Is there a way to track WW points??

Options
Hello all-

I have been doing WW since 10/22/12 and am currently down about 30lbs... Is there a way to track WW points on here?

Best of luck to all!

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    No, but I would recommend using MFP over WW any day. Counting calories and nutrients is much more effective and useful than converting food to a points based system.

Plus, this is free.
  • CincinnatiDEIFan
    CincinnatiDEIFan Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    No, but I would recommend using MFP over WW any day. Counting calories and nutrients is much more effective and useful than converting food to a points based system.

Plus, this is free.

I agree. :-)
  • NiccaWW26
    Options
    Well, I am doing WW for free now.. I started with a membership and realized that I had the program down and have had great success so far. I have used MFP in the past and did not get even close to the results I am getting now. I decided to join again for the group discussions and to help with recipe building :)

Thanks for the input, much appreciated!!!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I bought one of the calculators when I was an online member and I log here and track in the notes.

If you're doing the most recent program, get a calculator (if you don't have one) or see if you can find one online. Here's the original ProPoints calculator. I don't know if it still applies:

http://www.wijvallenaf.nl/Weight-Watchers/ProPoints-Calculator.html

Trog -- You clearly have no idea what the WW system is.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I wish there was, my friend. I tried to convert over from WW Online to MFP for tracking because it's free. I'm not a meetings person as they would serve no benefit to me.

I have been doing WW for two years, and it is so engrained into me that I can't track my food any other way. I tried counting calories instead, but I couldn't get used to it. Also, MFP does not give you a "weekly amount" in case you go over your daily, like WW does.
  • CincinnatiDEIFan
    CincinnatiDEIFan Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    MFP does do weekly, it is just on the phone app, not the PC version. :-)
  • trogalicious
    Options

That's fine and I appreciate your input as well, but I'm recommending what I do know. My ticker speaks of how much success I've had with MFP. WW may be free, but I've never been able to understand converting a label of food into a point.. when the label is there for most foods already.
  • rml_16
    Options

That's fine and I appreciate your input as well, but I'm recommending what I do know. My ticker speaks of how much success I've had with MFP. WW may be free, but I've never been able to understand converting a label of food into a point.. when the label is there for most foods already.
    Like I said, you don't know anything about the program. I see people here all the time telling people not to do WW based on little to no knowledge of the program and a LOT of misconceptions.

There's more to it than just converting calories to points. There's nothing wrong with simple calorie counting if it works. But I've done both and FOR ME (and I'm sure others), WW is easier to follow and makes more sense.

Until you've actually tried it, you can't tell people it's not a perfectly good program. I don't think either is superior to the other in general. But one thing works for some and the other works for others.
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I agree. I think WW uses points as a proxy for counting calories. I find it more accurate to just keep track of calories.

I lost quite a bit of weight on WW 8 years ago, but prefer to use MFP and count calories - much more straightforward.

I also like that I can just count exercise for the calories I burn instead of using some inaccurate slide rule to determine how many extra points I get.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Does WW's point system somehow track macro nutrients? If it doesn't, then it is inferior. Just saying. it may be simpler but probably not "better" in the long run.
  • trogalicious
    Options
    Until you've actually tried it, you can't tell people it's not a perfectly good program. I don't think either is superior to the other in general. But one thing works for some and the other works for others.

Odd, I don't recall telling someone not to use the program. I'm merely stating what has worked for me. I've known the opposite side of the spectrum, where folks have tried WW and failed, but joined MFP at my recommendation and done perfectly fine on it.

Like you said, it's one program versus another. If someone loses on one and not the other, that's fine. Good for them. No sense in starting some debate over what works when it boils down to personal preference. Next time, I'll be sure to mention exactly what my experience in a program is before I'm condemned to the "Oh, you don't know anything about it" realm.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I think tracking macros and calories is much more informative than WW "Points". Especially when they assign higher points to certain healthy foods and lower points to many less healthy foods. (ie the "fats are bad" mentality)

I have a long family history with WW. I have nothing good to say about this profit-driven corporation. Save your money and just use MFP.
  • ceceoplaymate
    ceceoplaymate Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I lost 60 pounds off of weight watchers, This is almost the same kind of concept, but I like this a little better, free and really easy !
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options

Like I said, you don't know anything about the program. I see people here all the time telling people not to do WW based on little to no knowledge of the program and a LOT of misconceptions.

There's more to it than just converting calories to points. There's nothing wrong with simple calorie counting if it works. But I've done both and FOR ME (and I'm sure others), WW is easier to follow and makes more sense.

