Fat, sick and nearly dead

Options
have anyone try the regime presented in the documentary "Fat, sick and nearly dead"

Meaning 60 days, not eating anything solid but vegetable and fruit juice?

Replies

• Ronamission
    Ronamission Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I would say check with your Dr. and a nutritionist. Then I would say, it's a marathon not a sprint. Go for a lifestyle chanage of healthy diet and execise. Those super quick diets never worked for me in the long run.
  • phyllisbobbitt
    phyllisbobbitt Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I do not see how you would get all of your protein out of this diet. I agree with the previous response that there is no way you could continue this type of diet forever. You might lose some but as soon as you get off the pounds will pack on. What a waste of time & energy!
  • gooellie
    Options
    If you lose to fast then you are more likely to re gain so it is pointless these people that lose super slow will have a harder less likely chance to gain back. And I think that is what this is all about is the life style that follows the weight loss. So I wouldn't do it
    Also the nearly dead in the title would make me run away just saying
  • chism21
    chism21 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    If you lose to fast then you are more likely to re gain so it is pointless these people that lose super slow will have a harder less likely chance to gain back. And I think that is what this is all about is the life style that follows the weight loss. So I wouldn't do it
    Also the nearly dead in the title would make me run away just saying
    Yeah not all that is because the guy who did the documentary just had a heart attack
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I am on day 9 now. I don't know how long I will go with it but I will go till I get the last 7 pounds off of me (I have been stagnant for months and months and juicing is making the weight shift yay). I really am loving the way I feel and plan to incorporate juice into my weekly lifestyle and incorporate IF withthe juicing. It makes me feel fantastic and this is not temporary for me as I plan to use it as a tool in the future too. I do believe this is a healthy lifestyle as long as you don't see it as a quick fix and look at it as a way to improve your health and well being. It is all about how you look at things.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I would be cautious of ANYTHING that promoted a liquid diet. Your body NEEDS solid foods, or rather, your digestive system does. Plus, it all depends on HOW you are juicing - if you are removing the skin beofre juicing then you are also removing a lot of the nutrients and in particular fibre.

Why live on fluid? Why not enjoy food as it is? What happens if you want to go out for a meal with friends? Do you ask the chef to juice the food?
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    I would be cautious of ANYTHING that promoted a liquid diet. Your body NEEDS solid foods, or rather, your digestive system does. Plus, it all depends on HOW you are juicing - if you are removing the skin beofre juicing then you are also removing a lot of the nutrients and in particular fibre.

Why live on fluid? Why not enjoy food as it is? What happens if you want to go out for a meal with friends? Do you ask the chef to juice the food?

you don't go out while you are juicing, people don't live like this forever, or you just enjoy a cup of tea or water. Please, do your research before you speak. Your body doesn't distinguish between juice and solid food, you chew up solid food before you swallow it and it all goes through the digestive system the same way. This is not as unhealthy as you make it out to be, eating fast greesy fried food is waaaay more unhealthy then extracting the vitamins and minerals from fruit and veggies so your body can absorb them better. I think most people against this either think it is starving (which is it most definitely not!! you should see how many fruits and veggies I juice daily) or are jealous because they don't believe they can do it themselves. If it is for health, and not a quick fix (at least it is for me anyway), it can be a very poweful and useful tool to be used in your daily life even when you are not only juicing. I can't say the same about eating crappy fast food while losing weight.
  • hendinerik
    hendinerik Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed and found the movie interesting on this, and I'm sure it works for some people who have that type of iron discipline and can get themselves off animal protein, but I personally thrive on eating solid food and I like to eat a lot of fruits, veggies and lean meats. I have maintained an over 25lb loss since August-September.

I have not seen the movie in a while so I can't remember what he says about fiber but for me eating protein and fiber are essential, and I like tasting the food.

I think what he did in the movie is amazing but to me it always struck me as an extreme solution.

You'll get lots of diff opinions on this one... good luck if you do it! I have a hard time picturing how one would have enough energy for work outs and exercise that also go a long way towards health, but it certainly seemed to work for the guy in the movie.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

you don't go out while you are juicing, people don't live like this forever, or you just enjoy a cup of tea or water. Please, do your research before you speak. Your body doesn't distinguish between juice and solid food, you chew up solid food before you swallow it and it all goes through the digestive system the same way. This is not as unhealthy as you make it out to be, eating fast greesy fried food is waaaay more unhealthy then extracting the vitamins and minerals from fruit and veggies so your body can absorb them better. I think most people against this either think it is starving (which is it most definitely not!! you should see how many fruits and veggies I juice daily) or are jealous because they don't believe they can do it themselves. If it is for health, and not a quick fix (at least it is for me anyway), it can be a very poweful and useful tool to be used in your daily life even when you are not only juicing. I can't say the same about eating crappy fast food while losing weight.

fair enough, it's not forever, but 60 days is a LONG time, and why put yourself through that sort of regimen? I don't advocate eating greasy fast food but you can go out and eat and have good quality beautiful food that forms part of a healthy diet.

My issue with 'extracting vitamins and minerals' from fruit and veggies is that no one really knows how micronutrients interact. for instance I believe that studies have shown tomatoes interact with live oil in a way that allows better absorbtion of the nutrients than just eating a tomato. The Italians found that out by taste.

