Are you kidding me? More food in the office?

Options

Replies

• Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I would call this a great learning experience! This is life testing your willpower. Just get used to saying no. Being able to put your foot down is a skill everybody has, but not many exercise and strengthen it! It gets easier after a while, and in the end you will be glad you didn't cave.
  • CarrieJ85
    CarrieJ85 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    My office is the same way! I like the idea of calling in sick for the next week, though! Maybe I'll try that! ;)
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Will power! You can avoid it!!!!

I walked into the gym this morning...all the workers had brought in baked goods for the members. Nice gesture...but its a GYM...and, well, the baked items were not very low in calories. Seemed to defeat the purpose of being there personally.... :-)

Oh, geez. Most people who go to the gym understand it's okay to have a treat once in a while. They know how to balance their lives.

I think it's a nice gesture when my gym has cupcakes for their birthday or pizza during the World Series. They aren't forcing it on anyone, and since you're at the gym, it's easy to add a bit more time to your workout if you indulge. It's not like binging at home.

Besides, one cupcake or one piece of pizza is perfectly fine. I eat chocolate and pizza and still lose weight every week. I'm so tired of these Chicken Little threads. Baked goods are not the end of the world.
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue here, someone suggested to me to picture it being prepared in a filthy kitchen! that worked for me. now I picture grubby handed kids helping in the baking, turns me away from it everytime! lol
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Eat it and fit it in your cal goals.

Just sayin'.
  • BrittKnee_Rae
    BrittKnee_Rae Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Well I guess It depends on your preferences.. You can eat a little, and burn it off at the gym or resist the urge! If you are just maintaining, then don't deprive yourself! But I am in the losing stage, so the temporary pleasure is not worth it! I have not indulged in even a tiny bit of goodness so far this holiday season, and I don't plan on it! I am close enough to my goal that I refuse to be tempted, so I simply ignore all the goodies at work and respectfully decline every bad choice that comes my way! The holidays will be over before I know it and I will be proud of my will power!
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    I have a bunch of "bake-happy" coworkers. And they would always bring stuff in and put them out first thing in the morning, in the coffee area.
    Everytime I went through there, I would take something. Now, I see when they come in. I just don't go to the coffee area until absolutely necessary... (it's by the water cooler and near the bathrooms...). And by the time I do get there, half the goodies are gone and its close to lunch time.
    The hardest time of day for me to say no to the baked goods is during the morning. So I just avoid going to where the goods are until I know I can say "no" to them. I will have plenty of goodies during Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. I don't need it for the 2-3 weeks surrounding the holidays. haha

Plus, this year I am baking massive amounts of cookies. I could stand in a room surrounded by cookies and cakes right now and easily say no.

Now... wave a bag of chips in my face and I will grab it and run... hahaha But thats a whole other "sweet vs salty" story.... :wink:
  • lkokot
    lkokot Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You are probably better off not eating any of it and sticking to what you brought...if you don't you'll feel guilty later on I'm guessing.
  • Cindy393
    Cindy393 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Stop and think about it - did you want to eat those items BEFORE you saw them? Or did you just want them because they're there? If you've been craving one of those specific items, have a little piece. But if not, you're probably just responding to the fact that food is available.

LOVE the above, and it's so very true. Every (and I mean EVERY) day there are always cookies, candy and other junky things on our table here. Now cookies and homemade brownies have shown up today. I don't want them. I worked my butt off on my elliptical this morning, and the thought of me eating one of these treats right now just isn't appealing enough to undo some of my hard work. I'll live without them. Good luck.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    Accidently knock it on the floor, and then walk all over it.

LMFAO!! Love that plan hahaha
  • nklunk
    nklunk Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. We have persimmon pudding, cookies, candy and oreo balls. It sucks!! I did allow myself a small piece of pudding. Just stay strong!!
  • PaveGurl
    PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I can't have baked goods, as a rule, so that helps a LOT (they always make my tummy really angry). While I miss how they taste, I don't miss how they make me feel.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Be honest with yourself. Do you want it because you LOVE it, or just because it's there and/or you keep telling yourself you can't have it?

