto this website?!?!?

Strange.

And please try to refrain from attacking me and explaining the importance of spelling errors in your life. I have about a billion things that annoy me, but I am not posting it for people I barely know!!!!

Maybe I am just in a bad mood, but that just struck the wrong chord with me, sorry!
  • katbass
    katbass Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Melissa, I will refrain from attacking you if you stop attacking others. :) I believe the intent of this thread and the majority of the posts were written with a light heart and a smile. I doubt that anyone here TRULY "HATES" people who use poor spelling or grammar. I cant imagine HATING a person for something so silly and insignificant. But if you cant find the humor in a post on a weight loss forum, then I hope you can at least find some humor in the other aspects of your life. And I do believe we are allowed to discuss topics other than weight loss, no? I didnt see a rule about it ..?
    I dont know if your YELLING and obvious frustration with this one sinlge thread is just your bad mood, or if you really are just THAT confrontational. But either way, I hope you get over it :) Cheers!

PS Im not pretentious. But it sure sounds like you are are awfully judgemental for someone who clearly cant stand to be judged.
  • jen201
    Options
    Nicely done katbass!!! I was going to suggest that maybe she should go have a piece of chocolate to fix her mood, but you said it so much better.
  • melissaovadare
    Options
    Melissa, I will refrain from attacking you if you stop attacking others. :) I believe the intent of this thread and the majority of the posts were written with a light heart and a smile. I doubt that anyone here TRULY "HATES" people who use poor spelling or grammar. I cant imagine HATING a person for something so silly and insignificant. But if you cant find the humor in a post on a weight loss forum, then I hope you can at least find some humor in the other aspects of your life. And I do believe we are allowed to discuss topics other than weight loss, no? I didnt see a rule about it ..?
    I dont know if your YELLING and obvious frustration with this one sinlge thread is just your bad mood, or if you really are just THAT confrontational. But either way, I hope you get over it :) Cheers!

PS Im not pretentious. But it sure sounds like you are are awfully judgemental for someone who clearly cant stand to be judged.

I know that was hypocritical to say pretentious when I say not to judge! I actually laugh at pretty much everything and try not to take things to heart...this just really bothered me! I try to imagine how people feel reading a thread that makes fun of them! It IS embarrasing, even if we don't know each other.....I really wouldn't go so far as to say that I can't find humor in everyday life! I really was not branching out to speak globally about how I conduct my life outside of a website

I never said the word hate at all in my post, I am trying make a point. I don't feel my post was very attack driven at all, I feel my opinion can be heard just as everyone elses does.....

BTW, does writing something in all caps mean yelling??? I honestly did not know that! I thought it was just my way of highlighting the words lol

Of course other people were defensive a bit... I was not the only one!

My whole point was to deflect some embarrassment for people that may not take it as funny, I will take one for the team if need be!
  • melissaovadare
    Options
    Nicely done katbass!!! I was going to suggest that maybe she should go have a piece of chocolate to fix her mood, but you said it so much better.

Like I said before, I was giving an opinion. Like you did, telling me I need a chocolate fix to curb my desire to respond to a discussion that annoyed me.
  • jon628
    Options
    I am a teacher and I think the idea of these posting are to encourage people not let out our pet peeves. I just was saying we need to encourage people on here who might be typing fast and made a mistake instead of pointing out their mistakes!! That was my point. We do not need to take a mistype as the world not being able to read!!
  • melissaovadare
    Options
    If everyone agreed with each other on all topics, the world would be a boring place!

My 21 month old son peed on my bare foot the other night when I was standing in the bathroom. Some people may find that gross....I found it hilarious!!!!!!! LOL, I think I will just keep it light from now on not to make web-enemies!!!!
This discussion has been closed.