I enjoy food. I enjoy plenty of vegetables in their natural state, some protein etc. I like the colour of food when it is presented nicely on a plate, I like to taste the different flavours. I haven't been in a fast food restaurant for fifteen years and then it was probably only to use the toilet.

Yes, your digestive system processes food that is in a broken down state. But it gets broken down by chewing, and whilst chewing you produce saliva which begins the digestive process in the mouth. The process of chewing also starts the process of prooducing digestive bacteria in the gut. I DO think we should take more of our foods combined with liquid in the form of suops, but in the way that the chinese do, which is more of a consomme than a pulverised liquid.

I'm far more in favour of a lifestyle change that allows you to ENJOY life rather than develop what can turn into an unhealthy relationship with food.
  • NeverGivesUp
    Options
    my point is that it can easily be worked into a very healthy lifestyle even if you never ONLY juice. I feel great and am letting my body dictate how healthy this is for me. Extracting the vitamins and minerals in their purest form only helps them absorb quicker and better into your system. Not to mention it promotes eating fruits and veggies afterwards. I can't tell you how many food diaries( of my friends) I read that have one or maybe even no fruits and veggies in them whatsoever. A lifestyle change means incorporating foods like veggies and fruits, and lots of them into the daily food intake. No, tomato sauce on pizza doesn't count!! What juicing does is introduce all these foods into your life and help you make the change from eating crap. How can that be a bad thing if done properly?? No one juices only forever, this is a healthy tool and that is all.
  • ImprovingEla
    ImprovingEla Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    To live on juice for 60 days! I think you would have to put me on a island with no one else on it!
    And even then I think I would be able to find a way to go nuclear on the people within a 100 mile radius:tongue:

I love food and I love it solid, so for me this would be an absolute no go, but to each their own and really maybe a short time will help you to get your system restarted or something.
    But I also agree, for loosing a lot of weight, better look for a healthier solution, that includes eating solid food, because honestly there will be a day when you have to do this again and ending up in a hospital because your colon cannot handle it would be sad.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    no

unless you don't mind losing a LARGE amount of muscle mass
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    my point is that it can easily be worked into a very healthy lifestyle even if you never ONLY juice. I feel great and am letting my body dictate how healthy this is for me. Extracting the vitamins and minerals in their purest form only helps them absorb quicker and better into your system. Not to mention it promotes eating fruits and veggies afterwards. I can't tell you how many food diaries( of my friends) I read that have one or maybe even no fruits and veggies in them whatsoever. A lifestyle change means incorporating foods like veggies and fruits, and lots of them into the daily food intake. No, tomato sauce on pizza doesn't count!! What juicing does is introduce all these foods into your life and help you make the change from eating crap. How can that be a bad thing if done properly?? No one juices only forever, this is a healthy tool and that is all.

your body needs fat from your diet. some micronutrients are only fat soluble. if you only eat fruits and vegetables, are you getting enough fat in your diet?

http://www.livestrong.com/article/314612-what-are-the-dangers-of-a-fat-free-diet/
  • johloz
    johloz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    no

unless you don't mind losing a LARGE amount of muscle mass

This. And you should NEVER make a dietary change this radical without the supervision of a doctor.

As argued, it may be better than eating fried, greasy foods all the time, but that's assuming the only two options are eating crap or living off of juice. An even BETTER option is to learn good and sustainable eating habits.
  • montsefamily
    Options
    You can`t live like that for so long .... I love eating and I think I would not last a day having just juice for lunch :) .
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Yea, except like someone else said, as soon as you go back to normal food - you're going to lose weight..... so to the person trying to get that last 7lbs off - you're wasting your time with this. it'll come back and then some.... just do it right, eat well rounded. Your body needs protein and there's very limited protein in fruits & veggies.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    As I remember it juicing bacon wasn't part of the deal so it loses some appeal for me.

I did enjoy the way he inspired others though.
  • GwynnBochanan
    GwynnBochanan Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about the 'Fat, sick, and nearly dead' documentary, but I agree with some who have posted. It is better to lose the weight slowly. I have lost 35 lbs over the last year. That being said there have been a number of times in the last year when I wasn't active with my nutrition and exercise but even with fluctuations in my diet and exercise I managed to maintain or at least minimize the weight gain until I started again. If you are going to use an intense 60 day (any challenge not just this documentary) like some others have said be sure that you are using it as a tool to help incorporate into a healthy long term lifestyle. Hope I am not sounding preachy I just wanted to share what I have learned.:smile:
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I do not see how you would get all of your protein out of this diet. I agree with the previous response that there is no way you could continue this type of diet forever. You might lose some but as soon as you get off the pounds will pack on. What a waste of time & energy!
    Oh, so you tried it? Thanks for enlightening us with your personal experience.
  • Whirlagirl
    Options
    I tried one of the hybrid programs on their site for a month over the summer and I lost weight, felt an increase in energy, and enjoyed eating vegetable snacks with a main meal during the day. After about two weeks I was sick and tired of drinking veggie juice, though. Much more enjoy eating the whole food to juicing it.