I know the program through two generations. Wow, do I know it. Just cuz you are in love with WW and haven't seen beyond the BS, doesn't mean others haven't. I do think WW may be useful for some people, but I refuse to respect misinformation, especially from a company that makes billions off of people who are trusting the info. Have you read the ingredients on their "food"? I hope that you have a healthy team leader, and that you are getting proper nutritional advice (they're still pusing low fat, fill up with massive amounts of veggies and grains, aren't they?). My meeting leaders were always thin, pale and sickly looking. Eat rice cakes, don't eat fat!!! (Yeah, I know it's improved a bit, but not enough imo.) And not to throw WW under the bus alone, all billion dollar diet corporations are the same. Is it really logical that they want us all to solve our weight issues and never return? Yeah, that's what I thought.
  • Sheilagh85
    Sheilagh85 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I currently track on both. I'm hoping to make a transition from WW to MFP at some point. I do love WW however I find they do assign high points for certain healthy foods such as salmon, avocado, healthy oils and nuts. I've never gained eating these foods however according to WW I should gain if I eat them. 1 oz of nuts is 5 points. Considering I get 26 points a day for all my food, it adds up quickly and plays games with your healthy eating mindset. Different things work for different people though. I've had great success on WW, but I've also had success counting calories.

Also a little conversion tip. For every 50 calories you consume, its about 1 point with weight watchers. So on 26 points=1300 calories a day which is accurate when I convert what I eat on WW points to MFP tracker.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I know the program through two generations. Wow, do I know it. Just cuz you are in love with WW and haven't seen beyond the BS, doesn't mean others haven't. I do think WW may be useful for some people, but I refuse to respect misinformation, especially from a company that makes billions off of people who are trusting the info. Have you read the ingredients on their "food"? I hope that you have a healthy team leader, and that you are getting proper nutritional advice (they're still pusing low fat, fill up with massive amounts of veggies and grains, aren't they?). My meeting leaders were always thin, pale and sickly looking. Eat rice cakes, don't eat fat!!! (Yeah, I know it's improved a bit, but not enough imo.) And not to throw WW under the bus alone, all billion dollar diet corporations are the same. Is it really logical that they want us all to solve our weight issues and never return? Yeah, that's what I thought.

I did online and never once attended a meeting. I no longer pay WW anything. I simply follow the Good Health Guidelines (please point out what's wrong with those) and track my food by points instead of calories -- though sort of both, since I log here.

I don't eat their food, so I don't need to know what's in it.

My mother and her sister, as well as a close friend who I've know for a lot of years had great success on WW, as did I. And we all ate the same foods we would have eaten without WW. I remember when my mother would bring home recipe cards from meetings. Things like veggie-stuffed baked chicken breasts that were incredibly yummy.

I agree, from what I've heard, that there are some lousy leaders out there. But the program itself is not bad. I lerned far more about nutrition from WW than I have ever learned here.

In fact, while doing WW, my cholesterol came back high (genetic) and my doctor sent me to a dietician who said she had absolutely no advice for me because I was already eating the way she would have recommended.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

I did online and never once attended a meeting. I no longer pay WW anything. I simply follow the Good Health Guidelines (please point out what's wrong with those) and track my food by points instead of calories -- though sort of both, since I log here.

I don't eat their food, so I don't need to know what's in it.

My mother and her sister, as well as a close friend who I've know for a lot of years had great success on WW, as did I. And we all ate the same foods we would have eaten without WW. I remember when my mother would bring home recipe cards from meetings. Things like veggie-stuffed baked chicken breasts that were incredibly yummy.

I agree, from what I've heard, that there are some lousy leaders out there. But the program itself is not bad. I lerned far more about nutrition from WW than I have ever learned here.

In fact, while doing WW, my cholesterol came back high (genetic) and my doctor sent me to a dietician who said she had absolutely no advice for me because I was already eating the way she would have recommended.

I had great success on WW... 45lbs in 7 months. It was VERY easy for me to have 27 points for food and once I was out, I was out. For some odd reason, this same thought process hasn't been able to convert to 1710 calories for the day and when I'm done, I'm done.

Different strokes for different folks. If people are really interested in getting healthy, WW works just as well. It encourages fruit, veggies, dairy and protein. Just like on this program, you're always going to find people that "cheat" and eat all their calories in processed foods and other junk. Just because it's wrong in your opinion doesn't make it wrong all around. I've seen plenty of people with success on WW as well as here.

(And I'm speaking about the old system, not this new system of free fruits and veg. WTF is that about?)
  • rml_16
    Options
    Agree about the free fruits, WTH!
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Hello all-

I have been doing WW since 10/22/12 and am currently down about 30lbs... Is there a way to track WW points on here?

Best of luck to all!

YES YES YES, there is a way to track WW points on MFP!! This is something that MANY people on here don't know!!
    First off, you need to use the Mozilla Firefox browser. If you don't have it, download it for free - You won't be sorry.

Second - You will need to install a script into Firefox (like a plug-in) that will display the points in your food diary.
    Here is the link: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/122949

It can be used for both the old and new points systems.
    Here are more instructions about getting it setup: http://userscripts.org/about/installing

I've been using this since March and I absolutely LOVE it. It is like using the WW E tools except for free!!
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Agree about the free fruits, WTH!

I totally agree that nobody got fat on grapes but c'mon man. Free? No thanks. I'd probably do it again if I could have my old system back.