Is there a way to track WW points??

Options

Replies

• CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Agree about the free fruits, WTH!

I totally agree that nobody got fat on grapes but c'mon man. Free? No thanks. I'd probably do it again if I could have my old system back.
    the "free" fruits and veggies are factored in to how many points you get to eat. It is just a way of encouraging people to eat more of them.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

I totally agree that nobody got fat on grapes but c'mon man. Free? No thanks. I'd probably do it again if I could have my old system back.
    the "free" fruits and veggies are factored in to how many points you get to eat. It is just a way of encouraging people to eat more of them.

For some odd reason, it still never worked; the new system. I tried it 3x. And I know plenty of my friends that feel the same way. Boo! Boooooooooooooooo!
  • CM9178
    Options

For some odd reason, it still never worked; the new system. I tried it 3x. And I know plenty of my friends that feel the same way. Boo! Boooooooooooooooo!
    I agree I don't like the new system either. I still follow the old points system from BEFORE flex/core, because I know it works for me.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I lost 90 lbs, all on Points Plus.

Zero point foods are not there to be used as a free for all. They are there as an encouragement to choose an apple over a cookie, especially in situations where these two items might have the same amount of calories.

This sh** works, and I'm sticking to it.

That said, I'm gonna try the Mozilla suggestion when I get home. I would love to not have to pay for the Online tracker.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Yes, but they only give you 250 calories to account for the free fruits and veggies. A single banana can be anywhere from 80-120 calories. A cup of grapes is 100.

I did it when just veggies were free and did fine. I mean, it takes a LOT of vegetables to get to 250 calories. But the fruit adds up quick. It seems like people who have less to lose struggle more on Points Plus than they every did on the older programs.

For the record, I still follow Momentum.
  • bjshores
    bjshores Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    MFP does do weekly, it is just on the phone app, not the PC version. :-)

I use this a lot. It shows me how much exercise I've done as well. I tend to slack off some days in the week and make up for it later.
  • caroleannlight
    caroleannlight Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    bumping for later
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I have done both, and I have answer for the weekly points! If you set your goals to sedentary (or whatever your activity level is- minus exercise), and eat back your exercise points you will be doing the same as WW if you were to eat your weekly & exercise points.
    WW takes your total weekly calories, gives you at least 1200 calories for each day (depending on the person) and then takes the left over calories and gives them to you as weekly points. Then exercise calories are given on top of that. Since I never ate my weekly points or exercise points...I just gained weight on WW. Now I know how it works...so I wold do it differently- but now I have MFP.
    So, to sum up, if you are used to the WW format, just look at your weekly calories instead of daily. So for me, trying to lose 2 pounds a week, I get 8400 calories a week (1200 a day) + what I burn with exercise. Make sense?
  • CM9178
    Options

Yes, but they only give you 250 calories to account for the free fruits and veggies. A single banana can be anywhere from 80-120 calories. A cup of grapes is 100.

I did it when just veggies were free and did fine. I mean, it takes a LOT of vegetables to get to 250 calories. But the fruit adds up quick. It seems like people who have less to lose struggle more on Points Plus than they every did on the older programs.

For the record, I still follow Momentum.
    WW also teaches you that you should only eat until you are satisfied. So just because some Fruits and veggies are "free" doesn't mean you should eat 3 bananas a day just because you can and on top of your daily points, and then still expect to lose weight.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

WW also teaches you that you should only eat until you are satisfied. So just because some Fruits and veggies are "free" doesn't mean you should eat 3 bananas a day just because you can and on top of your daily points, and then still expect to lose weight.

Eat one banana and tell me how satisfied you are.
  • CM9178
    Options

Eat one banana and tell me how satisfied you are.
    Your meal shouldn't consist of one banana - of course you won't be satisfied. It would be eaten as an addition to a meal like breakfast, or as a snack - so yes, you should be satisifed eating one banana. If you are eating fruits and veggies throughout the day in reasonable amounts and serving sizes, then you should have no problem losing weight and counting them as "free".
    If you are going to eat 3 bananas a day, 4 apples, 2 oranges, and 15 other things because they are free - then no, that's obviously not going to work. It is common sense and about serving size and portion control.
  • CM9178
    Options
    Here is a WW article that addresses pretty much everything I just said:

http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=108831&sc=3002

Some points from it:
    How much 0 PointsPlus values fruit is too much?
    We’ll say it again: Yes, fruits and vegetables aren’t magically calorie-free just by dint of us making most of them free of PointsPlus values. We took this step to encourage people to eat more fruits and vegetables; foods that are nutritious, satisfying and help to encourage you to make healthy, lasting choices that will lead to weight loss.

If you’re concerned that you’re eating “too much fruit," ask yourself if you’re enjoying what you’re eating, or if you’re honestly stuffing yourself with bananas because they’re “free." Or maybe you’re blending pounds of berries and bananas with ice into big-gulp smoothies.

If you’re using fruit and veggies as a way to stuff yourself in lieu of stuffing yourself with less healthy foods, then it’s possible that you may be reaching the point of “too much." If you’re eating more than you used to, but you’re using them for healthy snacks, to bulk up your meals or as a tide-me-over when you’re down to the last few PointsPlus values for the day or week, then you’re probably OK.

The bottom line? Let your hunger, and your weight loss, be your guide.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I lost weight just fine with the free fruit. That includes about 2 to 3 apples and an orange or banana per day. Oh, and about 3/4ths of a cup of blueberries too.
  • LeanneCutrara
    LeanneCutrara Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have followed all the instructions and cannot get it to work?
  • LeanneCutrara
    Options
    FInaly got it to work on the cottage computer....there is hope for me yet!

Loving it......now I have the beauty of both worlds.
  • LeanneCutrara
    Options
    Ok so I setup in my fitness pal a seperate section for fruits and veggies and will watch the points and see how I do. I know how many points a day I can have and if I go over 3 or 4 then I have a seperate section to watch it.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Tracking macros is much more useful. WW points are meaningless, plus they've scammed more than enough profits from us, don't ya think? I absolutely hate WW and other diet corporations. This is free AND useful and there are supportive friends to be found here as well. I'm never giving another penny to any weight loss organization, especially one that has been so harmful to the health of my family and I.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    No, because WW has it's own online system and is liscenced to them.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Interesting discussion!!!
  • never124get
    never124get Posts: 163
    Options
    Hello all-

I have been doing WW since 10/22/12 and am currently down about 30lbs... Is there a way to track WW points on here?

Best of luck to all!

YES YES YES, there is a way to track WW points on MFP!! This is something that MANY people on here don't know!!
    First off, you need to use the Mozilla Firefox browser. If you don't have it, download it for free - You won't be sorry.

Second - You will need to install a script into Firefox (like a plug-in) that will display the points in your food diary.
    Here is the link: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/122949

It can be used for both the old and new points systems.
    Here are more instructions about getting it setup: http://userscripts.org/about/installing

I've been using this since March and I absolutely LOVE it. It is like using the WW E tools except for free!!

Bumping just for this, I need to try this when I get home. I was on WW about a two years ago and lost 45 lbs in about 6 months along with working out which I assumed is a pretty good rate. Then wouldn't you know a loss of a person extremely close to me (mother like figure) + a bad relationship with my boyfriend at the time (now an ex boyfriend) + me + emotional eating = gaining it all back plus another 20 lbs. :brokenheart: I am dealing better with emotions and using them to fuel my workouts and not my midnight binges. But this seems like a neat thing to try so, thanks!