Are you kidding me? More food in the office?

Options

Replies

• miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I am perpetually one of those who are guilty for bringing something in. Last week we had an artisan fair and I had a bunch of cupcakes left over. So I walked around and gave everyone in the office one (better than me taking a ton of them home or them going to waste!) They were delicious, I got rave reviews and some additional baked goods orders and I didn't have the temptation at home.

I never begrudge people bringing stuff in- if I eat it I tend to log it, if I lose track and can't log it all I penance run or hop on the spin bike for an hour. It's all about the balance!
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Oh noes!

The world really IS ending on the 21st. Damn coworkers and their baked goods!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    If you stress out about it, you are going to drive yourself crazy. There is no reason to get all hyped up about there being food in the office. As others have said, you can either ignore it and snack on healthy stuff. Or you can eat it. And if you eat it, budget it in or plan to work it off.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    At work there is a big tub of chocolates for the staff..I had one..then exercised some will power.
  • Pnknlvr96
    Pnknlvr96 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Do a little dance. One that anyone can see. If they ask what you're doing, say "I'm doing a little 'I'm not gonna eat you dance' for that food right there!'"

DANCE!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I think this week will be hard for a lot of people at work. I've got 3 potlucks just this week! My plan is to take small portions of only what looks really good (if it doesn't look good, why try it?), and then work out a little harder those days. And of course water, water, water. You can do it!!
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Either use self control and will power or eat some and work it into your day. At least you recognize that they are being thoughtful and not complaining that they are trying to sabotage you.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    planahead.jpg

Most of us have the same problem ...... it's a never-ending story ...... either say "no, thanks" ..... or fit a bite or two within your daily goals ..... with an extra run around the block if need be .....
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Have a few small bites, fit it in your calories and move on. All yummies aren't going to go away just because you are dieting.
  • afatwomanonamission
    Options
    I always just ask 'Is this worth it?' because so many of the treats are things I would eat because they're here, and not because I want them. I partake when things are worth it, and then log it and make amendments as necessary. Realistically, as other posters have said, in your lifetime you will encounter snacks everywhere (and unhealthy choices) so it's good to practice will power and restraint now, but also to let yourself indulge from time to time. :) Good luck - I totally understand what it's like (my office has been full of baked goods for WEEKS!) UGH! LOL
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    They're making you eat it?

Love this!! :)
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    Oh noes!

The world really IS ending on the 21st. Damn coworkers and their baked goods!

tumblr_lxazi1AG181r6aoq4o1_250.gif
  • CincinnatiDEIFan
    CincinnatiDEIFan Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Will power! You can avoid it!!!!

I walked into the gym this morning...all the workers had brought in baked goods for the members. Nice gesture...but its a GYM...and, well, the baked items were not very low in calories. Seemed to defeat the purpose of being there personally.... :-)
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    It's the holiday season. Giving yourself a few extra treats this time of year won't hurt anything in the long run. Stressing over it, however, will.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    There's always going to be tempation, no getting around it. You just have to learn to deal with it. Personally, I don't deprive myself...if I want it, I'll eat it...log it, might take something else off my planned eating or go out and do a bit more exercise...or I might go over my goal by a few calories. Big deal...for me, this is more of a lifestyle thing than anything else. I'm not going to beat myself up or feel guilty about having a cookie or piece of pie once in awhile...I like living life.
  • Sweet_Pea0107
    Options
    You have 2 choices...
    1. Endulge and eat the treats
    2. Don't eat them

Basically it is up to you because you can't stop people from bringing food in.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Better question to ask yourself is...what are you going to do NEXT year when Christmas comes again, and there are more baked goods, and you aren't "on a diet".

Change your mentality.

If you want to have some, have some, and log it. If it puts you over for your day with what you already brought/planned to eat, either adjust your menu, or add an extra few minutes to your exercise routine.

If you don't learn how to fit life in to living, then what is the point of the exercise?
  • skinnybitchbarbie27
    Options
    We had a biggest loser competition at an office where I used to work and boy those b*tches were good a sabotage bringing in cookies and candies into the break room. Well first of all, it was in a break room. A room that I have the option to not step into. I know that when it comes to sweets (especially home made frosted sugar cookies) that I wasn't going to have just one. I took my breaks walking around the office just to move my legs and ate my lunch in my car and actually, that is a habit I started that I enjoyed. Just walking out to the car, turning on the radio and possibly the heat, and just eat my lunch in peace. Nobody complaining about what their husband did or didn't do the night before, no over hearing some loud woman on her cell phone, just peace and quiet.

You can do it. I know a lot of people are saying that have one if you can fit it into your calories but If you're anything like me, avoiding the situation completely may help. At the end of the week if you've held off, treat yourself to a few things so you don't feel deprived but you'll also know you earned it by fighting the goodies all week.
  • jrreed1
    jrreed1 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It's all part of your journey. Here is a new challenge. Look at it as an exercise of will power. You get to make the choice to eat or not eat the treats. If you choose to have something, log it BEFORE you eat it. I find logging helps put the choice in a more concrete form and sometimes I'll go ahead, sometimes it's enough to deter me before I totally dereail myself for the day. It's all part of learning how to make food choices for yourself.
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Had a conversation about this exact thing this morning...the world isn't going to/doesn't change the way it works just because we get on our "diet bandwagons." *I* have to be strong and say "no" or "is it worth it?" if it is, then I enjoy it and log it.
  • Simona40
    Simona40 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My office is notorious for food! Most people gain 15-20lbs their first year here! No joke!

I avoid it. It bothers me that we are given very few healthy food options but that's life. I've learned to ignore it [for the most part].

Last week we had our holiday lunch - greasy Chinese food. Next Monday is another lunch [not sure what'll be served but likely fast food type meals] and then the 28th is a planned "junk food" day. I bring in fruit. I like to participate with my team but that doesnt mean I have to sacrifice my own health. Yes, I know one meal isnt going to kill me but it's the cravings and binges that it can set off that I want to avoid.