SHOES OR NO SHOES??

Options

Replies

• shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    All these!
    I would say it depends on whether you usually walk around your house barefoot so your feet are already stronger than if you wear shoes all the time.
    Just be aware, it may take some time to adjust if you're not used to being barefoot/wearing minimalist shoes.
    Depends on the type of exercise you're doing. Sometimes shoes can help with better traction,form, and things like that. However, if you can comfortably perform your exercises without wearing shoes then go for it.
    It makes no difference on exercises that don't require you to stand but, particularly on exercises like squats and dead lifts, I find that being barefoot provides much greater stability.

Lunges too, but I wear Vibram FiveFingers or Merrell Pace Gloves (usually these, since I wear them to work, too - all black version). The only time I don't wear one or the other (or completely barefoot in my own home to exercise), is outside for training on the pitch where I have to wear cleats for traction.
  • 1lexisva
    1lexisva Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses :)
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I never wear shoes in my home, I don't add them when exercising. Part of that is just because I hate shoes. And most of it is because my house is carpeted and working out with shoes on carpeting can be dangerous, the tread does not 'slide' over carpet the way it does over tile or wood and that makes you stumble. *If* my ankle is acting up, I will put shoes on though. But I prefer barefoot.
  • johloz
    johloz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I usually do my exercises in the house and sometimes I wear shoes sometimes I don't....Does it really matter?

I sometimes do my exercises in the house and don't wear clothes.... Hope that's not a problem either.
  • Akumu
    Akumu Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hhmmm, I've always been told wearing shoes is a must when working out because you need the stability....will have to look into this.
  • BethanyRTS
    Options
    I have to wear shoes---otherwise I feel like I'm actually pulling muscles in my feet!:glasses:
  • 1lexisva
    Options
    I have to wear shoes---otherwise I feel like I'm actually pulling muscles in my feet!:glasses:

I think at the end of my fitness videos we stretch out so I don't pull any muscles although it felt like my muscle in my leg almost pulled this am...lol Like I felt it coming
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Lifting - No
    Cardio - Yes

...and I workout @ home.
  • 1lexisva
    Options
    I do cardio for beginners
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Shoes can help compensate for exercising on the wrong type of floor. If you have a cement foundation, the floor is not going to have as much give or spring as one you would find in a dance/aerobics studio. If you are doing high impact (jumping), and notice foot, knee, hip, or back pain, consider getting some shoes. If that hasn't been a problem, you're probably fine without!
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I used to work in a shoe store and this really went against the fact that I sold shoes. Humans were not created to wear shoes. Millions of years ago, THEY DIDN'T WEAR SHOES!! So get your shoes off as much as possible :)
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    ykjtyktyk.jpg
    pair for the gym and a pair for running
  • 1lexisva
    Options
    ykjtyktyk.jpg
    pair for the gym and a pair for running

Those are Nice!!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I never wear shoes in my house. But I don't have a treadmill or an elliptical, I'm only doing videos & stuff.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    The only workout I don't wear shoes for is yoga.
  • _KATzMeow
    _KATzMeow Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I don't like feet.
  • Countryboy_
    Options
    If you do not wear shoes when you exercise, you do not burn nearly as many calories. Of course, if you do not wear shoes when you eat, you do not ingest nearly as many calories either...so on the average...its a wash.
  • toya316
    toya316 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Depends on the type of exercise you're doing. Sometimes shoes can help with better traction,form, and things like that. However, if you can comfortably perform your exercises without wearing shoes then go for it.

DITTO...
  • stetienne
    stetienne Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I usually do my exercises in the house and sometimes I wear shoes sometimes I don't....Does it really matter?

I sometimes do my exercises in the house and don't wear clothes.... Hope that's not a problem either.

Me too...but I do wear shoes.
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    As long as they don't stink...