Becoming A Ripped Goddess

Options
At the moment I mainly do cardio to lose weight.
Are weights the only way to get muscle definition and become a bit ripped?

Replies

• dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Pretty much yes. That ripped look comes from having low body fat, down near or into the single digits. Getting body fat that low but maintaining enough muscle mass to have something to show is going to require both cardio and strength training. Don't worry about getting bulky though, you have to try hard to add significant muscle bulk.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    At the moment I mainly do cardio to lose weight.
    Are weights the only way to get muscle definition and become a bit ripped?

Resistance exercise is the most effective. Get into weightlifting -- you won't regret it.
  • SanDiegoCasey
    SanDiegoCasey Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Love lifting, but you can really do some kick butt work doing full body bodyweight workouts, there are a ton out there.
  • clrrrr
    clrrrr Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    There are lots of ways to get intense muscular workouts without necessarily doing weights. Ballet, gymnastics, and swimming leap to mind. Pretty much any total-body workout. Depends on how ripped you want to get, I guess. The idea of doing weights bores me out of my mind but I get my strength workouts from circuit training classes (kettlebells, medicine balls, sprints, body-weight exercises), yoga, and the occasional stint on the rowing machine. I'm starting pole-dancing in the spring, too (seriously SO excited for that).
  • SarahRea32
    SarahRea32 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Do it, you will not regret it! I love the changes consistent resistance training has made to my body. Going to keep at it for life!
  • Kirkajuice
    Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Thought I'd just post the link to show body fat % estimates in men and women. We need a slightly higher % of body fat than men do, I think the general consensus is that 14% is the absolute minimum for women. Though with even general consensus, there will be people who don't fit that idea, you'll just have to try and work it out for yourself with your doctor and how you feel.

http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages
  • DawnVanSlim
    DawnVanSlim Posts: 10,471
    Options
    It's not the only way but it will be the most effective way. It has transformed my body. You won't regret it, it not only makes you strong physically but mentally as well.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    calorie deficit+ weight training= WIN
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    calorie deficit+ weight training= WIN

This...she speak the truth
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Options
    Don't be a girl ;o) Lift those weights!! Other girls will want to know your secret!
  • plaingirly
    Options
    I just bought some weights - looking forward to getting stronger and hopefully smaller!
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Pretty much yes. That ripped look comes from having low body fat, down near or into the single digits. Getting body fat that low but maintaining enough muscle mass to have something to show is going to require both cardio and strength training. Don't worry about getting bulky though, you have to try hard to add significant muscle bulk.

I'm sorry I just have to say the assessment of body fat percentage here is incorrect for females. We can have significant definition at higher bf percentages. My goal is 16% body fat. Single digits for females is pretty extreme.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

I'm sorry I just have to say the assessment of body fat percentage here is incorrect for females. We can have significant definition at higher bf percentages. My goal is 16% body fat. Single digits for females is pretty extreme.
    Agreed.
  • impojr
    impojr Posts: 52
    Options

this is because females need extra body fat for breast tissue and some other things. One digit body fat for females is dangerous, and they can lose the ability to menstruate. Here's a rough visual guide:

tumblr_me8iv8Yb8M1rlcbrro2_500.jpg

I'd recommend not even trying to get to 10% as it is too unsafe. 15-17% looks perfectly healthy (even up to 20% in my opinion)
  • ChaleGirl
    ChaleGirl Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys,
    I'm going to start lifting!!
    Looking at those pictures 20% looks fine, not too ripped but toned!
    This is going to be hard work as I am very curvy so I think my body fat may always be higher than what sounds healthy :(
  • ChaleGirl
    ChaleGirl Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'm glad someone said that it is hard to get bulky because that worries me,
    I don't want to be bulky at all, just a little ripped and defined!
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I absolutely agree with the advice to lift and glad to see you are going to start! I've been doing cardio for so long and have never seen the changes in my body that I've seen since I started lifting a few months ago. It's a great feeling and hopefully you will enjoy it!
  • rcthale
    rcthale Posts: 141
    Options
    Weights do a body good, and after a few months it will start to help with weight loss. Beware of the typical goal of the six-pack, though. It takes a strict diet to maintain, so it's a hobby in itself.
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options

this is because females need extra body fat for breast tissue and some other things. One digit body fat for females is dangerous, and they can lose the ability to menstruate. Here's a rough visual guide:

tumblr_me8iv8Yb8M1rlcbrro2_500.jpg

I'd recommend not even trying to get to 10% as it is too unsafe. 15-17% looks perfectly healthy (even up to 20% in my opinion)

I'm not sure that is a very accurate poster. I am 25% but I look closer to the girl that is 35%. I see your point in posting it though, I agree that weight training is the best way to do it. You don't necessarily need dumbells or equipment though (at least until you get stonger). Bodyweight (calisthenics) are a good easy way to do it too! Also, you will not get bulky. It takes high calories and protein(and testosterone so I've been told) to even begin something like that.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options

Agreed. My definition starts to show around 20% and gets better about 15%. I don't think I'd want to go much lower than 14%, personally.