What to do once people start noticing?

Options
13»

Replies

• ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Just understand that their intent is (usually) to pay you a compliment, even if it comes out in a rude way. I can't even tell you some of the crazy things people have said to me since I lost 100 lbs. I've heard everything from "You're so pretty now!" to "Oh my, I hope you're not going too far with this diet stuff." But I just say thank you and tell myself they mean well, even if they are completely lacking in tact.

One thing I noticed was that the men I see on a regular basis were hesitant to say anything about my weight-loss, and a female co-worker who had also recently lost a lot of weight told me that it's because men are usually afraid that you will either be offended by their comments or that you will think they are hitting on you, so that prepared me for the awkwardness of male colleagues and friends wanting to say something but not being sure what to say. One of my male co-workers said "Don't sue me or anything, but have you lost a lot of weight?"

And some people will be jealous of you, even people whom you perceive to be thinner and/or more attractive than you because they may now view you as competition for them. In dealing with those people, I would say your best bet is just to ignore their comments, but if it's a continual thing, feel free to say your piece.
  • mayerrocks
    mayerrocks Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thanks for noticing!!
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I don't say anything, I just wink and their hearts melt...
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    I don't say anything, I just wink and their hearts melt...

:grumble:
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Say thanks for noticing and smile
  • Lacebopp
    Lacebopp Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I normally say Thank you, then I start telling them about MFP, Low Carb lifestyle changes and getting moving! Then again, I'm a people-person, and love educating on living a better life!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    OR to quote a genius on my friends list - just start wearing less clothing.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I'm starting at 260. Now I'm down to around 230 (not doing a check-in until I have access to a scale), and it's starting to be a bit noticeable, I guess. The other day my roommate commented that she could tell I was losing weight, but it's because she hugged me.

Today, the receptionist said, "you're looking so small these days!" I don't know if it's because I'm actually visibly losing, or because she's also in charge of the kitchen and sees the healthy lunches I bring every day, and assumes I'm trying to lose weight, and wants to encourage me. I said, "that's the goal, I suppose."

The exchange has made me realize that, once it becomes more visible (I'm about 6', so my goal is around 180, and then from there I'm going to decide what to do), and people comment, I have NO IDEA what I'm going to say. This has been a very personal change for me; while I would appreciate respect for my "accomplishment," I don't want "she lost a bunch of weight" to be my defining characteristic.

What do you all say when people comment on your weight loss?

That was unexpectedly hard for me too. I am not overly shy but I am not really the spotlight type and when people say "you look great" I felt the need to return the compliment. I still haven't gotten use to it but my response depends on what people say.

Compliments
    Wow - You have lost a lot of weight - Yeah, thanks I have been working on it
    You look great - Thanks, you do to, I like that (fill in the blank) (works as spotlight shift)
    So you lost like a gagillian pounds huh? Yes a gagillion is about what it feels like

Questions
    OK so give the secret what did you do? - Diet and exercise, sorry no secret. (they always look disappointed so I think I need to change this one)
    What did you do? - I lost a person somewhere along the way
    Where is the rest of you? - I left her in the fridge
    Did you have that surgery? - No, didn't have that kinda cash so had to do it the old fashion way.

Concern
    Is everything ok? Have you been sick? - No I promise I am not wasting away, I am just very busy with the baby and not eating as much. My pastor seems very concerned about me... I am pretty sure he only insisted on coming to my house for dinner to make sure I am still eating.
  • anniebelle26
    anniebelle26 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I say,"Thanks for noticing,Ive been working on it" And then I smile my biggest smile.
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    say "Thanks, I decided it was time to take control of my life instead of it controlling me."

The weight loss will be a defining factor for some people. I don't believe it is meant as an insult but rather an accomplishment and testimony to "newcomers" as to your strength and will. That is how I see those moments anyway. When a pal is talking to another friend or co-worker about my success and I am present, I always get the feeling they are bragging FOR ME and my accomplishment. It begins to feel good... after you get over the awkward. LOL

Just smile and talk with people. Be real. When they ask how you are doing it, remember the key words lifestyle change rather than diet. I often use the word "menu" when discussing what I eat now to avoid those who will want to know how long I intend to "diet" and what will I do to maintain....

Good Job bby the way! Congratulations on the NSV
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    try this:

"Nope. I'm not losing any weight. Maybe you're just getting bigger."

Ahahahahaha

Say thank you.

I say thanks and if they ask how I did it, I tell them a balanced diet and lots of exercise. I don't believe in any diet that cuts out whole groups of food, fad diets or shakes. Its about creating a lifestyle you can live with for he rest of your life, not just for the moment. Their faces always fall when I don't offer my "magic pill" ;) haha
  • ElizabethRaeBarnes
    Options
    I say be proud of it. At least you are not the girl who "She gained a lot of weight!" You are a walking accomplishment and people like it. :) Go with it!
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Just say thanks and move on
  • springhope99
    Options
    I personally can't wait to start losing and have people start noticing, because right now, I feel kinda invisible. For real. I never get hit on by guys anymore; I never get complimented for my outfits, because I usually wear baggy-ish clothes because of my weight. I never even get complimented on my smile, probably because I hardly ever do it these days. Listen to me, I'm starting to sound really pathetic, lol.

My point is, if it were me, I'd be elated, probably wouldn't be able to wipe the grin off my face, and I'd say a very genuine, "Thank you!" :)

By the way, congratulations on your loss so far! ;)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!