If you really love one or two of the items, find a way to make them work. Go for a walk on your break or something. If you are just wanting it because it's habit or because you feel left out, think about the foods you can eat later that you really do love, then plan those things into your day/week. I've found that most foods at work/parties are not things I LOVE. Once I got honest with myself and admitted this, it was so much easier to forgo the office goodies for other planned treats.

Plus, do you really need two fruits and a whole bell pepper with dip to snack on? If you did without the two fruits and half the pepper and dip, you'd have enough calories to enjoy a bit of something that you really want. I've found that always making sure I have *healthy* snacks in abundance actually leads to me eating in abundance, even if it's just healthy stuff. Why stuff myself with an apple, an orange and a bell pepper and eat 300 calories just to avoid a chocolate chip cookie with half the calories?
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    There will always be a restaurant that looks inviting, a friend offering something, the family member's gift, or other temptation of food that will cross your path. Keep a 3 x 5 card list Tempted, Resisted and Overcame on it... See how many times you can overcome temptation and if you give in after ten temptations this time... go for twenty next time... It helps to measure the intervals in between your yieldings to temptations so that you are aware that although you gave in you are doing so less frequently than in the past so that you don't get down on yourself and give up. That is always the danger with temptation is not the single treat but the regression to a negative lifestyle.
  • LosinItAll2012
    LosinItAll2012 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    My friend's advice is to celebrate.

Literally, celebrate every time you walk past without touching the stuff.

Do a little dance. One that anyone can see. If they ask what you're doing, say "I'm doing a little 'I'm not gonna eat you dance' for that food right there!'"

Why celebrate? Because you don't need that crap anymore! You aren't a slave to food! You don't *have to* pick up every little piece of something that someone left lying around and put it inside you!!

DANCE!

Love this!! We aren't a Slave to Food!!!
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    My boss baked everyone in the office a mini orange cranberry bread. I'll take it to the bar tomorrow for triva and share with others (and enjoy a piece). That way I can partake but not eat the entire thing by myself. And it will be had with beer, so that will always be good.

I like the way you think!
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    My friend's advice is to celebrate.

Literally, celebrate every time you walk past without touching the stuff.

Do a little dance. One that anyone can see. If they ask what you're doing, say "I'm doing a little 'I'm not gonna eat you dance' for that food right there!'"

Why celebrate? Because you don't need that crap anymore! You aren't a slave to food! You don't *have to* pick up every little piece of something that someone left lying around and put it inside you!!

DANCE!

this!
  • CincinnatiDEIFan
    CincinnatiDEIFan Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Will power! You can avoid it!!!!

I walked into the gym this morning...all the workers had brought in baked goods for the members. Nice gesture...but its a GYM...and, well, the baked items were not very low in calories. Seemed to defeat the purpose of being there personally.... :-)

Oh, geez. Most people who go to the gym understand it's okay to have a treat once in a while. They know how to balance their lives.

I think it's a nice gesture when my gym has cupcakes for their birthday or pizza during the World Series. They aren't forcing it on anyone, and since you're at the gym, it's easy to add a bit more time to your workout if you indulge. It's not like binging at home.

Besides, one cupcake or one piece of pizza is perfectly fine. I eat chocolate and pizza and still lose weight every week. I'm so tired of these Chicken Little threads. Baked goods are not the end of the world.

Um, I was just stating a fact that happened to me today to point out it isn't just a work "thing". Check my diary, it's open. I have all kinds of food that most of the health nuts on here would say I shouldn't.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    You're going to have to not think about it and do your best to ignore it. Or allow yourself *a* cookie or *a* piece of cake. A little bit won't hurt you. Just don't wander in there every 15 minutes and grab something else.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Throw a huge temper tantrum and tell your co-workers they are only allowed to bring in and eat Lean Cuisine.